You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Auto Document Size

Something I use in the other app a lot is to do a screen capture to clipboard, then when I type Command-N the new document window opens with the size of my capture as the default (based on the clipboard). Then I just paste the capture into the new document.

See attached as an example.

post-6793-0-64803000-1425001781_thumb.jpg

"You're never too old to create refrigerator art..." - crosbymultimedia.com <- site's being tweaked. "I have been wrong before."

• Staff

Apart for creating a document that you will then paste the contents of the clipboard into it, is there another use for creating a document the size of the clipboard?

If not then wouldn't it be better to have a 'Paste as new Document' menu command instead?

If not then wouldn't it be better to have a 'Paste as new Document' menu command instead?

That's one smart solution. Which already would be quite ok (default would be paste as layer + transparent background + color profile of the capture or a default one, etc.)

Still, the "new document" set at clipboard size would allow to choose other options like transparent background or not, profile (if change is needed), margin, etc.

WebSite.pngTwitter.png500px.pngFlickr.png

Apart for creating a document that you will then paste the contents of the clipboard into it, is there another use for creating a document the size of the clipboard?

I use this feature quite often to show clients what I'm doing, and getting clarifications and approvals -- often using arrows, notes and comments on the document itself -- sometimes enlarging the canvas for my notes. I've used it to illustrate articles, as well as send things to friends that can't open the TIF files copy/paste creates. I use it to send pictures in this forum, etc.

So however it's implemented in a way that saves steps it would be fine. If it's a Paste as New Document menu command then I'd love it if there's also a simple keyboard shortcut (versus something like Command+Option+Shift+Left Arrow twice+J) and that it's accessible from a non-opened document state. Meaning, that if I run AP, with no documents open, I can still access the menu item and the keyboard shortcut and create the new document to the clipboard's size. Won't be as easy as just pressing Command-N but workable.

"You're never too old to create refrigerator art..." - crosbymultimedia.com <- site's being tweaked. "I have been wrong before."

• Staff

I use this feature quite often. So however it's implemented in a way that saves steps it would be fine. If it's a Paste as New Document menu command then I'd love it if there's also a simple keyboard shortcut (versus something like Command+Option+Shift+Left Arrow twice+J) and that it's accessible from a non-opened document state. Meaning, that if I run AP, with no documents open, I can still access the menu item and the keyboard shortcut and create the new document to the clipboard's size. Won't be as easy as just pressing Command-N but workable.

I guess it's actually CMD+N > OK > CMD+V but I agree it needs to be quick and easy to remember.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I would also like to see this feature added.  Ideally the clipboard object (if it's an image type) should be used to set the dimensions in the a new document dialogue box.  This would save a whole load of time, especially when transferring assets out of a final design for web development.

• 4 weeks later...