You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Which graphic tablet are you using?

13 hours ago, firstdefence said:

I always have a jar that I put spare change into or just money in my pocket, it's surprising how quickly it mounts up over a couple of years and you generally have more than enough to replace. I generally have a 2-3 year replacement cycle now so that I get a reasonable return on the older gear and get the latest tech without shelling out the full amount, oh! and much to my partners dismay I always save boxes lol!

Yes...although a lot of freelancers get so tight in money that there's no spoon no jar at all... ;). In my case, it's my bills, and also certain friends' ones, that got hit hard by a global situation, and I'm so stupid that I help there.... That's my "jar", lol. Before doing this, my jar would allow really good savings (so, I agree with you, and one can even save more than with spare changes...just never saving in health and food matters, that's my thought about it). Indeed, I'm much of the conviction that there's two ways of having money in your pocket : earning it,. and not spending it...The former is crucial... the latter is a life saver, but if everybody would think so, the economy would collapse, lol... Thing is, that's the case of just a minimal % of the population...People enjoy spending. :)

The very interesting part of this whole thing, in my opinion, is that removing a literal ton of marketing, and speaking from experience of someone who has drawn and painted a lot at companies and home, is not like we need, pro or not, a cintiq or cintiq alternative. Indeed, for serious graphics creation you'd better off putting first bucks in other things. A good computer is key, and much more important. IE, a modern Ryzen or Coffee Lake (or what they'll release next) is much more important than the matter of if one is purchasing a cintiq or a Deco 03, an Intuos Pro, Intuos, or etc (always speaking of medium size, 21 - 25 cm wide... ideally L, better). As one for example can go with a Deco 03 or Intuos L(with quite more bucks, but still is not breaking the bank), and a good machine quite farther than would with a supertastic Cintiq 27 and a celeron, core i3 U series or one of those 2 cores pentiums. Even putting money in a cintiq alternative previous to having an actually decent machine is not an efficient way to use the money for a graphic creator, freelance or not.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

17 hours ago, Wosven said:

Same problems with the videos on Win7 with Firefox Nightly and Chrome.

Thank you, Wosven.

I'm  Win 10 on Firefox, so it would seem it's these browsers that don't like to show mp4 files. Everything else is fine.

Thanks for the download tip; I didn't know it was an option.

R

Affinity Designer & Photo  :  Win 10

• 1 month later...

This thread has really grown big - I just wanted to let you know that I bought the XP-PEN Deco 03.

From what I can tell it really works like a charm! Thank you for all the feedback, suggestions and comments!

I have a simple accompanying question: When I create logos, I usually do a lot of sketches and scribbles. When I draw with the pen it is - precision is a curse here - spidery / scrawly. I already experimented with Designer's features to make smooth lines, but then I always have the auxiliary controls floating around.  The best setup so far is the Pencil Tool, but all stablilizer, controller and other settings did not produce the desired "scribble mode".

What are you doing in order to get smoother lines while drawing fast with a pen?

Thanks for the good feedback about Deco 03 ! As I keep recommending it from a pair of pros I know which gave an amazing feedback about it, and certain positive video reviews, but apart from that and two users in these forums (now 3 ;) ) , I have no more data, but all what I get is really positive. Obviously the interesting part is that is half the price than the Wacom Intuos (non pro) Medium (another great purchase) being bigger in active area than the wacom, yet of very high quality.  About your issue, not sure if I understood it well... There are issues with the brush in AP (*cough*, my sig) and in AD (which are kind of different) but not sure if I really understood your issue... Anyway, the teams at Serif I feel (it seems, just my 2c) are fully at max throttle, I don't think these can get improved for a while, we'd better find workarounds (or companion apps) meanwhile.

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

On 8/6/2018 at 10:24 AM, Roger C said:

Hi @Vince42

What did you find when using your new tablet with Designer?

We're always keen to learn here on the forum. Could you share your method of creating that pleasing "scribble mode"? Even tiny tips are fun!:13_upside_down:

Regarding the findings: everything works as expected and very well so far. ;)

Well, although I doubt, that you can learn from a noob like me, I will nevertheless share the way to my "scribble mode". :P

• First I played around with the Pen Tool [P], but as you might already have guessed: this led to nothing.
  • Then I switched to Pencil Tool [N]
    • First I had image.png.a22d943b1b6755ad2a63828983ddc9f4.png and image.png.917b336e67b37ba0afb298fa08044cfe.png off, which led to the above-mentioned "edgy" curves.
    • Then I fiddled around with the Controller setting, but the curves were still too edgy for my purpose. Eventually I ended up with "Automatic" again. This might change, once I have a sketching project, which would require an emphasis on velocity, pressure or something else.
    • The Stabilizer did the job. I am setting it to a very low value (like 1 to 5) for handwriting and higher values (10 - 20) for drawing little figures. I hope that the future routine will reveal the ideal values for each purpose.
    • Regarding Rope or Window Mode image.png.3d0dad2f107a96507dc0026da16f7166.png I found that Rope Mode is working better for my "scribble mode".

