varlien

Embedded Affinity Photo files in Designer has PDF export issues.

Hey there!

I'm wondering if anyone is having any issues with exporting PDFs from Affinity Designer. 

I have this Affinity Photo file which has been embedded in my Affinity Designer document (I wish there was a way to link to an Affinity Photo file instead of embedding it... any way) but when I go to export the Affinity Designer as a PDF (With the preset PDF (For Export, For Print, For Web) the exported PDF file is messed up. I have to flatten when I export the PDF in order to fix this. See attached screenshots of what I mean. 

I also have the same issue with any adjustments that have been made to an image in Affinity Photo and then imported to Affinity Designer. When I export the PDF from Affinity Designer. The PDF completely ignores all adjustments that I had made on the image. I have to flatten it to fix that. 

Any help will be appreciated! 

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 4.10.00 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-07-01 at 4.11.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 4.11.19 PM.png

That's an interesting issue.

If the embedded image and the document in AD are in CMYB, the embedded image will show without layer effect (it's not the solution,  halas).

If the embedded image is RVB and the document is CMYB, the effect will be visible when using no transparency  (PDF/X-1a:2003 to PDF/X4), images are flattened in this type of PDF;
but will be truncated using PDF 1.7.

The strange part is CMYB + CMYB don't give the result expected.

2018-07-01_232642.thumb.png.dfd79306f68a28ae7eb3e6dfd943239a.png

When testing with RVB document and RVB/CMYK, only the PDF/1a:-2003 and PDF/3-2003 are   showing the effect.

2018-07-01_235619.thumb.png.ab809f0dbe8cb51d9c0ac8944021555e.png

You need to test too, and depending of the expected result, if you need a PDF for print, it would be better to use a flattened layer to avoid error or unexpected results.

Hi varlien

I'm not getting the same effect as you here. Are you able to attach your afdesign file with the embedded afphoto file that demonstrates the issue for you for us to take a look at? Also are you performing any other transforms on the embedded document other than just the initial placement?

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

8 hours ago, Chris_K said:

Hi varlien

I'm not getting the same effect as you here. Are you able to attach your afdesign file with the embedded afphoto file that demonstrates the issue for you for us to take a look at? Also are you performing any other transforms on the embedded document other than just the initial placement?

Thanks

Hi @Chris_K

Yeah something weird is going on. Here are my files. Same issue still. Haven't done any transformations with the image when placing it in Affinity Designer. Weird bug.

I also embedded a PSD image file into Affinity Designer with the same adjustments and I'm still getting that weird PDF export issue.  :(

Attached files.

Thanks!

Untitled.pdf

Untitled.afdesign

IMG_7262.afphoto

@Chris_K

Another example. An image in this document has some adjustments made directly in Affinity Designer. But when I export it as a PDF the adjustments are missing. See screenshots below. I have to choose preset PDF (Flatten) to fix this issue (which I don't really want to do since the fonts wont be vectorized). 

THanks! 

Screen Shot 2018-07-02 at 1.49.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-02 at 1.49.23 PM.png

Double-click on the placed APhoto file from within AD. Drag the adjustment layer and nest it within the image layer like:

capture-001945.png.905009371c4c7023fd16b08aa74e1dfe.png

Then try the PDF export again.

Mike

1 minute ago, MikeW said:

Double-click on the placed APhoto file from within AD. Drag the adjustment layer and nest it within the image layer like:

capture-001945.png.905009371c4c7023fd16b08aa74e1dfe.png

Then try the PDF export again.

Mike

ok that's weird. Why did that fix the issue? I'm so confused now. 

I believe that because it is not clipped to a layer it is only covering the original native area of the embedded document, not the resized area. Not to say that this is correct. I'll get this passed on to the development team

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

6 hours ago, Chris_K said:

I believe that because it is not clipped to a layer it is only covering the original native area of the embedded document, not the resized area. Not to say that this is correct. I'll get this passed on to the development team

Thanks @Chris_K