You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Which graphic tablet are you using?

I recently wondered, whether I should buy a graphic tablet in order to use it with Affinity Designer. I would not like to buy something recommended on Amazon and end up finding out that it does not work (well) with Affinity Designer. 

Which tablets are you using? Is it really worth to buy a Wacom tablet or are there good Ugee ones? I think as an amateur / enthusiast I should rather start with a cheaper device, right?

I have the XP-Pen Deco 03, very happy with it at the mo, driver updates are good, about 1 a month, support is great from XP-Pen with quick replies from their Facebook page.  

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I'm using a Huion wh1409. The pen response is good. I fussed a bit w. the pressure controls recently, and it helped, but I can't quite get as smooth a response as I'd like. That could be because of my arthritic hands. The other down side of the tablets design is that the programable buttons are matte black. I've yet to get around to putting dabs of liquid paper on them so I can see them in dim light.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

The Deco 03 mentioned above has an amazing prize/size/quality ratio, in Amazon, first hand (I kind of don't recommend second hand for tablets...only if they are Wacom, and you can really really trust the shop and its warranty, or the friend-owner).

In Wacom, I only recommend from medium size (Intuos or Intuos Pro, tho I believe they changed the naming...again) and up. My fav purchase is a Intuos L size. I have a Wacom Intuos Pro 4 XL

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

On 6/24/2018 at 10:26 PM, gdenby said:

The other down side of the tablets design is that the programable buttons are matte black. I've yet to get around to putting dabs of liquid paper on them so I can see them in dim light.

Funny you should mention that, I recently bought a big fast laptop with a backlit and illuminated keyboard. I often use it in a fairly dim room but I just can't read the blasted keys >:(

I had to buy some of those stick on keyboard stickers, and it's much harder to get them on straight than you might think :$

Still, it makes a reasonable security feature, like painting a car bright pink with purple spots. Who would want to steal that ?

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Ugee 19" screen tablet plugged into an old 2009 Macbook pro, which I've had for around 3 years - works great - I now take it for granted  - I was up and running within 10 minutes (just needed to calibrate the screen) - it paid for itself within the first two days I had it  - works ACE with both AD & AP - within the first few weeks I did also purchase  a monitor arm thingy which enables you to have it in an upright position for the majority of the time and then just fold it down into a comfortable drawing position when needed - just wish Apple would make an iMac studio with pencil support and I'd upgrade cos I just can't imagine going back to a bog standard iMac and wacom intuos and I don't get on with windows so the Surface studio is out - but I'm just happy that I have what I have for the time being I also bought my daughter a ugee graphics tablet for christmas that works great on her iMac - so I would give a big thumbs up to Ugee gear

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

I should buy a graphic tablet in order to use it with Affinity Designer

My advice would be to think about buying a graphics tablet to use with your computer, not just with Affinity Designer.

I have a Medium sized Wacom Intuos which I purchased about 7 years ago. Other than basic Photoshop stuff, I never used it much as I could do most things more quickly with my trusty mouse. About 5 years ago I decided to give it another go - but this time I put the mouse away and forced myself to only use the pen and tablet with everything I did on the computer. It took about three weeks of perseverance for it to start to feel natural.

I've not used a mouse since. 

I do 2d work (Affinity and Adobe software), video work ( Final Cut Pro and After Effects) and 3d work (Cinema 4D and 3d Coat) all with the tablet - along with the usual email and browsing etc.

The trick is to get your pen buttons and keyboard set up properly (Right Click, Pan and Scroll, Option key plus hover etc) and you'll eventually get muscle memory, at which point everything will feel natural and quick. I even do layout work with the pen and I know a few people who revert to the mouse when using Indesign.

I also purchased a small Intuos Pen and touch tablet which I take out on the road with me as the larger one is too big to lug around. It's surprisingly good too.

I can't comment on other tablet brands - but whatever you chose, buy a good one and force yourself to use it all the time. It will feel unnatural at first but eventually you'll LOVE IT.

