You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Clipping product photos to a white background

I have lots of product shots (shot on white foam core) which have inconsistent white backgrounds (I set the white balance when shooting but it always ends up off-white to some degree).  Is there a quick way to get a consistent white background on all of the shots? They will appear side-by-side on my online shop, so I need consistency. 

Hi Annie, what lighting if any are you using to take the images and what camera?

All light has some colouration which can be shown by its Kelvin rating, depending on the light source, be it natural or artificial it will create a colour cast, pitching at around 5600 - 6000 kelvin would get you a nicer light with a lilt towards the bluer spectrum.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

The selection brush w. snap to edges turned on will quickly grab the background. Then "Edit/Fill" will replace the shaded areas w. a flat color.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

5 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @Annie2. :)

Use the Erase White Paper filter and then add a background layer filled with white (or any colour of your choice).

I'd rather use a selection and a level mask or a fill layer (if I want to keep the original file with layers).

"Erase white paper" add transparency when some colours aren't 100%, and don't erase some light colored pixels.  For example, when I use it I need to add a white background behind the logo's parts and clean up the background before exporting with transparency.

@firstdefence I have tried using both natural light (shooting outside) and artificial light, shooting with a Canon DSLR and a macro lens. I set the white balance for the lighting and bracket shoot to see the variations in the background, but seem to get different results even within the same shoot.  I will definitely need to practice more with shooting the images which should give me less work post-production!  Thanks for your tip on the lighting source.