You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi all. I've written on this topic before, on one of the threads here. Although I can't say how well this will work for any of you, I've found a free software, that does do select fill, stroke etc by same color, and at least for my simple purposes the software will work for me. It's called Inkscape, and I'm sure you can do a search and find it. Maybe a little competitive pressure will get Affinity to move on this.

Selection filters are an essential part of vector graphics especially when your exporting multiple layers from CAD software. The three feature that I consider to be essential for an effect workflow are: 1) 'import DWG' with layers, 2) 'live trace' 3) 'selection filters'. This would strengthen Affinity Designer to the point where professional users 'sitting on the fence', would switch in a flash from Adobe to Affinity. I teach Affinity at a university and these features a craved by my students and colleagues. It would be so appreciated if these feature could me implemented in the next release. Come on Affinity you can do it 100%! Keep up the amazing work!

Edited by josh.brooklawson@gmail.com

Yesterday I opened a PDF in Designer, noticed it was in RGB space, turned it CMYK, fiddled for a while trying to select rich blacks and turn them 100K. Gave up, left home. Today I opened it in Illustrator, replaced all rich blacks with 100K, saved and imported to layout in 5 minutes.

18 minutes ago, Fixx said:

Yesterday I opened a PDF in Designer, noticed it was in RGB space, turned it CMYK, fiddled for a while trying to select rich blacks and turn them 100K. Gave up, left home. Today I opened it in Illustrator, replaced all rich blacks with 100K, saved and imported to layout in 5 minutes.

Why do you use Affinity Designer if you already have Illustrator??

Problem solved then, so why complain?

Affinity Designer is supergreat, but certainly not for all here, so, don’t use it then...

Illustrator and Corel Draw have been around for 25-30 years, Designer for five, so, perhaps one day every features from the competitor will be implemented into AD, but, then it no longer a lowcost alternative for common users...

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

The above two posts are a great example of what I'm taking about! As a freelance production artist and designer of 20 years, Live Trace and Select (same fill colour, same stroke etc.) are essential to move Designer from merely a vector illustration program to a production art powerhouse for CAD work, packaging design and logo work. Would really like to see these two options in Designer update.

10 hours ago, AffinityMakesMeSmile said:

🤬

Because Designer is easier in many tasks. I have even done jobs where I have drawn objects in Designer and copy-pasted them to Illustrator to use each apps strengths.

Besides, my CS5 will stop working at some time and I hope Designer can replace it at that time.

17 hours ago, AffinityMakesMeSmile said:

Because Adobe CC is now subscription based. Because when I eventually update my Mac OS to Catalina, my Adobe CS5 will cease to function. Because I believe in the power and vision of the Affinity.

• 2 months later...

I just want to join in the nagging. I need to modify an SVG image I downloaded from Wikipedia Commons. I lost the arrowheads on a hundred red arrows and 100 blue arrows that are right next to each other. I resorted to Illustrator CS6 since it will still run on my machine. This seems like a feature that would not be that hard to code, and in any case, is essential. Hope you add it since I really like using Affinity Designer and don't like having to return to Illustrator (see how I put in that backhanded complement). 

Bonjour tout le monde,
Comme beaucoup ici, j'ai utilisé les produits de aldus, quark, adobe et d'autres produits alternatifs avant que les "poids lourds" écrasent le marché. Aujourd'hui, les logiciels de quark, adobe et les autres sont matures.
Jeune utilisateur (à mon âge ça me fait plaisir de l'écrire) de la suite Affinity, et après m'être dit qu'il manque pas mal de choses, et c'est vrai, je pense aujourd'hui qu'il s'agit d'une proposition alternative crédible par les propositions techniques et les outils qu'offrent les applications.
Mais effectivement, et comme cela a été justement signalé dans les commentaires précédents, les applications d'Affinity sont en devenir. Nous réclamons tous à corps et à cris les fonctionnalités que nous avons connus et utilisons par ailleurs et qui nous manque ici, et qui parfois créent des impossibilités. Objectivement chacun a un exemple.
Je me souviens également de la première version d'illustrator livré dans sont coffret vert et noir, sa vénus et surtout sa VHS qui permettait d'apprendre après un quart d'heure de visionnage "le peu" que proposait alors cette application novatrice (qui ne gérait pas la couleur). Souvenez-vous d'Adobe Separator et de la fonction de morcellement des tracés longs !
Nos attentes sont fortes et notre impatience tout autant. Et manifestement les gens d'Affinity ont la volonté d'aller de l'avant. Nous comptons tous sur eux :)

