You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I had once before Affinity Photo trial version which expired loong time ago, and after that, some time ago my system crashed (not connected to affinity) and I had to repair my system.
My registry got screwed up and I did repair through the re-import and fixing it.

Now, when I try to re-install affinity to try it out again, it doesn't let me.

Showing up only error to contact  Support, because the config data is damaged ....

Now, I can download and install try out version to my tablet, and take a look at, but, if I want to purchase this full version, is it going to work??

Thanks in advance.

• Staff

You could try using this app from Microsoft to see if it allows to remove the app: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed

If that doesn't work, please post a screenshot of the error you get when trying to reinstall/uninstall.

I'm sure we can get it fixed for you :)

Hi Leigh,

thanks for fast answer.

Didn't work, can't find it installed/de-installed.

I did run deinstaller and de-install it but with that M$ Tool, can't find Affinity at all.

Here is the screenshot, in German, but said that Config Data for this product is damaged, and I need to get in touch with Support.

:)

2018-06-30_10h38_46.jpg

A potential solution is offered here: http://rscc.co.uk/configuration-product-corrupt-attempting-install/

If that still doesn’t work, enable installer logging to gather additional information which may help to pinpoint the cause of the problem.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks Alfred,

Thanks for suggestion, but that 1st link didn't open up at all, something is wrong with.

The other one I already tried it, still same issue and same error after trying to run install.

Still no go.

20 minutes ago, dinok said:

Thanks for suggestion, but that 1st link didn't open up at all, something is wrong with.

The link works fine for me. Basically, it says this is a generic error that can occur when a previous install has left bad info in the registry. To fix it, you need to find the key that relates to that product & either delete it or rename it, like by adding an -“old” suffix. If the appropriate key is not obvious, you can use Process Monitor to find it.

You could also try a web search on "configuration data for this product is corrupt" or similar, which should find that link among several others.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 minutes ago, R C-R said:

To fix it, you need to find the key that relates to that product

The key will be under HKLM\Software\Classes\Installer\Products\

My second link didn’t point to a fix. It just described how to turn on installer logging to provide more clues for troubleshooting purposes.

Alfred spacer.png

Do you now have a log file that you could send to Affinity Support?

Alfred spacer.png

As explained in the Windows Support article, the log file will be in your %Temp% folder and it will have a name like msib3a6g.log (i.e. beginning with ‘msi’ and ending with ‘.log’).

Alfred spacer.png

=== Verbose logging started: 30.06.2018  16:47:54  Build type: SHIP UNICODE 5.00.10011.00  Calling process: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msiexec.exe ===
MSI (c) (E0:70) [16:47:54:712]: Font created.  Charset: Req=0, Ret=0, Font: Req=MS Shell Dlg, Ret=MS Shell Dlg

MSI (c) (E0:70) [16:47:54:712]: Font created.  Charset: Req=0, Ret=0, Font: Req=MS Shell Dlg, Ret=MS Shell Dlg

MSI (c) (E0:9C) [16:47:54:743]: Resetting cached policy values
MSI (c) (E0:9C) [16:47:54:743]: Machine policy value 'Debug' is 7
MSI (c) (E0:9C) [16:47:54:743]: ******* RunEngine:
           ******* Product: C:\Users\myname\AppData\Local\Temp\AffinitySetup\8756e35e-7c74-11e8-bf8f-54bef7170574\Affinity.msi
           ******* Action: 
           ******* CommandLine:  TRANSFORMS="C:\Users\myname\AppData\Local\Temp\AffinitySetup\8756e35e-7c74-11e8-bf8f-54bef7170574\language.mst" 
MSI (c) (E0:9C) [16:47:54:743]: Machine policy value 'DisableUserInstalls' is 0
MSI (c) (E0:9C) [16:47:54:775]: Unexpected or missing value (name: 'PackageName', value: '') in key 'HKLM\Software\Classes\Installer\Products\1B5C44994E7FA4143BBBDE00D18A4618\SourceList'

MSI (c) (E0:9C) [16:47:54:775]: MainEngineThread is returning 1610
=== Verbose logging stopped: 30.06.2018  16:47:54 ===

Could it be a possible way to use some restore point of your system from a time (from a date previous to the manual fix you made) when everything was working nicely? It wont delete any user files you have made after that, it only touches system changes -often good to remove a virus- . In any case, like with any change, more than recommended to do a full data backup (ie, to a external HD) before (which is always healthy, no matter what)

System restore is enabled by default in every windows. I'm speaking about all versions till Windows 7, have not checked in Win 10 (I believe 8.x has it). I'd be shocked if 10 does not have it. Is a life saver.

In windows 7 you can even access it from previous to full boot -hence being so good for some hard (in boot sector, or a bit later, or the freakin' root viruses) to kill virus- , but for this case you can do it normally, inside Windows. It typically stores a point with any system change, although depends on config. I've removed (many) viruses without an antivirus, fixing it remotely (users from even other continent, with that lovely ping) using Teamviewer , booting from DOS and using an old restore point. So, if that's possible, here it should be, pretty well. Is just a normal restore point operation.

Manually fixing the key is faster, and surely safer if not very experienced with that other stuff. I am just suggesting this if everything fails. I've used restore points countless times, in my machine and many others. About the best things in Windows. At some company we used full system and disk images with which we'd dump fully a system back with all third party software installed, configured and with shortcuts,data, etc (all in the time it'd reads it from a DVD as backup, unattended). That's another approach, but only practical for certain situations, and very well planned.  The restore points, well used, are extremely useful in cases like this. But I hope you can solve it just editing the registry.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

thanks for answer.

Nothing is wrong with my laptop, already installed / reinstalled few other software, and updating some others just fine.

Only affinity doesn't work.

I am curious, if I buy full version, if I would have any issue with install or not.
I wanted to re-install this, just to test before I buy.

But, if I can't install it, how can I then buy full version?

On 7/2/2018 at 2:26 PM, Leigh said:

Can you remember which key you deleted from HKLM\Software\Classes\Installer\Products\?

Possibly something to do with this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ae/help/971187

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 minute ago, dinok said:

Thanks for the tip, will try.

Be careful when messing with Windows Registry, it can be the fastest way to screwing your system up, ALWAYS backup your documents first just in case things don't go well. and always export a full registry prior to modifying or deleting registry keys etc. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

always export a full registry prior to modifying or deleting registry keys etc. 

You should only need to export the registry key that you’re going to modify or delete.

Alfred spacer.png

51 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

You should only need to export the registry key that you’re going to modify or delete.

True but it doesn't hurt to have a complete backup as well. I used to use JV16 to tinker with the registry.

• 1 month later...

hmmm

quick update on this matter.

I just re-downloaded again, after long vacation,  Affinity photo trial, and run install, after that open just fine with few more days to test.

Will post more after testing is done.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestion and tips.

Btw, I have not changed anything on the laptop, just downloaded and installed newest version.