You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Reduce number of colors with indexed colors

I want to create my own paint by numbers, and was playing around with photoshop on how to simplify my image.  I recently changed from photoshop to affinity photo, and am struggling with it. 

What I used to do in photoshop, was to change the image to indexed color, and then play around with the amount of colors in the palet to about 30-50. Photoshop would automatically reduce the number of colors, to get to a simple image with only those colors, with no overflow and with clean lines.

However, I cannot seem to find anywhere in affinity photo how to do a similar thing. I cannot seem to find an indexed color mode. I found the swatches panel and how to create a panel from an image, but no way to then reduce the image to only that panel and nothing else. 

Crap, seriously? The first thing I want to do in affinity that I did with photoshop, and I cannot.... makes me seriously question me switching over.

Is there another approach that would result in a similar effect?  Please don't move it. It is not a feature request. It is a, how am I going to get this effect, question. 

You have the Posterise adjustment

and you can specify the number of colours when exporting to a PNG file

One of the above may be an alternative depending on exactly what you want to do

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 1 year later...

Conversion to Indexed colors is still not an available feature?

I'm in my first hours of Affinity Photo trial. I tried it because I need to work  with indexed colors in a CMYK space. CMYK seems OK but I don't find the way to reduce the number of colors. Any chance to do that?

Thank you

• 11 months later...

I've got this problem too. I'm trying to create a simple spectrum with blocks of colour - my go-to method in Photoshop was to create a gradient spectrum, then use Index to get the numbe of colors I want. Posterizing in Affinity doesn't give a good result. The borders between colours are fuzzy rather than clean. At the moment, I can't think of way of getting a nice clean set of blocks of colour.

Spectrum Grayscale.jpg

I want to pick specific colors, not just limit the number of used colours. In Photoshop this is rather simple. This option has  been there for decades, at least since Photoshop 4.0 / 1996. (Yes, I still have the manual that came with it and looked it up for the occasion, it's on page 312 of the Dutch translation of the Windows version. 😅)

You first determine a palet, safe it as a small file, then choose that at them right before you safe the gif.

• 1 month later...

You can create a selectable number of colors by “create palette from image”

https://affinity.help/photo/en-US.lproj/pages/Appendix/importingSwatches.html

71F56BA9-B939-402F-B91F-F8F6FDCA2A5E.jpeg

Mac mini M1 A2348

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

I appreciate everyones suggestions, really, but

On 4/13/2021 at 2:05 PM, Lagarto said:

G'MIC plug-in with Affinity Photo

I’m on Mac. Does this mean GIMP plugins work with Affinity Photo, but on the Windows version only?

On 6/25/2018 at 12:38 PM, MEB said:

Hi IngridB,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Affinity Photo doesn't support/convert to indexed color mode as Photoshop.

I'm moving this thread to the Feature Requests section.

Since it’s clear that Affinity Photo can’t convert an image to an existing palette of indexed color, I still propose to move this to the Feature Requests section.

2 hours ago, laptopleon said:

I’m on Mac. Does this mean GIMP plugins work with Affinity Photo, but on the Windows version only?

I couldn't get G'MIC into Affinity on my iMac High Sierra but I did get it working with GIMP...

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

On 5/30/2021 at 10:25 AM, iconoclast said:

But it only works with the true Affinity version of Photo. Not with the version from the Microsoft Store.

The G'MIC 8bf plugin version 2.9.6.2 and later should work in the Microsoft Store version of Affinity Photo.

On 5/30/2021 at 9:12 AM, laptopleon said:

The G'MIC 8bf plugin is currently only available for Windows, but as others have noted above the Mac version of GIMP has its own version of the G'MIC plugin.

If you can't get it working in Photo, you could even try the standalone version of G'MIC. But I'm not sure if there is one for MAC.

Anyway, because I bought my Photo version on the Microsoft Store, G'MIC still doesn't work in my Photo. So I still use it in GIMP, as I did before for several years.

48 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

you could even try the standalone version of G'MIC. But I'm not sure if there is one for MAC.

As far as I am aware, you would have to build it from the source code on GitHub. But someone may have compiled binaries for download.

48 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

Anyway, because I bought my Photo version on the Microsoft Store, G'MIC still doesn't work in my Photo.

What version of the G'MIC 8bf plugin are you using? (The version is displayed in the about box of the G'MIC-Qt 8bf plugin).

I have had reports from other users that the Microsoft Store version of Affinity Photo works with the G'MIC 8bf plugin version 2.9.6.2 and later, but I have not tested it myself (I am the author of the 8bf plugin).

Edited by 0xC0000054

4 hours ago, 0xC0000054 said:

As far as I am aware, you would have to build it from the source code on GitHub. But someone may have compiled binaries for download.

What version of the G'MIC 8bf plugin are you using? (The version is displayed in the about box of the G'MIC-Qt 8bf plugin).

I have had reports from other users that the Microsoft Store version of Affinity Photo works with the G'MIC 8bf plugin version 2.9.6.2 and later, but I have not tested it myself (I am the author of the 8bf plugin).

Hi 0xC0000054!

Thanx for this hint, but unfortunatly it still doesn't seem to work. I don't know with which version I tested it first, but it always caused error messages. Now, after I removed the old version, I downloaded the version 2.9.7, unzipped it, opened the Default Folder in Explorer from the Preferences of Affinity Photo, copied the 8bf-file and the gmic-folder into it so that it looked like in the installation guide on the G'MIC-site. "Allow unknown plugins to be used" was still active. And I restarted Affinity Photo. G'MIC and "Input/Output Settings for G'MIC QT" are shown in the "Filters"-menu under "Plugins", but they are greyed out, even if a raster image is opened.

1092575500_Defaultfolder.jpg.514ac9035d940ea36a0dbb5052916c31.jpg

229514708_gmic.thumb.jpg.2e745de9e87e223788e06d8666170ffe.jpg

7 hours ago, iconoclast said:

but they are greyed out, even if a raster image is opened.

Is your image using a 32-bit floating point image mode? The 8bf plugin only supports 8-bit and 16-bit integer image modes.

G'MIC uses 32-bit floating point as its internal format, but changing the 8bf plugin to support 32-bit floating point would be a significant amount of work.

6 hours ago, 0xC0000054 said:

Is your image using a 32-bit floating point image mode? The 8bf plugin only supports 8-bit and 16-bit integer image modes.

G'MIC uses 32-bit floating point as its internal format, but changing the 8bf plugin to support 32-bit floating point would be a significant amount of work.

At first, thanks for your engagement! G'MIC is great!

Now the answer. That was in fact a point I didn't think about. And as I tested it some minutes ago,  it seemed to work. At least the G'MIC-GUI opened. Will test it today to be save that it works. But looks good so far. Thanks again!

2 hours ago, iconoclast said:

That was in fact a point I didn't think about.

One of the most common causes of a Photoshop-compatible filter being grayed out in the menu is due to that plugin not supporting the current image mode. 32-bit floating point is one of the less common RGB modes for a Photoshop-compatible filter to support. Many filters support editing 16-bit RGB images, but some may only support editing 8-bit RGB images.

2 hours ago, iconoclast said:

At first, thanks for your engagement! G'MIC is great!

I only wrote the 8bf plugin that allows G'MIC-Qt to be used from within a compatible plugin host.

David Tschumperlé is the main developer of the G'MIC core library, and Sébastien Fourey is the main developer of the G'MIC-Qt front-end. There are also many other contributors to both projects, the G'MIC homepage has a partial list of contributors in "The Team" section.