You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have been searching for a while now, but cant find any "select same colour" feature. All I can find is a feature request post from 4 years ago asking for this. Surely this rudimental feature has been implimented by now. Selecting and replacing a colour is one of the main benefits of vector work, to not have this seems crazy to me. I know the dev team is small and  your product is so superior to Adobe is so many ways, but missing fundamental features like this makes it unusable for real world projects. 

I hope I am being a dullard and a select same colour feature is available. If not please add it to the top of the list of features in the next update.

• Staff

Hi Mark Levy Art,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
No, this is not available yet, sorry. If you use/set global colours you can edit/change them and all objects using them will update accordingly. I know it's not the same but it's the closest related option/feature we have available at the moment.

And again somebody, who declares his actual favourite feature to be a „rudimental“ and „fundamental“ one.

We finally should ask all the forum members, what are their 5 favourite features and urge the Affinity team to put all the results (I think, these are about 15000) „to the top of the list of features in the next (sic!) update“. :)

Thank you for the quick response and the suggestion that I use global swatches. I do still hope however that a Same Colour/stroke etc feature will be available soon.

Cheers

1 hour ago, MEB said:

Hi Mark Levy Art,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
No, this is not available yet, sorry. If you use/set global colours you can edit/change them and all objects using them will update accordingly. I know it's not the same but it's the closest  related option/feature we have available at the moment.

• Staff

Hi Mark,
I do know the dev team do intend to implement this at some point (select by attributes) but i have no idea when/if it will come soon.
Bear with us while we continue improving the app. The dev teams are already doing the best they can.

On 6/26/2018 at 10:43 AM, Fixx said:

"Select same" is actually often asked and needed feature.

Not to mention, (in more or less most requested order)

Crop page
Image tracing
Path offset
Perspective Moulding
On screen Measurement tool
Set ruler origin

And don't even get me started on Affinity Publisher >:(

Honestly, I don’t know what the dev' team do all day ;)

P.S. Only kidding guys, keep up the good work. :)

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

I really miss this feature but have adapted to creating global colour palates on starting a job, which would save loads of time if colours where global by default and maybe there was a little tick box to switch the feature off - I remember one time when I'd worked on a big NHS document in inDesign where I done maybe 400 line illustrations setup in lines, tints and shades of a pantone purple, all illustrated within inDesign, then the customer came in and said "I don't like purple" so got her to choose another colour, added the new colour to the palate then deleted the purple which flags the option to swap to another colour in your palate on delete -- 2 seconds later the whole document is sorted

NHS04 Manual Handling Illustrations additions BC768-6.jpg

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

8 minutes ago, Dazmondo77 said:

would save loads of time if colours were global by default and maybe there was a little tick box to switch the feature off

I can’t envisage a scenario where you would need to switch the feature off. If you had (say) a red that you wanted to change globally but you also had some objects that should remain red, you could simply use two instances of the ‘same’ red and always leave one of them unchanged.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 1 year later...
On 6/26/2018 at 5:47 AM, Alfred said:

I can’t envisage a scenario where you would need to switch the feature off. If you had (say) a red that you wanted to change globally but you also had some objects that should remain red, you could simply use two instances of the ‘same’ red and always leave one of them unchanged.

Except that users (new ones, especially) are then required to know that this is the way to do things...

+1 for this feature. I just imported a SVG, had no control of the creation of the illustration, and am now wishing I could easily select all objects with fill colors of "X" for some quick edits. Setting the file up with global colors from the get go is a ship that has sailed. As has the wish for quick edits.

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/26/2018 at 11:43 AM, Fixx said:

"Select same" is actually often asked and needed feature. There is a long thread about it.

I think there is no gallup feature in this forum sw?

I think "Select same" feature should be a basic feature for Designer App. 🙇‍♂️

• 2 weeks later...

This is an ideal tool to isolate complex vector drawings. Then invert the selection and delete the waste from your artwork. Now i've got to click and point this by hand, a nightmare.

I'm getting more and more reasons to stay with AI then seeing any advantages, besides the Designer app being much faster and cheaper in licensing. But what good is software if you're missing out on alot of tools.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Just today posted a comment about Designer's lack of 'Live Trace' feature and now find myself - after getting a very usable vector trace from my old and trusted AI CS5 and then opening that up in Designer to do the cleanup and finished art - having to go back to AI to 'Select Same Fill Colour'. As mentioned in this thread, this is bread and butter workhorse features for production artists and highly needed.

On 2/29/2020 at 12:22 PM, Heriberto Reinoso Gallegos said:

Please guys this is not only an ideal tool it is absolutely necessary in any case. I am sure you can do it. I've installed the latest version of Affinity Design with so much hope that this would be done already, but... nothing still. Please, Please, try to fix this. Thank you.

Uh... please speak for yourself. I understand a lot of people think this is a very convenient feature for their workflow and I am sure a lot of people would be very happy with it and miss it when being used to use it in illustrator or other software. And I understand that pain. But as an illustrator and designer for years and coming from Illustrator I never needed this feature one single time. So please understand 'absolutely necessary' doesn't count for everybody. We all have our own 'absolutely necessary' feature wishes, but 'absolutely necessary' could be put in perspective a little more here I'd say, because there are also other ways to do this for the time being; like global swatches as @MEB wrote. Once you get the hang of using Global swatches they are pretty amazing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I also would like this feature! Global colors wouldn't be a solution for me. After creating an svg for the cricut, I need to group all of the objects of a single color together, for each color. In illustrator I do this by selecting, say, one black object, and then selecting all of the same fill color.

I'm concerned about how long this feature is taking to be developed. I bought Affinity Designer 4 years ago thinking it could replace Illustrator in workflow however without features like these it isn't usable in industrial contexts. For example, you get a technical drawing in pdf vector format, it reads as a layer per vector object. However you want to re-build the layers which happen to be colour coded. Affinity Designer while good, hasn't seen many improvements beyond bug fixes since it release. I agree with @toltec on his/her pile of features we're  **still** waiting for.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a top feature for me and there are several others I would like to see, but that being said, I am completely satisfied with the overall products. Once you get used to navigating the menus and tools and structure, it really is a good group of apps to work with.