You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Smarty Studio : Our Project (made with Affinity)

Uncle Mez

20 hours ago, Wosven said:

perhaps you're not responsible for their logo

Hello @Wosven

i am but they are still making their mind and i will start working on it when they all come together otherwise, time will be spent moving from this ot that one without any proper results.
For this occasion i just made a text based design with common and known stuffs for them to have something they can look at.
Your remark is welcome and just pointed the right thing, thank you for your kind words.

Blessings.

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

• 1 month later...

Hello Everyone !

it's been a long time since i came here and published some work !
So, i took it and decided to share my last project made 2 days before Affinity Designer & Affinity Photo goes Final Release.
The whole thing was done teaming AfDesigner + AfPhoto + AfPublisher for an even happening in Paris France (i hope @Wosven) is arround and will appreciate and drop his comments.

Since the software have gone Final, I've not made creative work yet but taking time to rest and remember the good days of the Beta Cycle, today i read Publisher is going to be release tomorrow so i decided: Let me Share this one here, because Publisher was the center in this Project.

Hope you will like it and share your comments here to help me improve.
NOW ! i wait for the next Beta Cycle from Serif because they're fun, exiting and open the mind and just ... bring us all together !

Blessings !

Comp_Exports2207.jpg

Comp_Exports2207 copy.jpg

Mobile_Bokeh (4).jpg

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

Nice work.
On the second one I would be tempted to see how it looks with the tower smaller and more ‘part of’ the text to emphasise that it’s the “I”, but I don’t know if that would improve things.
One the first and second one I think the square brackets around LJI need to be better aligned to the text (uneven spacing currently).
Apart from those small issues, good stuff.

Hi @Uncle Mez !

Nice to see you again with a fine project.

Did you draw the tower? Is it a vector or a pixel object? It's really good, but the top should be lighter (perhaps like like the shadow parts at the bottom), since it disappear on the background and she looks truncated without her head!

And if it was possible, I would have made it higher (not larger) in the second and third project (especially the third, the red part above "musique" is too empty.
I love the colours too, they blend nicely with a nive texture.
and the "fils de fer" white drawing, the Tour was used as an antenna (perhaps now too), it looks like radio waves or, in a strange way, make me think of birds flying around.

The third project is best for reading the date (21 juin), the other ones should have "juin" and "fête" in bold too, since "21 juin" + "musique" = "fête de la musique" here, without any doubt.
And for the last, as being my picky self:  "Paris gare de Lyon  12e" or "Paris gare de Lyon XIIe" (no cap for "gare", "12e" or "XIIe" with "e" in exposant = 12e arrondissement, no need to add "Paris 75012", since Paris is already mentionned and 75012 postal code means département 75 (= Paris), 12e arrondissement ).
And I would wrote "place Henri-Frenay" because I'm fond of "we're French and don't put caps everywhere, damnit!" and "put tirets when people's names become place's name" :D

But out of work I'm a normal girl :P
Really nice project, and the Eiffel tower drawing is inspiring, perhaps I'll try to redraw it in AD.

Last point: no translation for "featuring guest" and "special guest"?

ACE stuff as always Uncle Mez

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Well, Well, Well !

Thank you so much everyone for your inputs ! and YES you are all right about the changes and ideas.
But ... the client wanted it that way so i had to make necessary transformations to fits his demand.
Thank you so much @Wosven you really know how French designs should be and your words are of great help !
Thank you @GarryP your input opened my eyes too.
@Dazmondo77 Expect more inputs from you but i believe next one i publish you will tell openly what you think you could do to make it even better.

Thanks to @Mark Ingram @MEB @Andy Somerfield and the whole Serif Affinity Team for this great Product !
Just now waiting for the next Beta cycle to start !

Blessings !

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

On 6/19/2019 at 10:26 AM, Wosven said:

In fact, you work only for Bêta testing? :D

Exact !

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

• 1 month later...

Hello Everyone !
I'm happy to be back here after a long long time without going the creative way.
Today i want to share with you a small and quick project i've put in place for a young man who is a friend of mine from Belgium in Europe.
He actually is a lucky man and have been called to be an Official Representative for System76 (you can check them at www.system76.com )

Well it is a simple test to put me back on the track !
Please like for all previous projects, tell me what you really think about and would change or better if it was you.
I will take it in account and work on making better stuffs, Thank You in advance.

Blessings !