Hello everyone,
Like many here, I used aldus, quark, adobe and other alternative products before the "heavyweights" crushed the market. Today, quark, adobe and other software is mature.
As a young user (at my age it gives me pleasure to write it) of the Affinity suite, and after telling myself that a lot of things are missing, and it's true, I think today that it is a credible alternative proposal by the technical proposals and tools offered by the applications.
But indeed, and as has been rightly pointed out in previous comments, Affinity applications are in the making. We are all clamoring for the functionalities that we have known and used elsewhere and that we lack here, and which sometimes create impossibilities. Objectively everyone has an example.
I also remember the first version of illustrator delivered in its green and black box, its Venus and especially its VHS which allowed to learn after a quarter of an hour of viewing "the little" that this innovative application proposed then (which did not manage the color). Remember Adobe Separator and the splitting function for long lines!
Our expectations are high and our impatience is equally high. And clearly the people at Affinity are willing to move forward. We're all counting on them :)

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000
Affinity Photo | Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | 2

• 1 month later...

After half an hour, I'm just about finished cleaning up a very small .svg layer by layer. If I'd been using Illustrator, it would have been a two-minute job. Not everybody needs to select objects by attributes, but when you need it and it's not there, you're left with about the most tedious task there is.

4 minutes ago, UncleMonkey said:

After half an hour, I'm just about finished cleaning up a very small .svg layer by layer. If I'd been using Illustrator, it would have been a two-minute job. Not everybody needs to select objects by attributes, but when you need it and it's not there, you're left with about the most tedious task there is.

Hello @UncleMonkey,

'Select Same' was introduced in the current beta and will be part of the next release version.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

9 minutes ago, UncleMonkey said:

As noted three posts before yours:

On 9/23/2020 at 12:37 PM, haakoo said:

Select same is already in the 1.9 beta 

So you could have spent a little time downloading and installing the beta version, allowing you to do the same “two-minute job”.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 4 weeks later...

Very happy to hear about the Select Same addition in the upcoming update. I’m working on a project right now were this really would have come in handy.

Keep up the good work Affinity, so we can keep making our work even better! 😀

• 1 month later...

Not sure if what I'm asking is the same - but I have an object of some particular color say a car.   I'm superimposing another object that has a different color/tone - I would like this other object to match the color /tone of the car - is this possible?

On 7/2/2020 at 11:52 AM, AffinityMakesMeSmile said:

Affinity Designer is supergreat, but certainly not for all here, so, don’t use it then...

Illustrator and Corel Draw have been around for 25-30 years, Designer for five, so, perhaps one day every features from the competitor will be implemented into AD, but, then it no longer a lowcost alternative for common users...

Why encourage people not to use it in one sentence and then state perhaps one day features will be implemented.  It seems to be in your best interest to pitch AD since it makes you smile.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, LEB said:

Has the "select by colour" function been added to the current 1.9 beta?

It’s only in Designer, but if you have both Publisher and Designer you can access it in Publisher via the Designer Persona.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 1 month later...

It is now 2021. I've seen the requests for "select same colour" many years, and the fact that Affinity is working on it. I use this feature constantly, as I "recolour" individual colors in an image. Are they any closer to having this done? I spend so much time trying to find these, what seems to be, simple tasks, to no avail.  It's very frustrating. Please let me know if it's finally here and if I'm just not finding it.

Thank you.

11 hours ago, Deb M said:

Please let me know if it's finally here and if I'm just not finding it.

You'll know what's coming (or now, available) if you watch the beta announcements or the new release announcements.

For example: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/132727-affinity-designer-for-windows-190/

You can also check the Help where the Introduction has a section on new functions in the release: https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/Introduction/keyFeatures.html?list=newFeatures

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1