You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1. Does this happen on any other program/s.
  2. Have you tested your computers Memory
  3. Is the Computer running hot

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

6 hours ago, WaldoUSA said:

The title says it all. Windows shuts down when I am using Affinity Photo. It happens fairly often. I usually have multiple files open. I have run the diagnostic software and cleaned everything there is to clean.

I had something similar a while back. It turned out to be a memory module (1 of 4).

There is a RAM tester (Memory Diagnostic Tool) built in to Windows, in Control panel under Administrative tools. Search for Memory.

That tracked it down and I eventually found and ended up discarding the offending memory chip. It took a bit of trying, removing the chips one at a time and starting Windows again until I found the bad one but I got there in the end. It all worked perfectly after that, despite being down to 12 mb.

I suggest you start with that.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

I would also suspect memory chip issues, based on my experience with a prior computer.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I've had exactly the same problem, though it wasn't always with AP.  I eventually went through the system log and found that the SmartPower service was causing the problem - once that was disabled I had no more problems.  Regardless of the actual cause it's worth going through the log.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

If you are talking about the "Blue screen of Death" that happens in Windows it is pretty much always the result of a hardware problem and almost never the result of a software malfunction. Sorting out what the hardware problem might be can be vexing. As @toltec and @walt.farrell say, memory chips are a common cause, failing hard drives are also common as are nearly full hard drives. A bit more insidious are electronic failures that are intermittent and pop up when the hardware gets hot. Video cards can often be the issue and occasionally a video card driver can be the culprit. This last is probably the best place to start as installing the newest version of your video card's driver is an easy, painless fix.

• Staff

@WaldoUSA

The project lead for Windows builds of Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo has explained that our software cannot make Windows shut down or crash. I hope with some more information from you, that we can give you some advice and help you stop this. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I suspect that the title may not really say it all, that the OP does not literally mean that the computer actually shuts down or maybe even that Windows crashes.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Could also be Windows updating, check to see if any updates were applied around the same time. 

Windows Memory Tester (WMT) is ok but I've had modules that pass with WMT but fail with Memtest86 or Memtest86+ and I trust Memtest over Windows.

Event-viewer might throw some light on the issue. https://www.howtogeek.com/school/using-windows-admin-tools-like-a-pro/lesson3/

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Agreed- if the system's showing a "shutting down" message it's more likely to be a process doing the right thing at the wrong time rather than something that's generating error messages.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10