You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to edit smart object mockup in affinity photo?

I consider myself as a most devoted fan / ambassador of Affinity software. I use it every day. And all my friends are tired of me recommending it.

And the Smart Object feature is the most wanted and most asked one.

On 7/10/2019 at 11:27 AM, ashf said:

But at least Affinity should be able to read smart object without rasterizing it as single pixel layer.
Photopea can read smart object as smart object.

I absolutely agree!

One of the developers wrote on this forum that AP does not have the Smart Objects functionality because developers can not figure out into what to convert smart objects.

I personally can not understand this explanation. Actually for me this is not an explanation but an excuse.

AP has Embedded Documents functionality. And it works just the same as the Smart Objects.

And I can not accept that it is impossible to import a smart object and convert it into an embedded document.

On 6/28/2018 at 5:14 PM, GabrielM said:

Adobe-specific feature which cannot be transfered to us

@GabrielM, please tell us that Affinity team is going to consider this feature update. We are ready to wait for it even for years.

On 10/4/2019 at 3:39 AM, root said:

I absolutely agree!

One of the developers wrote on this forum that AP does not have the Smart Objects functionality because developers can not figure out into what to convert smart objects.

I personally can not understand this explanation. Actually for me this is not an explanation but an excuse.

AP has Embedded Documents functionality. And it works just the same as the Smart Objects.

Yes, embedded document or nested layer anything in Affinity way.
I'm not wanting Smart Objects functionality itself but wanting ability to read smart objects in editable status.

• 1 month later...

pppppplllllllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, for the love of sweet holy mary mother of GOD, if the Affinity team can create three fantastic apps to save and rescue the lives of designers around the world from the evil grip of Adobe I'm sure its not too much to ask the affinity team to add "Image Trace" to Affinity Designer and "Smart Object support" to "Affinity Photo" before my head explodes with designer frustration.

I rely heavily on both to create and present work to clients. I've tried numerous online tutorials to work around a PSD Mock-Ups in Photo and Designer and I can't get either to work. I've just lost one client because of this, as they wanted to see what their logo would look like on a van because there's no "smart object"it in either application  I've lost a lot of money.

3 hours ago, macmikeal said:

I agree with you. Would love to get off of PS but can’t until Affinity design supportsSmart Objects.

Personally, I’m of the opinion that many of us essentially knotted our own noose by relying for far too long on Adobe, their tools, their methods, and their files.

While I agree that being able to at least read Smart Objects would ease the transition away from Adobe, what I would prefer from Serif is something even better. I have no idea what "better" would mean in precise terms, but perhaps it would make the tasks of editing and switching between Affinity apps even more enjoyable. I think this entire concept that is like a cake that’s still baking in the labs at Serif.

On 11/22/2019 at 1:46 AM, Ulysses said:

...While I agree that being able to at least read Smart Objects would ease the transition away from Adobe, what I would prefer from Serif is something even better. I have no idea what "better" would mean in precise terms, but perhaps it would make the tasks of editing and switching between Affinity apps even more enjoyable. I think this entire concept that is like a cake that’s still baking in the labs at Serif.

Agreed. Though the reality is, will we ever see 'better' and if so when. I was a bit of an AD fanboy, but the feature timescales are unbearable, for some.

6 hours ago, jamesholden said:

I was a bit of an AD fanboy, but the feature timescales are unbearable, for some.

I hear ya. It doesn’t make it particularly easy for the user. At this point my desire to stay away from Adobe overrides my impatience with the Affinity products.

Meanwhile, as I wait, I’m gradually trying to sharpen my skill level with the Affinity suite.