Phil_Twitter_5.thumb.jpg.24dead2b654434638b4feff443387471.jpgPhil_Twitter_4.thumb.jpg.ab388190461f5d2444824d2e16397a12.jpgPhil_Twitter_3.thumb.jpg.6e4449b3c67f693a7e130e98aa563e05.jpg

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

My first question is: What are the layouts going to be used for? Are they business cards, or posters, or something else? If they are for a business card then everything - except “BELGIUM’ - is way too small. Try shrinking the images down to business card size to see what I mean.

My next concern is that, just looking at the layouts, system76 doesn't seem to be a major component. It looks more like a ‘sponsor’ than what the image is there to represent. I think it needs to be bigger and more prominent.

The overall colour scheme is nice. Colourful and bright but not too gaudy.

My next concern is that, apart from a single laptop on one image, I would have no idea what system76 did. I had to look at the website to find out that they made computers.

Also, “BELGIUM” seems to be a bit too prominent. It looks like the image is promoting Belgium rather than anything else. I like the little round flag – maybe not as the dot in the capital I – but the word itself is a bit ‘overplayed’.

I like the “Official representative” labels. They’re nicely done and work well with the layout.

The image used on the last two layouts is a wasted opportunity to express the system76 brand (if that’s what the layouts are supposed to be doing). It’s a nice enough picture but it doesn’t give anyone any idea of what the layout is about. The first one with the laptop was better but it still isn’t enough to say: “Sytem76 – We make laptops, desktops, mini systems etc.” The last two look – at first glance – more like: “Come to Belgium for your next holiday.”

The text in the box isn’t great but that’s probably because of translation issues. I would say that this should be fixed before the image was used for anything in the real world.

Overall they are all nice layouts but I don’t think they project the right things to the viewer. A few tweaks here and there will probably make a big difference.

Hello @GarryP

Glad to read from you !
Here are my answers to your preocupations about the design i posted.

4 hours ago, GarryP said:

My first question is: What are the layouts going to be used for? Are they business cards, or posters, or something else? If they are for a business card then everything - except “BELGIUM’ - is way too small. Try shrinking the images down to business card size to see what I mean.

Well, it is actually to be used as a facebook post image, not sure it will work on twitter but i believe it can be used too !

My next concern is that, just looking at the layouts, system76 doesn't seem to be a major component. It looks more like a ‘sponsor’ than what the image is there to represent. I think it needs to be bigger and more prominent.

Okay ! System76 actually is not the main focus, their opinion on this is that everyone representative should go as much self leaded as they can, so the focus here should go to the Representative then anything else, i put Belgium in high letters because the deal is for him first let know to everyone that he's active.

My next concern is that, apart from a single laptop on one image, I would have no idea what system76 did. I had to look at the website to find out that they made computers.

Yes ! that too is a thing i did to push people to go and discover by themself what System76 actually is, worked with you so ... i'm fine !

Also, “BELGIUM” seems to be a bit too prominent. It looks like the image is promoting Belgium rather than anything else. I like the little round flag – maybe not as the dot in the capital I – but the word itself is a bit ‘overplayed’.

Next designs will come with less focus on the country

this won't go live until system76 approves it, it's the reason why i shared it here for a quick review that will allow me to build an iteration if needed and submit before the thing get 100% approved.

Anyway thanks, i like your inputs and appreciate that you care about community members like me.
Blessings !

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

Hi @Uncle Mez

Same as @GarryP

On the first one I saw the cars and wondered if it was about Formule1 :P Everything on this one is on the right side, and there's an empty area between the computer and the left.

2nd and 3rd looks more like a travel incitation (but the picture make me think about communist architecture). I like better the round flag above the "i" than above his head (same with "official").

If all this is about computer, it should be more technical and with less architecture. That's how are the newsletters I've got about the subject, and I want to read them. I'm less curious with this design.

I suspect Facebook is like Twitter: you should "feel" what the page is about at first glance and reading the first posts.
The teaser should be posts about their next moves, not in the image: with the portrait, we're not sure if it's a personnal account or for an entity. I don't know about Belgium, but in France we would stop at "I will be happy to help you!", "my dear friend" is too much and familiar at a professionnal level.

And the portrait would be better and more modern without the yellow stroke with 3D: it looks like years ago, when bevel and emboss were added to Photoshop, and it was used everywhere.

Perhaps going in another direction, with humour like "system76 conquers Belgium" (and sytem76 bigger than Belgium) or more emphasis on the products? With the first steps on Mars' anniversary, it could be system76's first steps in Belgium! :P

Uncle Mez: You’re welcome.
Ah, I don’t do social media so I didn’t see that as a possibility. If the layout works for that purpose then that’s fine.
I totally understand that these layouts are early versions and they’re nice early versions. The final versions will probably look great.