This all is obviously nothing new and probably quite boring for any pro - but you asked for it. ;)

Not boring at all, for pros and whatnot.... Not every professional has a Deco 03 (if tomorrow my intuos XL would break, I might just buy one of those! ) so, any feedback is extremely valuable, specially if as detailed as yours. :)

I am personally more interested in raster apps (like Affinity Photo or Pixel Persona mode), as what I do most is painting, but every single feedback tells us more about this tablet, which is proving to have a more than sensational quality/price ratio. The only thing is that for non US folks, gotta be purchased at Amazon, but I like Amazon a lot, so,...no biggie. :D

This tablet, one of the few alternatives to count on a battery-free pen,  and due to that and other reasons, quite a nice brush line, a really generous active area for the price, and a good collection of test labs certifications passed (extremely unusual in whatever non-wacom), has like all alternatives the disadvantage of not having the name of a brand like Wacom behind it. So, any feedback is gold. If it keeps the 100 bucks aggressive pricing, it is able to really take over in that market range. IMO.

Thanks a lot. B|:77_alien:

That's why I recommend the Deco 03 from XP-PEN.  It's somewhat above the Medium (M) size (wider and taller), yet it's battery-free pens like Wacom's, 8192 pressure levels, even better rps than many wacom models, same lpi, counts on test labs certifications, the dial/disc, etc, etc. For a price at Amazon (last time I checked) that goes even under the Small (S) model price from Wacom. A great deal for 100$, IMHO. The major issue would be having no references, but we have several users here, even working with Affinity, and I count on two other -pro- friends outside this community reporting it to be a good tablet.

My usual recommendation is, depending on budget, is going for a Wacom L (preferably), or a Deco 03. ANY tablet for solely pixel art or photo retouch, IMO (Small(S) are indeed convenient for those tasks).  It is important to , though, to remember that price is not the only factor to consider. Some people can't handle big tablets, for some reason. Often is just a psychological thing. Or don't count on the real state space for it. It's kind of a large thing ! . I think the L size is important for illustration and specially inking, this is why is my number one recommendation for serious illustration work.... My XL is maybe a bit too big, but this has some key advantages, too. 

I could in the future go for a Huion Kamvas 221 pro, for 900 bucks, or the Dell Canvas 27 (a qhd 27 clon, IMO) , which I believe is around 1700. I have some psychological barrier on the 2k line, dunno why. (so, not thinking in a 24 HD cintiq pro, for example. And the 22 HD non touch screen is aging, some of the alternatives have now more up to date screen specs! Which I wouldn't mind specially, but color accuracy is one of them.  )  . Also, I've said many times that i am lately a big defender of traditional non display tablets, for two reasons :  1) Ergonomics: I  fully believe are nicer for really long sessions (eyesight and body position). yes, you can handle it in many ways, but a lot of people never do that 2) Sustainability. If your drawing device breaks somehow, and is out of warranty, (even if it is not, the regular tablets are more likely to be even at your local store, specially Wacom's. A great factor in the middle of a project with tight deadlines)  is way more expensive to replace an 800 - 3k bucks display than a 100 to 400 $ one. You could even have to wait months to get savings for a replacement, and you have not developed the habit to use regular tablet, which requires a training you might have to improvise in those months...with deadlines... ;).   I can (I have) used both, which is always a good safety thing. When I had my Cintiq, is not that I trashed my many other tablets ( I 've trashed a few, but still keep a Wacom Intuos 1, a graphire, an Intuos Small, bestbuy, etc. So I would just quickly set my other tablet in the laptop or desktop with any emerging issue. This is a terrific advantage and flexibility you don't have if you can "only" paint in display-tablets.(which is the natural route from someone that came from -like me- traditional painting only, initially)