With reference to size, I have no direct experience with large size tablets however colleagues who have used them found them to be quite tiring to work with as you have to move your wrist/arm a lot more to navigate the tablet.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Dougie

Larger ones are good for accurate line art... For photo retouch, you are good to go with a small size, even. Digital painting, for that is enough a medium size one, tho even there I recommend an L size, but that's just an advice. For comic , I'd totally recommend L, unless one already is used to the medium size and can do perfectly the works by heavy usage of line stabilizers. (for inking. For penciling, retouch, pixel art and painting I always would (I do) set them OFF  )

My recommendation (or personal opinion, better said) of the Deco 03 (agreeing with a previous poster) is because of several factors. Main one : Certain friend of mine is pretty happy with it, and he does a lot of and very varied artwork .  Also, it seems it uses a battery free pen: less hassle, but also, battery free ones are said to show less tendency to produce jitter in slow lines. As a difference with other alternative brands, and even with other products from XP-Pen, this tablet has passed more lab certifications than usual for "alternative" (we've got used to call that everything non Wacom, maybe is time to stop it, lol...)  brands. Might sound a bit of a silly thing, but I put attention to that (probably has more probabilities for having good build quality, durability, electromagnetic issues etc)....  It has a size larger than a medium from Wacom, yet still is more or less at the same price of a Wacom Intuos Small. In Amazon, that is (first hand, from the actual company, I believe). 

But that is the recommendation for the 100 bucks range. My total recommendation for serious illustration is the Wacom Large (is true, you need to move more the arm, and less the wrist, but due to doing so, you are less likely to get carpal tunnel and related issues. After all, oil painters work often in much larger canvases). Due to many reasons. Not necessarily the Paper version, as those ink cartridges can't be replaced with cheap refills, must be through Wacom store, but the Paper model is not that much more expensive. (but would only make sense for inkers, IMO. And I haven't tested how good is that feature. In this forum there have been complaints (totally unrelated to Affinity products)  about this feature, I believe it was in the SVG export. So, what I recommend is the non Paper versions. I'd like to check that functionality, though.... ). 

About pen-displays, I'm hearing the best things (and less issues than with other alternatives) lately about the latest, more modern Huion devices (specially the Kanvas 221 PRO. If you don't want to use so much money (900$, I believe) of quite less quality, yet still good, they have the Kanvas 191 (500$)) The only 2 cons for the cheaper model, the 191 (and that's too few for a cintiq alternative) that I see is 1) some nvidia cards may find image with poor contrast, slightly washed out (like many average monitors output), but people have found a  trick for this (seems is less the case for DVI connections instead of HDMI) 2) Screen refresh,  that is at a not very good value, 25ms. Too slow. That forces some ghosting when moving elements or scrolling. I returned a semi professional MVA monitor with great blacks and color depth just for this value, 25ms, was blurry scrolling test.  But the 221 Pro model has "only" 14ms (equal to XP-Pen  22 Pro, and many others). While still a high (the smaller, the better) value, in reviews it does not seem to produce ghosting in movement. I've had a 16ms monitor, and I only noticed sth disturbing playing very fast FPS games, many years ago, tho was not terrible, even in that activity (hardcore gamers would shout at me, but I'm used to 'poor man' solutions :D ).  

Of course, most cintiq alternatives have this kind of bad refresh values, even more the MVAs screens (tho much much better in color reproduction than a TN panel) . These Huion Kanvas are IPS screens (really good for the purpose... and most other uses), but still, have a bit of a high value in refresh (or should I say slow value, lol, excuse my English). I'd say each is rightly positioned... the 221 pro for more pro people, the 191, even for pros, too (but need to adjust to some stuff that comes with the -400 lower price)).. I'd just go to the 221 all the way, for many reasons.(risking 500 bucks is too risky, anyway, I'd prefer to wait till having the 900).

