grayhaze

Unable to disable dithering on PNG export

I'm currently taking the plunge and switching to Affinity Designer from Fireworks for creating graphics for my games. Currently the biggest issue for me is the inability to disable dithering when exporting to a PNG, specifically around gradients, regardless of whether the "Dither gradients" setting is turned off in the Performance tab of Preferences. The reason this is needed is that I create a lot of 9-slice graphics, sections of which are resized on screen in the game to create things like variable sized buttons. If I use a gradient for these graphics, I end up with lots of ugly little lines all over the final result due to the dithering on the exported image.

Unfortunately, I discovered this much too late and have already spent a lot of time redrawing all the graphics for my current game in AD. Please can you give me an idea of if/when this will be fixed so that all this work doesn't go to waste? There are many situations where you'd want to disable dithering, so this seems like a strange omission, especially as you can already disable it within the app itself.

@grayhaze,

Can you show with and without dithering when you export?

I tested on an illustration from Frankentoon I was re-doing, and it seems the only way to get dithering is when I select it while exporting.  Does it only happen with specific OS?

That's the test I did, and that's why I asked an example, since there's no problem with the gradients exported from AD or with the Beta.

I did again the test with AD, but the result is the same as with the Beta, no dithering unless I paletizze. The dithered result you're talking about is the same as in the right part of this example?
(I put the model in the top left corner if someone want to look at/search the original illustration).

PNG_noDithering.thumb.png.081024bad37937962048caf736faf0d6.png

Ok, I can see it on some gradients when I zoom a lot (1000+). That's more visible on some gradients than others.

We noticed in another thread that exported files with gradients using some mode were strange too.

Here a radial gradient, full image and the color picked from this image (first column is the gradient colors I picked, the second one is what I would expect)test_degrade_8bits_CMJN.thumb.jpg.e533dbd61265cf33338822993a389338.jpg.2018-04-24_080254.png.2605b67b4ea387e2bcffc4b737ee8483.png

So you're saying it's not going to be fixed because the developers don't consider it an issue, despite a section of the user base saying it's a problem for their workflow? Well, I guess I won't be using Affinity Designer for future projects or recommending the product to others. :/

On 7/1/2018 at 5:00 PM, Wosven said:

Ok, I can see it on some gradients when I zoom a lot (1000+). That's more visible on some gradients than others.

We noticed in another thread that exported files with gradients using some mode were strange too.

Here a radial gradient, full image and the color picked from this image (first column is the gradient colors I picked, the second one is what I would expect)

It doesn't take a lot to be able to see the issue. Here's a rectangle with a linear gradient, rasterized, then adjusted for contrast. I understand why this might be desirable for those using AD for print or web design, but for those of us who want some control over how our work is exported it's a massive pain.

dither.png