Edit:  @MacMayhem  ...I'd say Wacom's pen-displays (cintiqs) yep, are very overpriced. But IMO, not the case with several pen-tablets models from wacom. You pay construction quality, tilt, and many other things.  Now Wacom L is in offer (surely we need to thank this to the alternatives, like always in any market...but it's happening) for ONLY 400 bucks. Nobody should regret a purchase like that. An L sized tablet of that quality for 400, is quite a very nice deal. In the Intuos small size, and medium size... it was an OK deal and price till recently.... Now, with Deco 03, or, a very new one from HUION (non display!), that  a user here pointed  me to (Arnaud? Were you the one? Edit: yap, was him, lol... just previous page), which , FINALLY is a Huion bateery-free pen one, very similar to Deco 03 (but more expensive than Deco 03, and temporary price, it will go even higher, am afraid) , but I don't have enough feedback from that Huion model, like I do from the Deco 03, and also, trust more that specific tablet (curiously, I don't necessarily trust nor would pick other XP-PEN models! I'd probably go for a Huion in pen-displays, but only their very high end gamma (Kamvas GT-221 Pro, only, I mean.  EDIT:  The V2 version, recent one. As seems is the model with the BATTERY-FREE pen, actually.   810 $ right now at Amazon).)

27 minutes ago, MacMayhem said:

So far it has been just as good as my Wacom Cintiq and your drawing on the screen for about $500.  https://amzn.to/2M8tagu

Cheers!

Nice tablet, at a fantastic price.  No high refresh time that would lead to ghosting like in some old huions (14ms is fine for these tablets, when it's 25 ms is more of a problem(check some of the Huion models, is only fine in the most modern/pricier ones)

2048 vs Deco 03 8192 levels of pressure should never be an issue, and it has a good RPS value (report rate) in the pen, coupled with high enough resolution in the tablet(5k lpi).  My only big issue: battery based pen. Apart from the need of charging... how are the lines? Do you notice line jitter/wobble? (hardly noticeable if only digital painting) More or less than with your cintiq ?  This is noticed mostly when inking comics or line art based illustration. Battery based pens can be jitter-free, but most are not. Some brands have managed to compensate the issues, though, but is rarely the case. Deco 03 is battery-free, same as Wacom's and the Huion traditional (but very new) pen-tablet that Arnaud mentioned, its pen is also battery-free, doesn't need charging.  It has a nice rating in Amazon. That "could" be a good sign. The price is extremely hard to beat. (I personally would opt better to put that money in a Wacom L, but that's me...As I need that the monitor is color calibrated and pro level....Among other things.  )

Very nice tablet.  :)

Really, very much recommended the Huion pen-display I mentioned (for those preferring pen-displays, or those that like me, would like to have it as an additional tablet)

Am checking at Amazon the V2 advantages / new things and I am really shocked right now ....What caught my attention  :

- battery-free pen (actually I knew this from the v2 version, I just had forgotten. this typically leads to better line accuracy, less line jitter.

- Antiglare coat or pre-applied (I hope!) film (edit: nope, you gotta apply it....).  I'm a clear "not a fan" of glossy screens for drawing...

- 8192 levels of pressure. No biggie, but is really good for painting.

- the usual 266rps/5080 lpi combo that most alternatives are getting in their top models.

- 20 on-tablet buttons.

- 100 sRGB gammut support is not like Cintiqs' 98% or 100% Adobe RGB color space support, obviously, but is quite more than other alternatives are offering. Indeed, typically you can have a very decent workflow with most POD printers if the monitor supports at least well sRGB.

- Am very intrigued with their new pen tech.

- two pen side buttons, like Wacom's.

- The fact that I am having most positive feedback from Huion pen-display models than from other alternative brands.

Gotta insist, am all time referring to the V2 version (at this time, only 12$ difference, it really is worth it ! ) :

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F8TDD6Y?ref_=ams_ad_dp_ovrl&th=1

Edit:

Might be a problem for we EU people, it comes with a standard US plug....

- It seems can be COLOR (not referring here to pen calibration) calibrated by hardware. A detail I'm never sure about with alternatives, but I have read you can with this one...

- Hadn't mentioned, but contrast ratio is just fine 1000:1

- gammut support, 72 % NTSC, 100% sRGB. Nothing brilliant, but, as can be calibrated it can end up decent for most workflows.

- users report customer service is better than with other alternatives . Is not the first time I read that.

All that said. I will insist on my main line of thought... pen-tablets are cheaper and for other extra reasons, a better choice (in this way of thinking, I am completely alone, though). I wouldn't jump into a pen-display as a first thing. I'd probably buy the Deco 03 (people inking might go just directly for a Wacom L, those 400$ are well used), also as is 100$, hard to regret, low risk purchase, and then, as something to use in shorter sessions, a pen-display, like this Huion or the above mentioned Ugee (or any other good one, depending on your budget and professional or hobby needs). But this setup would require 2 computers (or desktop + laptop, not that rare). As typically you need to fully revamp any trace of your tablet drivers with each tablet, specially with alternative brands.

