You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm used to exporting objects from CaptureOne at their target dpi - so if I export a file at 105mm wide at 720dpi I know it will read into an A6 portrait 720dpi file in Affinity Designer at full size (say).

Exporting files from Affinity Photo though they seem to go out at 300dpi and need resized on import. Am I missing something - ie a way to set the dpi at output?

Using the latet version of AP and AD on Mac 10.13.5

• 11 months later...

It's probably too late and not relevant anymore, but I had similar issue. I found out that when exporting you can assign specific resolution for each slice. You just have to press this small triangle on the left of the slice name in slices window. There you have some options to set width, height, magnitude, etc. This solved my problem. Not exactly setting dpi, but it worked for me.

• 4 months later...
On 6/26/2018 at 1:22 AM, Gabe said:

If your document has 300dpi, it will export at 300dpi. Any DPI changes have to be done in Document > Resize Document. You cannot set the DPI at output, unless you're exporting as PDF. 

You have to be kidding me! I find out now? I'm working on an 11"x17" document at 600 DPI because it will be enlarged for large posters and needs to be shrunk for web use. It would be a terrible practice to go in and change the DPI settings of the actual document for each export. I would imagine the file will become degraded with each resizing/resampling, n'est pas? There has to be a better way than changing document size!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
19 hours ago, duncang said:

Is there any way to do this with a batch job ?  I want to downsample and set DPI to 144 from the default 300 DPI

Changing the DPI is easy. First, record a 1 step macro (or just import this 144 DPI.afmacro into the macro panel & add it to one of your Library categories). To record it yourself, open any file in AP & from the Document menu choose "Resize Document," disable Resample (important!!), & set the DPI to 144.

This macro will change the DPI of any file to 144 without changing anything else, so you can add it to any batch job by selecting it in the Available Macros list & clicking the "Apply" button.

But like @David Edge said, that does not downsample anything. It is possible to create a macro to resample an image using the same Document menu > Resize Document item with the Resample option enabled, but unfortunately, that will record whatever you set the new dimensions to, not the process of resampling itself, so if you were to add that to a batch job, it would set the dimensions of every file in the batch job to those dimensions. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 9/9/2021 at 7:58 PM, David Edge said:

What are you trying to achieve? Changing the dpi doesn't downsample anything. To downsample you need to resize an image, not change the nominal dpi.

I'm am trying to downsample an image and set the dpi to 144.  I know setting dpi to 144 does downsample the image.

Like File->Export and set output size and DPI.  

The only way seems to be using the export persona - but that doesn't work for batch mode. 

On 9/10/2021 at 5:04 AM, R C-R said:

Changing the DPI is easy. First, record a 1 step macro (or just import this 144 DPI.afmacro into the macro panel & add it to one of your Library categories). To record it yourself, open any file in AP & from the Document menu choose "Resize Document," disable Resample (important!!), & set the DPI to 144.

This macro will change the DPI of any file to 144 without changing anything else, so you can add it to any batch job by selecting it in the Available Macros list & clicking the "Apply" button.

But like @David Edge said, that does not downsample anything. It is possible to create a macro to resample an image using the same Document menu > Resize Document item with the Resample option enabled, but unfortunately, that will record whatever you set the new dimensions to, not the process of resampling itself, so if you were to add that to a batch job, it would set the dimensions of every file in the batch job to those dimensions. 

I will try the macro and add that to the batch job which will resize the files.  Thanks

3 hours ago, duncang said:

I'm am trying to downsample an image and set the dpi to 144.  I know setting dpi to 144 does downsample the image.

Did you really mean to write that it does downsample the image?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7