In general, IMO all brands (for drawing tablets, screen based or not) have evolved a lot, lately. It would be rare that you would get a bad experience with an Ugee, Yinova, XP-Pen, Artisul, etc. Indeed, Huions' count on battery based pens (they give you two, so that you can have one charging in the meantime, but they charge in an hour and last weeks (for me, it'd last 4 days, I'm afraid :D )), so, if you hate that, might go for Artisul D16, it uses battery-free ones in their 16" model. Curiously, the newer 22" model uses a battery based one. Dunno why the $@$grfX! is it so, is like going backwards... I can't stand small sizes, but if you like 15-16 inches, their model in that range, Artisul D16, and XP-Pen's 16 Pro, both have really good 16 inches screens in terms of color (above 90% (94 and 92) Adobe RGB, both. That's a lot for a Cintiq alternative. and a lot for a monitor of that price (you are getting a drawing tablet+a monitor that can be used as a regular monitor, too! Sepcially is comes with the vesa mount possibility) . The XP-Pen 16 Pro uses battery based pens, though. Like their 22" model (this one supports a 77-82% of Adobe RGB, which isn't that terrible at least for illustration, means that you can probably get it configured and calibrated as supporting 100% sRGB color space.(anyway, best setup is having a pro monitor to go checking colors from time to time. A lot of complaints about color, though, come from people that do not calibrate their monitors... and an important smaller percentage, from people that really need very good color accuracy in their work (print, photo labs, etc).  IMO, not the case for most amateur artists.  Good sRGB support for them is good to go. )

In general, I'd just remember to calibrate the pen, and calibrate the screen -as with any other monitor- for good color accuracy. There are even free tools, that at least can help you get a non crazy situation in color, but of what I have seen, the free tools are too basic. Might be worth to purchase a hardware calibrator that comes with software for that. They are relatively cheap. Also, I hate glossy screens, and other people hate the lose of sharpness that some too heavy anti glare filters produce -mounted internally or those that you can remove...or those that come to be applied by you (care with the bubbles, and clean first...). Best situation is having an anti glare filter that is not too "intense". One number one bag of issues a lof people find (no pressure detected, calibration issues, offset, etc, etc) comes from not doing a simple thing: Uninstall previously and fully any wacom or other tablet driver (pen-tablet, or pen-display. Just wipe any driver out of the system, first) previous to installing the new pen-display driver.

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

I recently posted a request for a change to the PenTabletSetting Express Keys Tab. and they have passed it onto the Devs.

Original Version
1090545054_ScreenShot2018-06-26at19_07_25.png.8d4f2225328aa779ad42b1249c3a31ef.png

My Suggestion.

511958380_AlternativeExpressKeysTab.jpg.ecf44f9f8678d7fe3d07bdaa767072a8.jpg

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

but...eyedropper, hand tool, etc... it will depend on the key shortcut, as rarely , even wacom drivers, wouldn't really be able to "understand" what is eraser or color picker, etc, from each program... even "defined by application" often wont work...

Isn't it better to leave them as configurable as keys? If it has a config per each app like wacom - I dunno- each app would need different keys, but that's no prob..... ie, typical 'e' for eraser, alt for interactive color picker,  b for brush, etc.  Or whatever the keys you want to configure. Not sure if I understood the mock-up....

For the disc, the most useful thing for me -as an illustrator, comic author and game artist-  is for brush size change, I simply set there my keys in each program there for increase and reduce size. The wacom disc can be changed in its sensitivity at the driver panel, which makes it usable(I set it to be with minimum sensitivity, so I can  increase/decrease with a lot of precision)... As I use the mouse, too, zoom for me is the mouse wheel....(pan with the middle button, the actual wheel)

So, the Deco 03 goes well for you in A. Photo and A. Designer ?

The Deco 03 is very good in Both, I had to adjust the pressure curve a bit but once I'd got that sorted it was much easier to use. The 

1067167798_ScreenShot2018-06-27at09_34_16.png.7d6574540c818975dbfcaa4906d1d835.png

The Mockup was just an alternative to having a dropdown list for the Keys, you get to see what each Key is set to, so its more of a visual reference but it does make it easier to set each Key quickly. Having a dropdown list adds unnecessary steps to set a Keys function. I actually do have the Dial to brush size and its a very natural feel for me as my left hand pretty much sits right next to it anyway, so you find yourself resizing the brush in a very intuitive way.
I have Mac and the Magic Mouse so I do use the Keyboard which sits at the top of my Tablet, I use these things interchangeably, whichever suits me at the time.

