You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Change units with crop selected?

36 minutes ago, Phatman said:

I can change units from pixels to inches when the hand tool is selected but when I click the crop tool it reverts to pixels and it won't allow me to change to inches. How do I crop in inches? 

If you set the crop Mode to Absolute Dimensions (from Unconstrained) you can set inches on the Crop Tool Context Toolbar and enter dimension in there if you want.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• 2 years later...

There is no "absolute dimensions" on the crop tool menu bar. There is only unconstrained, original, custom, or resample. None of them allows px to be changed to in (if you change it in one dimension, the change reverts to pixels when you try to change it in the other dimension). The menu has a specifications option ('units') but it's grayed out and doesn't function. Going to the tool gear icon allows you to select a dimension like 4:5, but this makes no difference to any of the above useless non-options. So I give up. How do you specify inches instead of pixels?

1 hour ago, iMacatemyphotoshop said:

There is no "absolute dimensions" on the crop tool menu bar. There is only unconstrained, original, custom, or resample. None of them allows px to be changed to in (if you change it in one dimension, the change reverts to pixels when you try to change it in the other dimension). The menu has a specifications option ('units') but it's grayed out and doesn't function. Going to the tool gear icon allows you to select a dimension like 4:5, but this makes no difference to any of the above useless non-options. So I give up. How do you specify inches instead of pixels?

There was an "absolute dimensionw" setting when this topic was created 2 years ago. Things change.

I'm on Windows, using 1.8.4, and I can specify Units when I'm using Unconstrained or Resample. There are no units for the original ratio or custom ratio (in 1.8.4) as units don't make sense for ratios.

(However, after specifying inches as the units things rapidly go wrong for me after that, so I'm off to the Bugs forum to report that. Trying to specify the dimensions after switching the units gives me seemingly random results.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I'm on Windows, using 1.8.4, and I can specify Units when I'm using Unconstrained or Resample. There are no units for the original ratio or custom ratio (in 1.8.4) as units don't make sense for ratios.

(However, after specifying inches as the units things rapidly go wrong for me after that, so I'm off to the Bugs forum to report that. Trying to specify the dimensions after switching the units gives me seemingly random results.)

Ratio + Unit would make sense to lock the ratio when typing dimensions manually to make the y value follow x or vise versa.

In macOS I don't get issues of random results, existing values are auto-calculated correctly when switching the unit or DPI.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

7 minutes ago, thomaso said:

In macOS I don't get issues of random results, existing values are auto-calculated correctly when switching the unit or DPI.

When I change the units I think it calculates the correct new size for the current crop width and height. Things just go crazy if I then try to change the width or height value.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

> Things just go crazy if I then try to change the width or height value.

Odd, it works in mac like a charm. Do you mean with "Things" the guides on the image don't change according to your typed values – or the cropped pixel dimension isn't calculated accordingly?

10 hours ago, thomaso said:

or the cropped pixel dimension isn't calculated accordingly?

It's not about Guides. And not exactly about the cropped dimension being calculated improperly (though that is part of it).

The Context Toolbar has two fields for the crop size, an input field for width and height, and an output field showing the resultiing crop size.

I start with the Context Toolbar showing this when I invoke the Crop Tool:

image.png.dcce87b4c415fc3483ce5845d5ff165c.png

Both fields are consistent, and correct.

I change the units to inches, and I get this:
image.png.d74c8220da247436013c39129df3dbed.png

The input fields have been properly recalculated to be in inches. The output field has not changed. All is correct.

I then type a new width in the input field, and press Enter. If I use 8in I get this:
image.png.26246f61b10e83f3de1faee58534b7a9.png

Note that the input fields now say inches, but both are really in pixels and match the Crop field. The values are correct for pixels, given that DPI. It's only the units in the width/height that are shown incorrectly.

I then type 8in into the width field again, and get this:
image.png.3c36e45bc84f7188baed088b4cfb56e5.png

Note that the width remains the same incorrect 576 inches (is really 576 px). And the height has become 42525 inches. The Crop size shows 45256 px as the height.

Where did that height come from?

If I again type 8in into the width field and press enter I get:
image.png.d56d2954b4989c0418af2c0d0e5bf710.png

Again, notice the height value, which is now up to 3061800 inches. The units are wrong, but the value matches the shown crop height. But where did that height come from?

-- Walt
PC:

16 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The input fields have been properly recalculated to be in inches. The output field has not changed. All is correct.

I then type a new width in the input field, and press Enter. If I use 8in I get this:
image.png.26246f61b10e83f3de1faee58534b7a9.png

Note that the input fields now say inches, but both are really in pixels and match the Crop field. The values are correct for pixels, given that DPI. It's only the units in the width/height that are shown incorrectly.

Oh, indeed unusable this way. Odd that it occurs in Windows only. Did you post the bug report?
Does the grid seem to be scaled according to the output values or rather to your typed values when you zoom out to see it entirely with those extreme output values? (I did not expect to work but just created/saved a 500 x 500 000 px .afpub successfully, displayed at zoom level 0.2 %.)

3 hours ago, thomaso said:

Did you post the bug report?

Yes, but I should add my additional information to it.

-- Walt
PC: