You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to export to PDF and preserve Layers so Illustrator can read them?

I am desperately trying to escape Adobe's stranglehold, and purchased Designer as an alternative to Illustrator.

I create a lot of wine labels. The printer uses Illustrator for all its work, so the files I send need to be readable by Illustrator.

I need to indicate where the the printers need to emboss, add silkscreen, foil, etc so I organize my AD file into layers. However when I export to PDF, and reopen the file in Illustrator, the entire structure is lost.

I do see the layers preserved when I open the PDF in Acrobat however, so I find this confusing. Attached are screenshots of AD file, Acrobat view, and a couple in Illustrator showing the single layer will all the separate elements making the file unworkable. Also included is the original AD design file.

Is this possible to achieve?

Screen Shot 2018-06-28 at 11.29.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-28 at 11.33.01 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-28 at 11.34.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-28 at 11.34.18 AM.png

LV_Cab_2016.afdesign

• Staff

Hi Ffca,

Welcome to the forums :) 

when I open the file the text looks distorted this is likely due to me not having the font you are using please could you send me a private message.

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

AI does not respect--cannot import--layers in a PDF.

Except its own PDFs and that is only if they are saved with "Preserve Editability" or some such setting and then there is a copy of the AI file embedded that AI is actually opening.

Aside from the AD-->AI compatibility issue(s), the printer should never be using AI to open a client PDF in the first place. It's a barbaric practice from the 1990s.

10 hours ago, MikeW said:

AI does not respect--cannot import--layers in a PDF.

Except its own PDFs and that is only if they are saved with "Preserve Editability" or some such setting and then there is a copy of the AI file embedded that AI is actually opening.

Aside from the AD-->AI compatibility issue(s), the printer should never be using AI to open a client PDF in the first place. It's a barbaric practice from the 1990s.

Man, I just heard back and they said exactly what I was afraid of—the file is unacceptable. I'm curious what method you think they should be using, maybe I can try to encourage them in that direction.

12 hours ago, Callum said:

Hi Ffca,

Welcome to the forums :) 

when I open the file the text looks distorted this is likely due to me not having the font you are using please could you send me a private message.

Thanks

Callum

Thank you sir! I did send you a PM, but it wouldn't allow me to attach the files. Here they are

AD_Fonts.zip