You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi folks,

Affinity's already allows calculations on input fields : HUGE thanks for this, really.

I would propose providing even more flexibility and power with "real math" everywhere.

Let's illustrate with an exemple:

I've done the following with Opacity (http://likethought.com/opacity/)

knob.png

http://drbl.in/hHAz

If you look closely, you'll see the know has stripes like a vinyl.

Here is it:

post-7538-0-79130300-1425045748_thumb.png

And this is how it's done:

post-7538-0-07134900-1425045800_thumb.png

Or why not this:

post-7538-0-50373900-1425046686_thumb.png

As you can imagine, the power of this is quite amazing:

• 100% parametric, you set it the way you want

• 100% non pixellated texture

• Not speaking about using formula in other fiels than color only (ie: this element is 50% of this one)

• You name it

WebSite.pngTwitter.png500px.pngFlickr.png

• Staff

Hi Tazintosh,

I did see your post and had another play with Opacity too - I do like it, but it does come across as a bit programmer-y, but that in itself is no bad thing... I think that the ability to do this stuff in addition to the way we currently do things would be great :)  We just have to think about the nicest ways to include some of the ideas, but to keep it approachable and fun :)

Thanks again! :)

Matt

[…] I think that the ability to do this stuff in addition to the way we currently do things would be great :)  We just have to think about the nicest ways to include some of the ideas, but to keep it approachable and fun :)

Hi Matt and thanks for the answer.

Obviously, it would be in addition and integrated in a better way.

As you read on my other post, many things are sadly wrong with Opacity (I only use it for opening old projects now, because it so slow, etc.), but it introduce some concepts and is still the only available software of his kind having some terrific features.

I'm not an illustrator stricto sensus, but I'm part of those people designing UI and thus more into flexibility of the features because we also project on “can this be done by code?”.

Flexibility (everything non destructive, speed, etc.) is the core of your amazing softwares.

You made from the dream of quitting Adobe something we can actually really touch, that's why I'm dreaming even more.

WebSite.pngTwitter.png500px.pngFlickr.png

The ability to do functions as implemented already is a huge plus. Making the tools deeper in the future can only help. The way the interface works means more complex functions will allow even crazier ways to do certain things. I was amazed at how I can go /3 then copy and paste and make infinite loops of shapes all the way to a million percent dividing by 3.

Vector art is about the math in my opinion. Advanced tools somewhere as an option would be great. 

Hi Tazintosh,

I did see your post and had another play with Opacity too - I do like it, but it does come across as a bit programmer-y, but that in itself is no bad thing... I think that the ability to do this stuff in addition to the way we currently do things would be great :)  We just have to think about the nicest ways to include some of the ideas, but to keep it approachable and fun :)

Thanks again! :)

Matt

Totally agree with having deep controls to the nuts and bolts of image making... The intersection of math and art always yields spectacular results...

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17