You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Smarty Studio : Our Project (made with Affinity)

Uncle Mez

3 hours ago, VectorWhiz said:

You're a great designer. Composition and especially palettes are great. Enjoyed watching your work.

Hello @VectorWhiz i'm so glad of your words and you too are a great Designer.
i've browsed your website and found that great job you do with pixels and vectors and i really like it.
Blessings !

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

Hello Everyone !
Happy New Year and May you be more inspired in all ways.
I'm back with another quick Design i made for Naïloth 'the Journalist'; find it here and like i always do, write me your inputs and comments.
The Design was made teaming the Affinity "Trium Vira" (Designer + Photo + Publisher) and intended for print.
Only 1 question i ask: What would you change or add to make this design better if you where the selected Designer for this project ?

Blessings !

smartmockups_jqbpgkmw.jpg

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

Hi,

That's nice; Perhaps I would reduce the title and make it "going out" a little more with a shadow, and have the main subject (les sacs) a little bit bigger on a lighter background?

Here a roughtly made version:
(the idea for the orangeone on a violet background was to give yellower hightlights... not not make it redder :s, so it would stand out more)

smartmockups_jqbpgkmw2.thumb.jpg.e56738fdfee065c9d0cefb60425e061d.jpg

4 hours ago, Wosven said:

(the idea for the orangeone on a violet background was to give yellower hightlights... not not make it redder :s, so it would stand out more)

Hello @Wosven you are so accurate.
i had a similar feeling but actually skipped it somewhere in my brain.
btw ... Naïloth is really happy and peoples around her find it okay so i'm kind of happy fir now only.

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

18 hours ago, Uncle Mez said:

The Design was made teaming the Affinity "Trium Vira" (Designer + Photo + Publisher) and intended for print.

I forgot to mention that the photo shooting was done with a smartphone: HTC Desire S
... the 'sac a main' casting was done on a normal table without any kind of reflector, lighting etc ... all level adjustment was done with Affinity Photo, the writings and all vector related stuffs done with Affinity Designer then everything converged unto Affinity Publisher.
This project helped me to setup another kind of workflow that i find quite interresting for now !
Keep making Affinity better.

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

@Uncle Mez

Yes, in fact, it's more about: what is it about? A new brand? (I really like "Le sac à main" 's design!) In this case, it should stay in front and more important (but I feel it's too much in your version... and need more tweeking and adjustements in mine!).
Or is it about the products? In this case the purses should be the main part.

For now, vertically it's 2/5 + 2/5 + 1/5 (no winner :P)
and in the 1/5: the price is bigger than the logo, it seems strange (but can be a marketing choice).

Like you, I feel it needs some little modifications...
But as usual, you've got good elements and ideas :)

Hello Everyone !

Was quite busy but wanted to share this with you.
I've been trusted to work on another project for Naîloth 'the journalist', this one is not yet finished as you can see, the provided photo is of very bad quality and doesn't match and is too much blurry and simply i'm still learning about photo.
Like the previous one, it is intended to make Naîloth visible on the scene and also it gives me a chance to apply few of the stuffs and technics i've recently learned.

Like for the previous, don't hesitate to give me your inputs and advice, telling how you think i can manage to make things better.
Blessings !

smartmockups_jqfnlid0.jpg

smartmockups_jqfnqsmh.jpg

smartmockups_jqfnn58u.jpg

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

6 hours ago, Wosven said:

Hi @Wosven coming back to your inputs, this is the really small changes i've made.
unfortunately the requester loved it so much she took it already so i'm reviewing this on personal purposes and just hope she will ask me to send her the same stuffs so that will be the opportunity to send the improved one.
Thank you so much for your precious inputs !

smartmockups_jqfnk6ay.jpg

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone !

i'm back today with a quick one i wanted to share with you here !
Well it is something that only is concentrated on my pixel Technics learning process, i had an image before me and though i could use it to apply some of the nice Technics I've learned around the internet.

i essentially used:
* HSL adjustment layer
* Lasso Tool
* inPainting tool
* Level adjustment layer
* Clarity Live filter
* High Pass Live filter

The core layout was created unto Affinity Publisher Beta
All Pixel works was done with Affinity Photo then placed into the project layout
Everything Vector (fonts essentially) was done with Affinity Designer
+ the overlay heart stuffs was done using a vector brush which allowed me to paint it fast and easy.

