VladTam

How to edit smart object mockup in affinity photo?

Hi guys

Can please someone tell me how can I edit "smart object mockup" in AF?

Like in this video for PS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxTge8fHbW8

All mockup's that I have are made for Photoshop so they are using smart objects to place our designs so after I open mockup and try to edit them by opening that layer in new tab like I did in Photoshop nothing happens!  I simply can not find way to edit that layer in separate tab which is crucial for my work!

This really makes things a very hard for me because I use mockup's all a time and I can't just use "place image" option and add more layers that I will adjust on spot, because it make things a lot harder then to just edit "smart object" like I did in PS.

If you could show me how can I do this in AF, that would be a life saver!

Thanks

Hi @VladTam,

Welcome to the forums. 

We do not currently support Smart Objects. They will be rasterised on import. It is an Adobe-specific feature which cannot be transfered to us. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Having just installed the Affinity Photo trial, I opened a PSD and proceeded to attempt to edit a smart object for a mock-up I'm working with.

What should have been a smart object, was rasterised. 

The absence of smart object editing effectively makes Affinity Photo unusable for me.

Affinity Photo isn't a complete alternative to Photoshop CC. As a professional, I can't be expected to switch to Affinity from Adobe.

Smart objects are intrinsic to the modern work-flow.

I've read similar threads pointing out that Affinity Photo can achieve the functionality of smart objects and that the concept of smart objects is just an Adobe paradigm. This means very little when I'm required to edit existing smart objects in PSDs.

It's unfortunate. A competitor to the overpriced Adobe CC is much needed.

1 hour ago, ClarusDignus said:

What is also unfortunate but not too surprising is that Adobe is not keen on the idea of any lower priced competitor being able to offer un-compromised support for its "smart objects" technology.

Affinity Photo 1.6.7 & Affinity Designer 1.6.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.6.11.85 & Affinity Designer 1.6..4.45 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.1.1

Thank you guys for all the answers.

I really can not see why is this "smart object feature" so difficult to implement, especially because it is very important part of any design process and it really puts  AF way down in comparison to PS from a designer standpoint. 

I think that this feature "is a must" and if they do not solve this problem soon, they will lose many new customers, including me, unfortunately!

The reason why I even tried AF is because after last windows update my PS literally stopped working and it crashed every single time I start it, but I expect that problem will be solved soon so I have to use AF for now and I like it, but without smart object feature I simply can not do my work properly and that is a big problem for me!

I would really like to see AF winning, but for now, that is not a case!

On 6/29/2018 at 10:41 PM, ClarusDignus said:

Having just installed the Affinity Photo trial, I opened a PSD and proceeded to attempt to edit a smart object for a mock-up I'm working with.

What should have been a smart object, was rasterised. 

The absence of smart object editing effectively makes Affinity Photo unusable for me.

Affinity Photo isn't a complete alternative to Photoshop CC. As a professional, I can't be expected to switch to Affinity from Adobe.

Smart objects are intrinsic to the modern work-flow.

I've read similar threads pointing out that Affinity Photo can achieve the functionality of smart objects and that the concept of smart objects is just an Adobe paradigm. This means very little when I'm required to edit existing smart objects in PSDs.

I completely agree and I think that AF really is on right track but without key features like smart objects, they simply do not have a chance to compete with Adobe!

These postings confound two aspects of Smart Objects. Affinity offers a similar workflow/functionality to that of PS smart objects, but they do not have the same structure and are thus not interchangeable. Affinity cannot read PSD smart objects, but PS may or may not be able to read the Affinity equivalent. If will all depend on whether the user needs to transfer image files between AF and PS. If not, then AF will offer all the user needs.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and Designer 1.6.5.123, (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

49 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

These postings confound two aspects of Smart Objects. Affinity offers a similar workflow/functionality to that of PS smart objects, but they do not have the same structure and are thus not interchangeable. Affinity cannot read PSD smart objects, but PS may or may not be able to read the Affinity equivalent. If will all depend on whether the user needs to transfer image files between AF and PS. If not, then AF will offer all the user needs.

John

What is Affinity's similar workflow/functionality to PS Smart Objects? I'd like to utilize that.

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123, Beta 1.7.0.243; Win10 Home Version:1803, Build: 17134.706: Intel i7-4770, 3.40GHz, 16GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 645 

16 hours ago, John Rostron said:

John

Hey John, thank you for joining conversations about this because this is a very important topic and any kind of help would be highly appreciated.

Can someone please make some video tutorial about how we can use features inside AF that can create "similar workflow/functionality" of PS smart objects..?

I think that this topic deserves much more attention because it can be determining factor will someone keep using this software or will we go back to PS!

On 6/28/2018 at 9:14 AM, GabrielM said:

Hi @VladTam,

Welcome to the forums. 

We do not currently support Smart Objects. They will be rasterised on import. It is an Adobe-specific feature which cannot be transfered to us. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Hi! I just purchased affinity photo and designer, using Place embedded document works alright for doing what I want in my mock-ups, but I want to apply a pattern to a MUG, but the warp Mesh Warp Tool rasterizes the whole embedded document, is there a way to warp the embedded document without rasterizing it? That would enable us to apply a design to circular objects and have instant results as how is going to be.

15317183888672267340723375327715.jpg