You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello people,

I am new to Affinity Designer and have a question to which I cannot really find the answer online. Hope someone here can help me. I have attached some pictures to clarify. 

I want to create a baseball cap made up of 4 separate shapes made with the pen tool. This because I want to add different fill colors to each shape. Is there a way to make Affinity close the lines of each shape automatically, so it follows the exact form of the adjacent line?  

If not, how would you go about it? 

Regards,

Marlon

Schermafbeelding 2018-07-01 om 16.10.41.png

Schermafbeelding 2018-07-01 om 16.11.17.png

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Marlon. :)

There is a Knife Tool on the Affinity Designer roadmap, but that just means it will be added in a free update at some point during the 1.x development cycle. We’re currently waiting for the version 1.7 update, so the wait for the Knife Tool could be a long one!

At the moment your best course of action is to create overlapping objects to give you the required lines where you want them (e.g. a semicircle for the main body of the cap, and an overlapping circle for the line that cuts through the middle of it) and then use the ‘Divide’ command to produce multiple separate shapes.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

That's basically what I was going to say but more elegantly put!

One of the main things I miss from using Corel Draw is a fill tool which works exactly like a fill tool in Photoshop or some other raster program but creates a vector shape. You would still have to close (or at least overlap) those lines to create a closed space but Corel does not need it to be an actual single item. You just click inside and it fills it with a shape with a fill. I really wish that serif could implement this for us.

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

6 minutes ago, Phil_rose said:

That's basically what I was going to say but more elegantly put!

Thanks, Phil!

One of the main things I miss from using Corel Draw is a fill tool which works exactly like a fill tool in Photoshop or some other raster program but creates a vector shape. You would still have to close (or at least overlap) those lines to create a closed space but Corel does not need it to be an actual single item. You just click inside and it fills it with a shape with a fill. I really wish that serif could implement this for us.

They added something like that to the last version of DrawPlus, so it’s clearly a question of how and when, rather than “if”.

Meanwhile, I’ve attached a quick screenshot illustrating what I was suggesting to the OP.

20FF9DDB-B67A-4670-B01D-68ADA825F0A0.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png

For things like this, I tend to rely more on layer stacking & nesting than on division, something like this:782553017_caplayers.png.ad89f606350d9029281579f3400185d9.png

This lets me be much sloppier drawing some shapes like the nested 2nd color piece of the cap & the inner part of the bill (which isn't even a closed shape) & can make some later editing changes like fine tuning the shape of the cap easier. Just something to think about.

cap.afdesign

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 7/1/2018 at 8:34 AM, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Thanks, Phil!

They added something like that to the last version of DrawPlus, so it’s clearly a question of how and when, rather than “if”.

Meanwhile, I’ve attached a quick screenshot illustrating what I was suggesting to the OP.

20FF9DDB-B67A-4670-B01D-68ADA825F0A0.jpeg

They did? I had the last edition of DrawPlus and I don't remember that. Interesting. Maybe I need to reinstall!

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

13 minutes ago, Phil_rose said:

I had the last edition of DrawPlus and I don't remember that.

https://community.serif.com/appresources/DPX8/Help/en-us/help/flooding_areas.htm

Alfred spacer.png

Cor blimey. I can't wait for Affinity Designer to catch up to DP in these ways. In so many ways AD is so much better but damn, we need those too! 

I still use PagePlus as I have since 1994 and can't wait for Publisher to come out!

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com