You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

.afphoto - this file type not supported

Beginning to evaluate Affinity photo editor and having a major problem.  

I edited a RAW file (.DNG format) using the develop tool.  Only modifications were to crop the image. Then I saved, it prompted for filename I gave it the name and it automatically supplied the suffix .afphoto. I accepted and closed the program.  Later, I returned to the program and attempted to open the previously saved session by opening the .afphoto file...the program responds with the panel saying "This file type is not supported"...i did check and the file is available and it is showing the affinity icon etc...is it because I am using the "trial" verson of the program?  

Thanks

Steve

UPDATE:  Apparently, the contents of the .afphoto file had been corrupted and was invalid.  I re-did the edits and re-saved the file and it worked properly the second time.  Would be nice if the error message was a bit more informative.

S

13 hours ago, Steve Schneer said:

Would be nice if the error message was a bit more informative.

Agreed, but I'm not sure what it would say.  All AP knows is that it can't make sense of what it's being asked to read - a corrupt AP file is indistinguishable from (e.g.) an MP3 or a BluffTitler show file.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

• Staff

@Steve Schneer

Welcome to the Serif affinity forums.

18 hours ago, Steve Schneer said:

I re-did the edits and re-saved the file and it worked properly the second time

I am glad you have found a solution.

18 hours ago, Steve Schneer said:

Would be nice if the error message was a bit more informative

Agreed, the message did not help in this case. Sometimes the programmers can assume that things will go smoothly and so give this sort of thing a lower priority than work to avoid broken files in the first place.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 2 months later...

I am having the same problem with developed raw files being saved with the .afphoto extension.  An error message appears saying the file type is not recognised, when I try to re-open it.

I've even deleted the first developed file and tried again several times, with no change.  Is there a software patch I can download, which the resolves the problem.

• 7 months later...
On 6/29/2018 at 5:49 PM, Patrick Connor said:
On 6/28/2018 at 11:27 PM, Steve Schneer said:

Would be nice if the error message was a bit more informative

Agreed, the message did not help in this case. Sometimes the programmers can assume that things will go smoothly and so give this sort of thing a lower priority than work to avoid broken files in the first place.

Well actually it's even better than this one ...

die-lustigsten4.jpg.f575679afd4ca4f04a623441a2d4b195.jpg

;)

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2