You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Synchronise Defaults

The documentation states that this works for 'fill attributes'. But whenever I draw a shape, change opacity then click the 'Sychronise defaults from this selection', the opacity always reverts back to 100%.
Why does it not store opacity information? It makes vector drawing a real pain.

1.PNG

2.PNG

• Staff

Hi Kiarian,

Are you using the opacity slider in the colour tab or are you using the Layer opacity menu? This works for me when using the slider in the colour tab.

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

5 minutes ago, Callum said:

Hi Kiarian,

Are you using the opacity slider in the colour tab or are you using the Layer opacity menu? This works for me when using the slider in the colour tab.

Thanks

Callum

Hi Callum,

Not sure what you mean. I select the shape with the opacity already set to 20%, to set this as the default. When I then select the pen tool, to then draw out a shape, it's always set to 100% fill.
I set the opacity beforehand either by pressing the number keys 1 to 10 (10% to 100%), or I manually set the opacity. 

• Staff

Ah Sorry I thought you were referring to quick shapes unfortunately I dont think you can change the default colour and opacity for closed curves drawn with the Pen Tool.

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

No probs. You would think 'Synchronise defaults from this selection' would mean exactly that. From what I can make out, all it does is synchronise colour attributes. Does nothing at all with opacity settings. 

@Kiarian

I isn't really a "synchronise from defaults"

1 hour ago, Kiarian said:

Sychronise defaults from this selection

What it does is set the attributes of the selected item to be the current settings. "Defaults" is a bit misleading. "Set as current" would be better.

If you want to save opacity, set the opacity in here

set.jpg.1b539b7a2b7f57da363a56d318592b8a.jpg

Go, Edit > Defaults > Save

When you click on this one,

revert.jpg.bb0f93d2e8bc9ead082649f2a72459d0.jpg

It will apply whatever you saved as the current attributes for everything (including opacity if set in the context toolbar swatch, as shown) for shapes or closed paths. If something is selected, it applies the attributes to that.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

4 hours ago, Kiarian said:

That's disappointing. It seems to be a pretty lacklustre tool then. 

How so? If you set the opacity as @toltec shows above when any vector object is selected & click the Synchronize defaults from selection button in the toolbar, as the documentation says, that overrides the saved defaults for that document only. That applies to all other applicable stroke & fill attributes as well, including fill color & noise; stroke color, opacity, style, & width; & even the pressure curve for the solid line style.

So in effect, the app provides three sets of stroke & fill attribute defaults: the factory ones, the 'global' user settable ones, & the per document user settable overrides. The per document overrides are great for quickly creating a number of objects with the same stroke & fill attributes without needing to change your preferred global defaults. You can then switch back to the global ones with the Revert defaults button, or create a new per document override for some other objects.

I think one reason you were having problems with setting the opacity default may be that using the number keys changes the layer opacity, not either of the object attribute opacities. It is easy to overlook that functional distinction unless you happen to notice the change in the layer opacity in the Layers panel or are zoomed in far enough to notice that both stroke & fill opacity changes when using the number key shortcuts.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 6/29/2018 at 11:19 PM, R C-R said:

How so? If you set the opacity as @toltec shows above when any vector object is selected & click the Synchronize defaults from selection button in the toolbar, as the documentation says, that overrides the saved defaults for that document only. That applies to all other applicable stroke & fill attributes as well, including fill color & noise; stroke color, opacity, style, & width; & even the pressure curve for the solid line style.

Thanks Toltec/R C-R,

Understanding it more now. Yes, if I set the opacity as per Toltec said, then yes I can synchronise settings. The method I was using before would be to draw out a shape, use the number keys to quickly set the opacity and either turn stroke on or off, then synchronise settings on that selection, which does not work. Using the numerical keys only modifies the opacity in the Layers tab I can now see, and does not affect the opacity in the colour section. Got it now.