1 hour ago, SrPx said:

I personally would opt better to put that money in a Wacom L, but that's me...As I need that the monitor is color calibrated and pro level....Among other things.

The Ugee is just a quick fix until the iPad Pro update. I also just sold my iPad Pro thinking this summer we would be getting the update, but now it looks like September-ish. 

I wouldn't spend anything more than $500 on anything else but this Ugee. $500 and above in my opinion there is only 1 choice, iPad Pro. The iPad Pro beats anything out there. Wacom can't touch the Apple Pen by far the best thing I've used! The only thing not completely up to par was some of the software choices. Adobe Illustrator Draw - Junk,  Adobe Sketch - Junk, Tayasui Sketches - Close but no cigar, Procreate - Not Vector, Pixelmator - Not Vector, Astropad - Had promise until it turned into another Adobe cash grab, Ugh!, Paper 53 - Childish Interface, Not Vector, Concepts - Best color picker, thats about it. I haven't tried out Affinity Designer on the iPad yet.

AD on the iPad is told to specially shine.... I'd give enough chances, a serious try.

I agree at least in some points: iPad has the software support issue, at least at pro level. And iOS issues for certain graphic workflows aspects. But this might change with AD/AP and some others.

And also that ....kind of going beyond 500 "feels" as too much, a psychological barrier... (in my case, mostly because I'm vastly happy with a Wacom L or the like, and that's now 400)

About Pencil being superior to Wacom pen... Do you mean also having used the latest Wacom Pro pen? The one included in the very latest gen... there are very strong improvements... I used the pencil +iPad pro in a few occasions, wasn't impressed, in comparison to what I was loosing due to the platform and painting board/screen size...

16 hours ago, SrPx said:

AD on the iPad is told to specially shine.... I'd give enough chances, a serious try.

I agree at least in some points: iPad has the software support issue, at least at pro level. And iOS issues for certain graphic workflows aspects. But this might change with AD/AP and some others.

And also that ....kind of going beyond 500 "feels" as too much, a psychological barrier... (in my case, mostly because I'm vastly happy with a Wacom L or the like, and that's now 400)

About Pencil being superior to Wacom pen... Do you mean also having used the latest Wacom Pro pen? The one included in the very latest gen... there are very strong improvements... I used the pencil +iPad pro in a few occasions, wasn't impressed, in comparison to what I was loosing due to the platform and painting board/screen size...

AD on iPad looks promising. I'm new to finally taking the plunge on the AD desktop and unfortunately not the illustrator killer I was hoping. A lot to like but a lot that needs fixing. Expand stroke for instance.

I haven't had any workflow issues with iOS, some new to the platform might. I can't even find that Wacom listed on their website, is it available in the US?

Yes I just had the latest Wacom and sold it, its good. I just prefer iPad. Apple Pencil just feels more natural to me. 12x18 iPad is plenty big, I've never drawn to the edges on any monitor I've had, most people zoom in and work in the middle of the screen. I'm about as Pro as you can get and have zero issues with Apple Pencil or iPad performance. I also like for the price you get a mobile office that I can pitch clients, find files, send invoice. Wacom just sits there doing nothing to help me, lol.

1 minute ago, Vince42 said:

I am waiting for the Android Tablet version of AD ... ;)

I think you’ll be waiting for a very, very long time!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 1 month later...
On 6/24/2018 at 6:26 PM, gdenby said:

I'm using a Huion wh1409. The pen response is good. I fussed a bit w. the pressure controls recently, and it helped, but I can't quite get as smooth a response as I'd like. That could be because of my arthritic hands. The other down side of the tablets design is that the programable buttons are matte black. I've yet to get around to putting dabs of liquid paper on them so I can see them in dim light.

I just received this model and the only software that seems to have a problem with it is the one I use the most: Affinity Photo.

The strokes take some time to register and don't start until I am a little far into it. Any other software works perfectly which proves the problem is not in the tablet. I never thought I would find someone using this somewhat obscure tablet in this not so famous software (compared to the huge ones) but looks like the heavens have helped me this time :)

What did you do for it to work properly?? Help me please as I need Affinity Photo to draw... thanks in advance :D 

The strokes take some time to register and don't start until I am a little far into it.

I think that what you describe is not happening only to that Huion...