You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AD/AP WIN] Please add 'cancel'-button to Color Chooser

After using Photoshop and Illustrator in Windows for many years, even after months of using Designer and Photo I'm having a hard time getting used to the way the Color Chooser dialog works directly on colors. The fact that all colors are directly applied to the selected object without having to confirm this first is very confusing. I noticed that even on every little colorchange while the dialog is open a new undo-level is created.... 

The reason why I can't get used to this is:
- In Windows dialog-boxes always need users to CONFIRM a change by design. But for some strange reason I don't get or know, Designer is not behaving conform this pattern on the Color Chooser, which is counter-intuitive to me.
- The behaviour on dialog windows is even different per type of dialog inside Designer itself. So I noticed I couldn't get used to the alignment dialog, where suddenly there ARE cancel and ok buttons. That's inconsistent behaviour and so is confusing.
- I found myself a lot of times confused on how to get the color back I had before I opened the Color Choser (which never works in the end). When I have the Color Chooser open I adjust the color 'till I get what I want, but every click I do creates a new undolevel and I never count the amount of clicks I did in order to know how many undo-levels I have to get back to get the original color back. This would not be a problem when there were just OK and Cancel-buttons in the dialog.

This is what I would expect:
A color chooser dialog with an OK and a Cancel button. After pressing the cancel-button the color is reset to the color the object had before opening the dialog and changing the color. I don't see any point in creating thousands of undo-levels just when trying out colors in the Color Chooser. 

I really tried hard to get used to this and use the software all day for the last weeks.

Please, please, please, change this!! This is very confusing and inconsistant with the software itself as well as with other windows software. Thanks for considering this!

dialogs.jpg

• 11 months later...

In case you haven't noticed from other threads, Serif staff generally do not comment on feature requests. They read them, and track them, but almost never comment. Any discussion in the Suggestions forum will generally be between you and your fellow users of the Affinity products. So you shouldn't feel that they've specifically ignored your request.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 6/2/2019 at 1:11 PM, walt.farrell said:

So you shouldn't feel that they've specifically ignored your request.

Thanks for reminding me, but I didn't feel that way. I bumped it because it would be great to see the buttons there and without a reaction we never know what Affinity deverlopers think of it and we don't know if we are waiting for something or they decided something we don't know. So it would help to get a reaction instead of spending energy in helping with features without any clue on if they are being picked up, passed without seeing or marked as uninteresting or whatever.

This is the thing with doing these things with a forum instead of a issue-administration-system unfortunately. We never know if somebody even reads it, but it takes our energie everytime we post something. And we help Affinity with it too. Now everybody is posting all kinds of things and there are a lot of double posts, because as time passes by, old threads (with still valid feature requests and issues of people waiting and hoping they will make it to a future version still there) move to older pages in the forum and other people post the same feature requests and bugs later.

It would be nice if there was some issue-tracking system instead so we could find for existing issues and don't post doubles and than we could also see it if somebody of the staff watched our post. Now we are just blindly trying to help them and ourselves without having a clue if somebody even read it.

To me writing these posts take a lot of my time and I post them to make the product better for Serif, other users and myself/company (like a lot of other people here), so I would appreciate some kind of signal a post has been read and if it's being picked up, but on some pile or marked as uninterested or something. This way you ask for double posts (keeping everybody busy) and bumpings of threads and Serif has more threads to read, that otherwise (without doubles) would be a lot less I think.