Wosven: In the UK we wouldn’t use “my dear friend” either unless we were either talking to someone who really was a dear friend or someone was trying to sell something dodgy. When I hear the phrase used I immediately think of a Spiv https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiv
Looking at the border of the portrait I agree that it looks a bit ‘dated’. It kind of fits the rest of the layout but, yeah, something else might be better.
Also, I realise the Affinity products have state-of-the-art features but are you sure it’s the anniversary of the first steps on Mars? I think I might have missed that one. (Cheeky grin and a wink.)

Hello @Wosven

On 7/29/2019 at 11:02 PM, Wosven said:

Perhaps going in another direction, with humour like "system76 conquers Belgium" (and sytem76 bigger than Belgium) or more emphasis on the products? With the first steps on Mars' anniversary, it could be system76's first steps in Belgium! :P

This is the kind of idea i like !
Thank you all for reviewing my work here, it's really helpful !

Blessings.

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

• 3 months later...

Hello Everyone !
Today i've got time and made a quick turn here to post the below !

As always, your impressions and recommendations are welcome !
Hope @Wosven is still around.

Efficient_Prayer0111042019.png

P&G_Wh_CLBoosted.png

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

Hello @Uncle Mez !

I like them, that just… (as usual ;)  )

The first one: I like the font for "La prière efficace", but it's difficult to read the name. Perhaps you need to change the font or have a darker background. The same with the part with the hours (with a white stroke), perhaps a darker background would give a focus for the eyes and help reading the content.

The second one: It's strange that the bubble is "in" her head, usually they float near the face, not in or on. Can you test with 5 lines (Envie d'apprendre |de nouvelles recettes |modernes et exotiques ? |Une simple envie de partager |un bon moment entre amis ?). [Ami(es): eurk! I hate inclusive writing, and there are at least few people to share something, it would be at least "ami(e)s"].

Passion & Gourmandise: Did you try writing "Passion" larger? There's room between "G" and "d". We read it later, when it's as important as gourmandise.

Vers le terrain…: it's difficult to read, but perhaps only on screen, since printed the green should be darker

You need to check the spelling of "Inscrivez-vous…", perhaps "Inscrivez-vous à nos cours de cuisine privée. Des sessions simples au contenu pratique, spécialement conçues pour transformer vos habitudes culinaires".

Another point: she's got a blond tresse, but her hair are really saturated. Can you highlight her hair and tune down the reflects on her face or it would be strange and not "her"?

As usual, that's fine design and colorfull, great job!

Edited by Wosven
Some typos corrected

Well Today i'll come back on the above from my friend @Wosven
Well the client did vote the thing and i had no more extra steps to do but i'm about to send this one !
Y'all can tell me what you think about it.

1024-Efficient_Prayer.png

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

• 7 months later...

Hello Everyone !

Was busy and far from this nice place !
not much to say, check on the YouTube thumbnails here, made with the Affinity suite and drop me your comments and advises as always to help me do better.

Blessings !

11k_Subsc_6.png

L4E-EP35-20200527_2.jpg

L4E-LFTHB-20200505-it1_4.png

QLATHB20200606.jpg

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

On 7/2/2020 at 11:29 AM, Wosven said:

On the first one, I would have use another font not related to either brands, not the Lenovo logo font spaced differently, and not to write fedora.

Thanks for your answer.
We just agreed to normalize things in the team and not using too different fonts.
We just allowed to tweak it a bit but if we talk fedora or lenovo we are granted with their official fonts so we can't do much but stick with official which is a cool thing too.
But I take your advice and will try to make things change when an opportunity is shown.

Warm Blessings

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

• 4 months later...
On 7/7/2020 at 7:59 PM, VectorWhiz said:

You definitely have a talent to create spectacular imagery.

Thanks !

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

Hello Everyone !
Was a bit far from this place but today I wish to share a quick job I made for a friend of mine who's a YouTuber on the Linux side.
I made it because his recent video inspired me a lot and I wanted to test something new ... I mean some tints I had in mind.

No more comment, time for you to check and choose.
Notice I'm currently doing and shipping both lighter and darker tendencies of the same design to my requesters.

Blessings !

TNH-CODBOPS-20201127-1.jpg

TNH-CODBOPS-20201127.jpg

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

Just Before I leave for more job and some home stuffs, i'd like to share this other one, also made for a French Linux guy doing good works on YouTube.
I'm still not that good at composition and colors but at least this is what was done.

Check and revert for me to improve for the good of Design and Photography.
Here also, I tested soe other tints variant.

Blessings !

ADD-LVR-20201127-base.jpg

ADD-LVR-20201127.jpg

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF