You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How can I change the noise/opacity setting for a global colour?

I can't find any way to change either the noise or opacity setting of a global colour.
The "Edit Global Colour" pop-up doesn't have these options and changing the noise/opacity just sets it for the currently-selected layer.
I've tried double-clicking in various places and different menus but can't figure out what to do.
Am I overlooking something obvious, or is this a trick that has been missed?

noise.jpg

Hmm, that does only seem to change one layer, although all new items created have noise. Opacity doesn't change either.

Not sure if that is the way it is supposed to work or not?

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• Staff

Hi both,

Global Colours are not designed to work with opacity and noise. If used in conjunction with Spot colour, both noise and opacity will screw up the print. I believe this was deliberate not linked to the global colours to avoid any complications further down the line. You can create a colour, add noise, make it global and add it to your assets. But any changes to noise/opacity would only be applied on an object by object basis. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

That explains it Gabe, thanks, but there's still the problem that AD says it is still using the global colour, which is confusing.

Changing the noise/opacity setting removes the "link" between the "new" colour and the global colour but the "Edit Global Colour" button is still there as though the global colour is still being used.
The same thing goes for changing the tint.
Clicking away from the selected layer and then clicking back takes me to the situation where the colour being used is nothing like the global colour but AD still seems to think it is being used.
See the attached - very crudely made - video.

I didn't want to put this down as a bug or feature request until I knew I wasn't doing something wrong but it still looks a bit weird to me.

P.S. This is something that's probably best mentioned in the documentation - maybe the Colour Panel page.

globalColour.gif

Ah, so the global colour is just the "base" colour to which the tint, opacity and noise settings apply local changes.
Or, to put it another way, the tint, opacity and noise settings are "effects" that have been applied locally to the unchanging global colour.
Is that a reasonable analogy?

@GabrielM I understand the words, but the concept seems very peculiar…

• I can define a global colour and specify a noise value and opacity.
  • I can edit a global colour to redefine its colour.
  • I can't edit a global colour to redefine its noise value or opacity.
  • I can alter the noise value and opacity locally.

Doesn't this go entirely against the concept of global colours?! 

If opacity / noise can cause issues with global colours why can they be defined at the point of creation?

If the complication relates to printing spot colours, why force this limitation on users who are designing for screen?

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

The only problem I can see as related to noise applying to global colors would be if the global color is also a spot color.

A global color not being a spot color should include the ability for the noise to affect objects thus colored with them.

Else the user ought to be informed that by editing a global color by adding noise will create a new "normal" swatch and then be disconnected from the global color.

• 4 years later...