You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pen tool - straight - curved - straight

Hi, I'm looking for a way to alternate between straight and curved lines while drawing with the pen tool. Lets say I want to draw a horizontal line, then 90 degrees down, followed by a U-shape and finish with a 90 up. I can't seem to do this without either the second or 4th line also curving.

So how do I draw this below image in one go, without manipulating it afterwards with the node tool?

buaFmTJ.png

There are a few methods, the second one in the clip is the most accurate.

1438672475_Squareroundbase.gif.abea9bd31ca5d33dc1a52f29f6e52472.gif

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

There are a few methods, the second one in the clip is the most accurate.

1438672475_Squareroundbase.gif.abea9bd31ca5d33dc1a52f29f6e52472.gif

Thanks! This shape was just an example though, but I see when you manipulate the rectangle nodes, your handles snap to 100% vertical, this does not happen for me - any idea why? I have to eyeball the vertical.

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

If you're not bothered about total accuracy you could try this:

• Pen Tool
  • Pen Mode
  • Click
  • Click
  • Drag
  • Click
  • Click
  • Close

Once we can snap to the grid while dragging in this mode we can be more accurate.

Thanks! It seems what you're doing here is essentially creating an extra node, which is an OK solution I guess. My pen tool does not snap to the grid like yours, however..

You're welcome.

You just need to use the correct snapping tools and options for your current situation.
For instance, the answer to the question in your previous post is to turn "Snap off-curve nodes" on (far-right snap tool).
And snapping to the grid can be controlled via "Snapping" on the main toolbar.

It will be nice when node handles can snap to gridlines.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I've no idea, sorry.
Serif seem - from what I have observed - to follow the very sensible (in my opinion) path of only releasing things when they are ready to be released instead of rushing to publish on arbitrary dates whether it's all good or not.
I, for one, would prefer to wait and get something brilliant rather than get something disappointing:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_marshmallow_experiment

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

Serif seem - from what I have observed - to follow the very sensible (in my opinion) path of only releasing things when they are ready to be released instead of rushing to publish on arbitrary dates whether it's all good or not.

In the old ‘Plus’ days, Serif offered a choice between disc or download, so they had to meet a pre-arranged release date so that they would have a physical product available for their sales staff to sell. In recent years it was quite common to see a patch announcement on or just after the day of release, presumably because a master copy had to be rushed off to the replicators in time for a slot they had booked. With Affinity products being ‘download only’, they’re clearly freed from such restrictions.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I can understand that some companies (like to) have big launch days where something has to be ready on a specific day because:
* the hall has to be booked;
* the media have to be notified;
* the posters have to be printed;
* the adverts have been booked for certain TV slots;
* stuff has to be in the shops;
* etc. etc.
This is quite normal for hardware, movies, cars, AAA-title games, and things like that.
What I don't understand is when a company doesn't have all of this to do but sets an arbitrary date anyway.

I once worked for a - very large, international - company where the management/board set a "launch date" for a large family of IT systems as January 1st. Everyone in IT was exceptionally busy, especially over the final Christmas period, and managed to "launch" on time but with the knowledge that users wouldn't be actually using the systems for another few months. They just sat there for ages not being used. Needed changes and known bug fixes couldn't be applied because "If you said it was okay to be launched then it should be working, yes?" A very frustrating process.
It's just one of those things that presses one of my many buttons.

I'm glad Serif don't work this way, both for the customers and developers. "It will be ready when it's ready, you just have to be patient."

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

"It will be ready when it's ready, you just have to be patient."

I'm pretty sure Serif has internal datelines when they want/expect to release beta releases, point updates (e.g. 1.7), major updates (e.g. 2.0) and new products (e.g. Publisher).

NDA's will prevent their staff from disclosing such information but internally they will all be working towards specific dates for stuff to be done by.

Internally, companies do not function well with a "It will be ready when it's ready" mantra. Product managers are there to ensure stuff gets done when it is supposed to be done and will shift/hire resources to ensure timetables are adhered to.

Likewise we do not know what all the new features will be in version 1.7 so if Serif have only 16 of the 20 they wanted to implement ready by the time they want to release version 1.7.  They can still release it on time and continue working on the remain 4 features to implement them in version 1.8... as users we would be none the wiser.

The "It will be ready when it's ready" mantra to it's user base can come across as a bit arrogant at times but more importantly it fails to acknowledge that it's user base needs to be able to plan ahead as well.

E.g.  Will version 1.7 have the missing features I need and will it be released soon or should I sign up for another year with Photoshop when my renewal is due in August 2018.

I much prefer estimated dates from a company even if those dates can slip due to unforeseen problems or circumstances.  Right now I have not got a Scooby Doo of what will be in version 1.7 and if it will be released next week or in June 2020.

Very difficult to run my business with that sort of / lack of information.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

On 6/28/2018 at 8:24 AM, toth said:

So how do I draw this below image in one go, without manipulating it afterwards with the node tool?

I know that your query is how to draw this shape in a single pass, and that it is just an example shape, but here's how I'd do it... 

• Draw a rectangle. 
  • Switch to the corner tool (c). 
  • Select both bottom nodes.
  • Round them to form a perfect u. 

Very quick to do. 

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

34 minutes ago, toth said:

I'd like to curve a single line on the fly without curving the next or previous one.

Keep in mind that when using the Pen Tool you are not actually drawing the line directly; instead you are creating nodes that connect its path segments. Thus, each node you create will of necessity influence the shape of the segment(s) connected to it. It can be a bit difficult to adjust to thinking of vector curve creation in these terms but if you do, it becomes a lot easier to see why not every vector shape can be made in one go & why there are several different methods for making them. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7