Tell me what you think about and what you think you could do to make it better !
I've also attached the original photo of the object used so you can compare and even get inspired.

My Thanks to the Affinity Team.
@MattP @Sean P as you can see this one was achieved with Beta version of the Affinity line of products, no stable version was used at all.

Blessings !

13012019_Shoe_1.jpeg

13012019_Shoe_2.jpeg

photo_2019-01-12_17-54-29.jpg

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

Hi,

I think you should have less light/contrast on the top of the shoe, since it looks like you used a flash and it's grainy when the original pic is softer.

Perhaps if your background is less colorfull/using one of the shoe's color, but desaturated, you can have it that stands out more without so much contrast or color. I love how soft it look in you original pic, it looks comfortable :P

Perhaps it only need to be lighten at the top, and having less light where the flash hit it.

2 hours ago, Wosven said:

Perhaps if your background is less colorfull/using one of the shoe's color, but desaturated, you can have it that stands out more without so much contrast or color. I love how soft it look in you original pic, it looks comfortable :P

Hello @Wosven really this is the kind of advice i'm looking for !
I'm okay with this and you are right, btw i will try it and see if i can update here.

2 hours ago, Wosven said:

I think you should have less light/contrast on the top of the shoe, since it looks like you used a flash and it's grainy when the original pic is softer.

Well you are right here too and i will see how to fix this, the original picture that you see was taken from a phone by a young girl in her room then shared through Telegram messenger in compression mode ... it was 78.2kB only so just imagine how much details was lost.
But, your comments make me think i need to organize another retouch and bring some softness in there.

Blessings !

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

The biggest challenge I had with this project was with complementary colors. We really need a tool that makes it easier to find or generate those and not strugglewith external tools from Adobe etc.

Please team,build a dedicated tool that will manage colors in an assistant style so we can figure out but very easily what colors we can  work with on a project and not do the Arc-en-Ciel thing !

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

2 hours ago, Uncle Mez said:

Please team,build a dedicated tool that will manage colors in an assistant style

Are these not enough for you?

1615697950_Screenshot2019-01-16at02_23_58.thumb.png.c59131fd816d64ab95fe15892fb57f2a.png

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

18 hours ago, Seneca said:

Are these not enough for you?

1615697950_Screenshot2019-01-16at02_23_58.thumb.png.c59131fd816d64ab95fe15892fb57f2a.png

it is okay but it is hidden thus making it not the first thing to think about !
What i ask is a more present thing something we have right before us and we can eassily remember about !
Thanks a lot for pointing to that as many will now know there is such a menu/tool and use less Adobe color stuff.

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

Hello dear Heroes !

i'm back here with this quick share.
Just a fast design for church activities but the most important thing to note here is the teaming used to build it.
Affinity Designer for Vectors
Affinity Photo for everything Pixels
Affinity Designer for the layout and the export (here i used the last published version of APub)
Photo from Pixabay.com

No major issues found and no crash !
As usual, please leave me your inputs telling what you would see changed or much better designed if it was You !

Blessings !

Beshalah.png

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

Really nice, I would just avoid capitalized small caps sentences, since in French we try to avoid too much caps (and artificial small caps with bigger verticals than the smaller text's ones is a typographical pain for the eyes) :S 

But you can write "Tais toi et…" bigger/bolder for compensation!

Good colours too.

13 hours ago, Wosven said:

Really nice, I would just avoid capitalized small caps sentences, since in French we try to avoid too much caps (and artificial small caps with bigger verticals than the smaller text's ones is a typographical pain for the eyes) :S 

But you can write "Tais toi et…" bigger/bolder for compensation!

Good colours too.

Hi @Wosven I like that. You just pointed In the center

Thank you so much!

