You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Color wheel improvements

Hello,

After several months of using Affinity Designer, the color wheel is still really bugging me. I've given it a fair chance, but it feels clunky and not as nice as the panel in Photoshop.

This is for a few reasons;

1) Only one single panel (RGB Hex Slider) has the "hex code" input field

2) Multiple clicks are required to change panel type (click dropdown, then click selection)

3) Sliders are small and fiddly to use

4) Overall it doesn't feel nice to use

I'd love to see something like the Photoshop panel, or an improvement of.

Thoughts?

I find the default color wheel preferable in AD, but you are absolutely correct about hex codes (used for web work mostly). I think in the hex code myself.

Mixing paints and understanding color is by far my strongest skill in art. I find the current wheel very intuitive, but depending on the task it would be nice to have some option. If you have enough screen space you can separate the tools, then use View>Apple Color Picker. That's a clunky solution though.

Hello,

After several months of using Affinity Designer, the color wheel is still really bugging me. I've given it a fair chance, but it feels clunky and not as nice as the panel in Photoshop.

This is for a few reasons;

1) Only one single panel (RGB Hex Slider) has the "hex code" input field

2) Multiple clicks are required to change panel type (click dropdown, then click selection)

3) Sliders are small and fiddly to use

4) Overall it doesn't feel nice to use

I'd love to see something like the Photoshop panel, or an improvement of.

Thoughts?

I agree, I like the color wheel much better than the Apple color picker.  The wheel has a few minor problems, but seems so much more versatile.  

If you have the screen space the AD color chooser is really my choice.  When displaying the color wheel it is larger making it easier to use and does away with some of the problems of the smaller version.  It allows input of RGB (hex and decimal), HSL, and CMYK!  It also has several other modes of display and operation like RGB, HSL and CMYK sliders, hue, lightness and saturation.  These screens all allow the data input.  But they also allow crossovers to other color characteristics.  Like the saturation slider allows a hue and lightness change also.  The hue screen allows extreme control of the hue and throws in saturation and lightness.

It's by far my favorite color selector in any program.  Whichever of the designers came up with this screen deserves a lot of attaboys (and more) in my opinion!   :D  AD seems to want to keep this screen a secret, but in my opinion they should be shouting from the rooftops about it.   <_<

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra