You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Workflow with aperture

With photoshop I choose in Aperture Edit with…, work on my photo and save the picture ( ⌘S), the changes appearing Aperture.

With Affinity Photo saving the picture don't work well. The Save function ask every time for a location to save the picture and won't save the open picture to his original place (e.g. in Aperture Library). It makes the work between Aperture and Photo not really practicable. 

am I making something wrong?

jfg, this will work if you set Aperture preferences in General > Export > External Photo Editor to be AP.  However, you can only choose TIFF or PSD as the file format and some AP Photo persona features will not work (or not yet, at any rate).   

Retina iMac (4K display, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM) OS X 10.11.6  Capture One 10.

Aperture preferences are already set to use AP as external Photo Editor. It is not the problem. The picture open in AP and I can work on it. Save the picture is the problem. It is impossible to save directly the picture. AP open always the save as… menu and will make a new file in any place I want except the Aperture Library. And I don't want to create a new file. Aperture made already a new file by sending to AP. This workflow work well with Photoshop and Pixelmator.

Hi, jfg... this is not the behaviour I see. Aperture will create the TIFF file, send it to AP; I do my editing, and hit CMD+S; AP will ask about flattening, which I OK and I then CMD+Q out of AP and will be back in Aperture. The next time I edit the same TIFF file (that version in the stack in Aperture) it won't create a new version, otherwise works the same. However, if I don't save the file in AP but try to quit with CMD+Q or the menu, AP will ask for Save As...  

So maybe the solution is to Save first in AP and then quit out of it. This works fine.

I get the same error, when I hit Command + S, I get the Save Dialogue box and AP tries to save an .afphoto file...

UPDATE: this happens for both 16 bit PSDs and TIFFs coming out of Aperture

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

This works for me:

Select photo, then:

Photos > Edit with AP 

Sends it to AP, do your editing, then:

File > Share > Add to Aperture

(No need to save it in AP).

That sends the edited photo back to Aperture as a new project (but it will tell you the Project name in the Aperture screen).

thanks for the workaround, @billtils...

wish AP allowed you to save the same file it got handed... weird...

This works for me:

Select photo, then:

Photos > Edit with AP 

Sends it to AP, do your editing, then:

File > Share > Add to Aperture

(No need to save it in AP).

That sends the edited photo back to Aperture as a new project (but it will tell you the Project name in the Aperture screen).

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

Hmm... I just tried it again and it worked... very odd.... Perhaps I didn't Flatten last time, it's the only thing it could be...

I make a new try after a new start back to german language. I don't think that there is a relation but now it is working with tiff pictures from Aperture, not with psd.

But if I compare with the workflow with photoshop it is not very good because with the flattened I lost the layer in the document. With Photoshop the layer stay in tiff and psd pictures.

Ronnie and jpg, not sure about the effect of flattening on the flow, as I only use AP for image development.   And we are stuck with TIFF for the Aperture round trip as that is the default there.

(As an aside, I like lots of the things in AP, but the absence of a proper print UI makes it a waste of time for me and I have gone back to Pixelmator as my default image editor.   I'll be back here if and when there is a beta that fixes the printing).

• 2 weeks later...

I agree the saving is convoluted in that if you open a .jpg or .tif and res save you get an affinity file and have to export to get back to .jpg or .tif love those compact layered affinity files but not sure my clients are ready. Could be I'm missing something though.

• 10 months later...

Hmm... I just tried it again and it worked... very odd.... Perhaps I didn't Flatten last time, it's the only thing it could be...

Hi Ronny,

I just realized that it matters whether you export an 8 bit or a 16 bit TIF to AP from aperture. If I open "Preferences ... > Export" in Aperture and set the export file format to "TIFF 16-Bit" and use Affinity Photo as external editor, I can actually simply save an edited file in AP after agreeing to flatten it in the dialogue that appears. However, when I set the export file format to "TIFF 8-Bit", I can't save the file from with AP. I hope that this helps.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.