You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do you adjust kerning in Designer?

Bonjour,
Peut-être trop tard...
utililser des polices à chasse fixe et gérer l'approche dans la justification avec un retrait à gauche pour caler le départ
utiliser un bloc texte multi-colonnes avec texte centré (le plus simple)
Hello,
Maybe it’s too late...
use fixed hunting fonts and manage the approach in justification with a left-back to stall the start
use a multi-column text block with centered text (the simplest)

kerning001.jpg

kerning002.jpg

kerning.afpub

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000
Affinity Photo | Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | 2

• 3 months later...

Good discussion. Regarding kerning, I extensively use GREP scripting and establish data sets with custom pairs for everything in a face that requires adjustment. Can publisher use GREP scripting? 

I have worked with Peter over the years to refine his script, and have such a library of custom data sets that I am a bit stuck unless this feature is or will be supported. 

Anyone know if it works?

https://creativepro.com/files/kahrel/indesign/kern.html

3 minutes ago, Hatley Editorial & Design said:

Good discussion. Regarding kerning, I extensively use GREP scripting and establish data sets with custom pairs for everything in a face that requires adjustment. Can publisher use GREP scripting? 

I have worked with Peter over the years to refine his script, and have such a library of custom data sets that I am a bit stuck unless this feature is or will be supported. 

There is no scripting capability in Affinity applications. So, no. At least until Serif adds scripting and no one knows if/when that will happen. 

3 hours ago, Hatley Editorial & Design said:

Anyone know if it works?

Hi @Hatley Editorial & Design, You can join the movement. If you want...

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000

7 hours ago, uneMule said:

@MikeW sorry, I won't do it again...🙄

No worries! I was just letting you know that the two things--what Hatley and yourself mention--are two completely different things.

What Hatley is referring to is a means to define what characters in one or more fonts should be kerned differently than the font designer programmed into the font. A font has what are called "kerning pairs." The script mentioned overrides one or more of those kerning pairs.

However, while InDesign requires a script to do this, QuarkXPress has long had the built-in ability to do this. How QXP does this is the method I would prefer in APub. Failing that "native" capability, being able to script it as per the method Hatley mentions would be good.

@MikeW

Lu trop vite !
Et dire que "tout le monde" donnait Xpress pour mort !
Personnellement je l'ai quitté depuis la version 7. Ça fait un bail.
Comme j'ai quitté récemment Adobe... pour Affinity... mais ce n'est pas toujours simple.

Read too fast!
And to think that "everyone" was giving Xpress for death!
Personally I left it since version 7. It's been a long time.
As I left Adobe recently... for Affinity... but it's not always easy.

Toujours pas !

12 minutes ago, uneMule said:

@MikeW

Lu trop vite !
Et dire que "tout le monde" donnait Xpress pour mort !
Personnellement je l'ai quitté depuis la version 7. Ça fait un bail.
Comme j'ai quitté récemment Adobe... pour Affinity... mais ce n'est pas toujours simple.

Read too fast!
And to think that "everyone" was giving Xpress for death!
Personally I left it since version 7. It's been a long time.
As I left Adobe recently... for Affinity... but it's not always easy.

Hah! The rumors of Quark's demise have always been exaggerated.

I've been using it from the late 1980s until the current version. As well as ID. And other layout applications. I have diverse clientele which use a variety of software that I need to return my work in their preferred format(s). I have my preferences about which applications I use when it doesn't matter to the client or recommend to them for particular jobs where one is better than another.

For myself and the companies I have owned, the above has always been what I've had to, needed to, do. I'm glad I am not "stuck" using a single application or suite of applications.

@MikeW

Encore un petit jeune :)
J'ai commencé en 1983, ça ne nous rajeuni pas. Côté découverte, nous avons eu notre lot.
Bonne et longue continuation.

Still a little young :)
I started in 1983, it doesn't make us any younger. On the discovery side, we've had our share.
Good and long continuation.

Toujours pas !

• 3 years later...
On 6/26/2018 at 1:04 PM, MikeW said:

Sounds like you are referring to CorelDraw. In any case, using the node tool with a line of text text selecting, then selecting one or more characters with the node tool and moving them in CD is neither tracking nor kerning (both of which are also available in CD). It's just moving characters.

As Alfred mentions, place the cursor between a letter pair, us the keyboard controls for kerning, enter a value or use the spin controls to adjust the kerning in AD.

CorelDraw was (is?) great in this feature. We published a newspaper in the late 90s and started a new one in 2019. Used Corel products before. Moved to Affinity and Adobe and it is still shocking to me some of the features we took for granted then are still not implemented in these other programs today. One of the killer features of Corel Ventura page layout program (RIP) was the paragraph tool which allowed for choosing non-contiguous paragraphs, like article subheads, and clicking on one style to change them all at once. In AP and Indesign, you have to format each paragraph on the same page/spread individually. What a pain. Also, since I'm on a roll, the late-90s ACT CRM was perfect for small business. Didn't try to do too much, but still networked and integrated with Outlook and Word for email and letters. In 1998. Today, EVERY CRM is too heavy and tries to do too much. The learning curves are worse than coding. SMH.

49 minutes ago, Mike W077 said:

CorelDraw was (is?) great in this feature. We published a newspaper in the late 90s and started a new one in 2019. Used Corel products before. Moved to Affinity and Adobe and it is still shocking to me some of the features we took for granted then are still not implemented in these other programs today. One of the killer features of Corel Ventura page layout program (RIP) was the paragraph tool which allowed for choosing non-contiguous paragraphs, like article subheads, and clicking on one style to change them all at once. In AP and Indesign, you have to format each paragraph on the same page/spread individually. What a pain. ...

I still use VP a few times a year. But I still haven't forgiven Corel for killing it off when at least all it needed was an update to its text engine to handle OpenType fonts and to properly install as the OS updates dictate (but one can get it to run on Win10).

Funny, I just mentioned VP's paragraph text tool--and the no-break attribute the other day. The paragraph tool does make a big difference if one is formatting in VP.

2 hours ago, Mike W077 said:

One of the killer features of Corel Ventura page layout program (RIP) was the paragraph tool which allowed for choosing non-contiguous paragraphs, like article subheads, and clicking on one style to change them all at once. In AP and Indesign, you have to format each paragraph on the same page/spread individually.

You can select non-contiguous paragraphs in Publisher. Select the first one, then press Ctrl (Windows; presumably Cmd on macOS) while selecting the others.

image.png.709a6f993965201daadc5d9e39878ca5.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

23 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You can select non-contiguous paragraphs in Publisher. Select the first one, then press Ctrl (Windows; presumably Cmd on macOS) while selecting the others.

Yes, it is CMD on Macs. This is a standard feature of most Mac apps, like when you want to select only certain files in Finder windows.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7