You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Not possible to export to custom resolution from 'Export' persona?

Am I right in understanding that it's not possible to use the 'export' persona to export an image file at a custom pixel size or resolution? In other words I can only choose from the standard options that Affinity gives me, like 2x, 3x, 100w and so on.

I'd like to export a slice, which is not the whole of my document, at a particular resolution. So, for example I have a document size of 5155x2766, and I've created a slice of the portion I want, which happens to measure 4050x2700, but I want to export it to create an image file that is 1440x960.

It seems that the only way I can do this is to crop the image in Photo persona, to the aspect ratio I want, and then use File - Export.

Is that right or am I missing something?

5 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

Hi @lineweight,

Welcome to the forums. 

You can define custom resolution in that dropdown. Pick any option from the drop-down, delete it, and type the dimensions in using this format: valueW, valueH. 

In your case, would be 1440W, 960H.

Give that a go. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Ah - thanks, that works, if a little counter intuitive.

Is there a way of saving it so that it's available in the dropdown in the future?

A further question - what if i want to export at a certain size (in mm) and resolution (in dpi) - I don't see how I can do this by typing into dropdown, it won't let me specify mm instead of px, and in any case there's no resolution option.

I also can't see how I can do this in the photo persona - the 'export' function doesn't seem to give me these options either.

Obviously I can just resize the document - but that cuts out the option of exporting different sizes/resolutions from the same file.

Am I missing something obvious?

58 minutes ago, lineweight said:

Obviously I can just resize the document - but that cuts out the option of exporting different sizes/resolutions from the same file.

After editing the image you use Document->Add Snapshot to preserve the file at it's full size/resolution. You could then resize the file and export your first size/resolution. Then use Document->Restore Snapshot to get back to the original. Then resize and export the second version, and continue like that as needed.

(Or, rather than using a Snapshot you could use the History pane to revert the file to the original before the resizing was done. But using a Snapshot seems simpler and safer, to me.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

You can only set the DPI in the resize document dialogue. As for the MM in export, have to set your canvas units to mm. When you draw your slices, in the Transform Panel you will have the measurements in MM. But you cannot put MM in the drop-down menu. It only accepts px values. 

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

After editing the image you use Document->Add Snapshot to preserve the file at it's full size/resolution. You could then resize the file and export your first size/resolution. Then use Document->Restore Snapshot to get back to the original. Then resize and export the second version, and continue like that as needed.

(Or, rather than using a Snapshot you could use the History pane to revert the file to the original before the resizing was done. But using a Snapshot seems simpler and safer, to me.)

Thanks. Haven't used snapshots before. But seems like a bit of a workaround for functionality that ought to be in the slices persona.