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

Hello People !

i'm back in this topic today to share a quick job i've done recently for a young DJ from Paris in France. Well it is only a Business card model !
He's specialized in Christian music but also does some IT works but the point was clearly on music.
i will share two mockups i have made for him and you feel free to tell which one you would have chose and also please leave some inputs of what you would have changed in there to make it better.
All was done with current Beta version of Affinity Suite, nothing stable version was used.
it is my way of testing to find if there is a bug on what.

i kindly invite @Chris B and @MEB to also check and see what can be achieved with those recent beta versions.
Also i thank @AdamW @MattP and all the team member for the excellent job done with the recent Beta versions, it is a pleasure to work with it !
Take this to ask further improvement to be made to the Live perspective filter, it almost messed up the thing (with the mockup) so i was obliged to go the destructive route.
Please guys don't break it but make it even fluid and better that it is today and also more suited for robust and flexible projects.

Blessings !

CG_Mockups_3.jpeg

2019-01-25 10.16.18.png

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

Hi @Uncle Mez,

For the colors, my favorite is the one in the mock-up.

But without small caps, or only in (and caps only at the begining of sentences, too much caps kill the caps :P ):

• Techniciens supérieurs en systèmes informatiques
  • Ingénieur du son
The interesting point in the 2 yellow ones is that the light background is more visible in the blue line, giving a vertical direction (you had it with the white line in the mock-up).
The annoying parts in the yellow ones is that text seems less lisible with the white specks in the background.
The "pink" one's got an interesting background in the middle, it doesn't appear "blank".

About the phone number: we usually us this notation: 01 23 45 67 89
(and 4 digits groups if they are easy to remember as in 9004 1000)
If you use "01 23 45 67 89", no need for the phone glyphe, "07 …" means smartphone number.

And last point: why is the logo in his head, like a Mickey mouse' ear? Did tou test it on top of the text, a little bit bigger ? Or centered, really bigger at 50% opacity? (this way you can avoid the white specks on the yellow background).

And really last one: it's not a CV, did you test with another pic with a little more smile, more happy? This one is really neutral, but perhaps it's not what we imagine when thinking about weddings, birthday… :)

But you've got nice elements and as usual great colours!

Hello @Wosven

As always, it is a pleasure to read from you as you deliver good advises.
Well the requester picked the one in the wallet already, he preferred that one but i like really like all points you brought to the light and they are very useful.
I have another concept coming in few days and will surely take your advises into account.

Well for the picture ... he said: i don't like photos too much so just work on this one !
i agree its not the mood we have when talking about wedding etc.

Thank you so much and to everyone looking at this topic and giving advises that help me grow even more.

Blessings !

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

Hello Peoples, Hello Friends !

Today find a new one i'm working on.
Well it took it to share this one prior i close with the requester because your advises are valuable to me.
Again a Business card, peoples seems to like this concept.

Tell me what you like and what you think can make it even better vs what you dislike and think i should change or remove completely.

But first i want to have your inputs in order to better this.
This other one was made with 100% beta version of Affinity Suite.

Blessings !

smartmockups_jrmc86st.jpg

smartmockups_jrmcaitf.jpg

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

Hi @Uncle Mez,

Those are fine elements… but…

What is the purpose of this business card? The funiest and more visible part is the green stroke going around the white and blue bands. Is that something to reconize, a logo, part of a brand? No.

Is it part of the logo or completing the logo? No. That's sad, but it should go or be so light it's not the main part of this card. (perhaps only to separate name and logo parts).

Since my eyes focused on this, I saw some coloured specks on the white band. If this is the business' logo, it shouldn't be used as a decorative but annoying part of the design, but in an important place where we can reconize it, or at least understand: man + name + logo = business card (more logical would be logo + man + name, depending of importance).

Strangely, the turkish blue band lead to look more at the logo, but the navy blue one is more serious and doesn't distract from looking at his face and reading his name.

Another problem: there's nothing in the grey part... but fine texture. Perhaps you can put the logo there, on a light grey or something? You've got a problem with this part since you try to make it more lively, or "rebound" the eyes to stay in the text/logo parts with those colorfull bricks :P
I think you can cut ±2 mm at the top of this grey.

And last point, I'm not fond of this mock-up (the perspective of the cards is wrong and I'm not sure of what is the black and white parts… perhaps with another modern desk mock-up?)

Haha, this is a difficult puzzle, what did he thought of the design?

Nice pic for the man and the chairs, but it's difficult to adjust those elements!

The name can't be near the logo, it's too much text… and the dynamic of the chairs tend to lead out of the card :S