You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Refine Edge Contrast Fader

Hi guys,

I don't know if this feature has been discussed or in the making yet, but I really think that a contrast control/fader in the refine edge toolbox is needed. My selection work in affinity photo has been really messy and jagged without a contrast control.

And overall I think that the refine edge tool needs some work because it is not working as good as photoshop's. The Matte tool in the refine edge toolbox, is unreliable, to say the least. My selections kind of became worse after refining. This is coming from a heavy user of photoshop's refine edge tool. 

This is my first forum post, so I don't know the ethics of posting in here yet. So if I was too blunt or offended anyone, please accept my apology.

Yusuf.

Can you upload an example of an image you tried to refine and the results you got

If it's possible someone may be able to assist better or see where the problem is

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Untitled.thumb.jpg.75ad47536909ff6f72b16022ec989acc.jpgUntitled2.thumb.jpg.69b91d9368ca8f63ccb232c845d7b223.jpg

Untitled5.thumb.jpg.e30f5b417efd020b4025189aaef53bf6.jpgUntitled3.thumb.jpg.721253abefe9a163dc455331d57216bd.jpgUntitled4.thumb.jpg.f63d34f8304de9d4f10950dc582bdc05.jpgUntitled6.thumb.jpg.802c36ff7201cdb72d516605fccde095.jpg

Those are the sample images. As you can see, the red overlay (unselected area) are 'erasing' my selected area when i brush with the matte adjusted tool even though it is set to '+' to selection rather then '-'.

Yusuf.

Here's a quick go on the legs picture, I did not use the Matte Brush at all, just played with the sliders

I will have a look at the hair picture tomorrow if no one else does today

legs2.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I just had a go on your hair picture concentrating on the stray/fine hairs on her head which your attempt did not capture.  In this case the Matte Brush did a good job in capturing about 75% of the stray hairs

A professional retoucher would probably now spend another 2 hours using the foreground brush to paint in the remaining stray hairs but for me 10 minutes on this image is enough for me to be happy with the result.

All I will say is that the Matte Brush is not a magic tool, in some cases it can make the image worse, as you have found out, but in some cases it does a pretty good job, it all depends on what part of the image it is used on.

For me, the Foreground and Background brushes can do a better job when the Matte Brush does not perform as expected on part of an image

The more you use the refining tools (sliders and brushes) the more you get to know which to use on which image and on what part of the image

hairs2.thumb.jpg.8c3bb94a7c04366a2a1c0a02d5ffa199.jpg

I did not use the sliders on this picture, I left them at the default settings

I just made the selection ignoring the stray hairs on the top and side of her head (as shown below)

Then in the Refine screen I just switched the Preview to Black Matte and used the Matte Brush (50px) to brush over the stray hairs area and to get them to show up

selection.jpg

Yes border width is 10%, all other sliders at 0%

Also in the Output drop down box I always use New Layer, not sure if this can affect things