MatejC

Unhandled Exception error on app launch

Hi!

I haven't been using Affinity Photo for like a week and when I tried to launch it today I was not able to do it. I searched the web for any solutions but I did not find anything that would solve my issue. The problem is that when I try to launch the app, it gives me an error windows saying that an Unhandled Exception had occured and the application couldn't continue. Could you please help me solve this? I need to be able to work in Affinity asap. Thanks.

error message.PNG

Hey MatejC, welcome to the Affinity Forums.

I would first recommend restarting the computer if you haven't done so already. Make sure your graphics drivers are fully updated. Please uninstall them first and do a fresh install (even if they are being reported as being the current version). 

I do not have any of those programs installed. I am not sure if Windows has or has not been updated since my last use of Afiinity, but I think it has not been updated.

Were you able to get some information from the crash report?

Thank you for your help.

Yes. The dump file is suggesting a crash when loading the application icon. However, I have never seen this before and I cannot think of a reason why this would fail as this works fine for many hundreds of thousands of users. I can only suggest you try reinstalling Affinity Photo and/or Windows (I realise reinstalling windows though is not really a desirable thing to have to do). As well as that, I will also attempt a possible fix for the crash and include it in our next beta, which you can download and try alongside our stable "Release" version. I will keep you updated and I can only apologise for this behaviour.

Cheers

Chris

I tried reinstalling Photo before writing on this forum... didn’t work.

I don’t think that I will be able to reinstall Windows any time soon, because of other programs like Adobe After Effects, Premiere Pro and lots of plugins installed.

I would love to get the “fixed” update. How long could it take you to fix it?

It is quite weird that it stopped working by itself.

Shall I try to remove or change the app icon?

I really need to use it for a project I’m working on.

Thank you.

It's loading the icon internally so you won't be able to remove that. I don't know exactly when the next beta will be but they are quite regular. I have pushed a fix in for this so keep your eyes out for the next beta release, although if I fix this I suspect it may crash a bit further on for you but we'll soon see.

It is very weird indeed. In the meantime it might be worth checking the Windows Update History in control panel to see if anything changed without your knowing like Codecs, Drivers or anything related to .NET for example.

Thanks for your patience.

The latest beta for Affinity Photo on Windows is always available via the first post in this forum.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.239), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.464 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.2.4464 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

20 hours ago, BJI said:

Hi,

I've encountered similar problem with Affinity Designer:

Please have a look.

I can't check the beta as I haven't bought software yet.

afc12a79-62ce-46bd-afcc-6e504efa49c0.dmp

Hi, I've checked this crash report, and it's crashing in lci_proxyumd.dll which appears to be some part of a driver for Fresco Logic Proxy Display Driver. There are lots of complaints on the internet for crashes with this particular piece of software. My recommendation would be to uninstall it, if you no longer need it, or try starting Affinity Designer with the  command line --no-hw-ui flag (which will disable hardware rendering of the user interface). I imagine you may still face problems after creating a document though, so you may need to disable hardware rendering of the document too (via the Preferences, choose Performance, then set Renderer to WARP).

3 minutes ago, MatejC said:

And what about my issue?

I hadn't spotted that @Chris J had already investigated this, and I can confirm what he initially reported. It's failing to load the application's icon. This is highly unusual, and I would suggest that you've either got a WIC codec installed which is corrupting the image loading behaviour of WPF, or there is some other problem with your machine. Perhaps a factory reset may help the situation.

Can you look in %APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0 (Beta)\CrashReports and see whether there are any files there. If so, can you upload them here? The beta crash reports may give some different information.

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 11:45 AM, MatejC said:

Here you are. The crash report from beta version.

c7705e49-5fd4-444b-a3f0-fe3295a6fdc7.dmp

It's still crashing in the same place (failing to load the application icon). I could stop the crash itself, but then it would fail to load even the most basic resources - so your application would be completely unusable anyway.

Just out of interest - what monitor colour profile do you use? If you type "Colour Management" into the Start menu, and look in there.