I do have one niggle though and that's, if you use the cable for connection it gets in the way of the Dial There should be a small clip that you can clip the cable into so that it holds the cable straight and below the Dial. I'll show you later what I mean but I have to got to work now so will be later tonight.

Thank you, I did not know about the cable being too near the disc, as I don't have this tablet. But is a piece of hardware that for its quality/price/size ratio, seems really interesting. 

I'm an all with cables person, no wireless. And as  it sounds, not a show stopper for me (I use C, V keys for brush size, or any other pair, since decades, as I'm a quite a keyboard shortcuts person. I even don't use the Wacom Intuos Pro in-tablet buttons (just the disc, and not always).

The cable niggle is absolutely not a deal breaker, I don't regret buying this tablet for a second, its a great bit of kit, but I think a simple stick on clip to hold it flat to the work surface would be a nice touch.

On 6/26/2018 at 2:28 PM, douglasrthomson said:

I have a Medium sized Wacom Intuos which I purchased about 7 years ago. Other than basic Photoshop stuff, I never used it much as I could do most things more quickly with my trusty mouse. About 5 years ago I decided to give it another go - but this time I put the mouse away and forced myself to only use the pen and tablet with everything I did on the computer. It took about three weeks of perseverance for it to start to feel natural.

Really interesting comments here to read and follow.

Some years ago, I did as  @douglasrthomson so I would learn to use Gimp and other tools at home (so I would feel "at home", doing things for me… not feeling like at work using the same apps)… I did the same with AP (andsometimes it was a struggle until I found new workflow to do the same thing as in other apps).  I should have applied this to the tablet like you did ! 

A Small Wacom intuos pro, but I'm not expert enought to compare and give counsels.

And as the other, I find the Deco 03 interesting and I like the design.

On 6/24/2018 at 9:28 PM, Vince42 said:

I recently wondered, whether I should buy a graphic tablet in order to use it with Affinity Designer. I would not like to buy something recommended on Amazon and end up finding out that it does not work (well) with Affinity Designer. 

Which tablets are you using? Is it really worth to buy a Wacom tablet or are there good Ugee ones? I think as an amateur / enthusiast I should rather start with a cheaper device, right?

Hi @Vince42 i'm not an expert using pen tablets but i own a Wacom One CTL-671 and it works very well with both Affinity softwares.

As i said, i'm not an expert and i feel like i'm missing few of the precious functionalities or setup tricks but ... you can give it a try by buying one, it's cheaper and just works fine.

Hope this help you !

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

I am using a Wacom Medium size Intuos 5 Touch (comics) tablet. It is small enough to take together with the laptop and exactly big enough to draw comfortably.

It is important that you get used to your tablet. I use it for everything and don't want a touchpad or mouse any more. Like others say, make sure you set it up correctly to your preference.

Chris

1 hour ago, Arnaud Mez said:

As i said, i'm not an expert and i feel like i'm missing few of the precious functionalities or setup tricks but

In a extremely fast glance at specs :

- 1024 levels of pressure (several alternatives even reach 8192 levels). I made all the 2D art work of a large game, at certain company back in 2001, with what I believe were about 256 levels.... Is not a show stopper, you will get less subtle differences in light painting, but that's it.  Also, this can be countered by touching well the tablet pressure curves, in the apps and in the wacom driver panel.

- No eraser button. But i don't use that button, a hotkey or side button was always faster for me than flipping constantly the pen.

- 133 rps, slow tracking... this could be more of an issue, 

- low resolution (but anyways, it could enough, still much higher than what I used in 2001) , 2540 lpi instead of the usual 5k.

- no wireless (but I hate wireless  :D )

- etc

Overall, a good tablet on the cheap. But is still around 100 $. And yep, between this and the wacom small, this would be a winner. Unless the focus is Photography only -if so, you might be fine with the Small-. between this and  the small, I'd go for this. But for same price, 100 bucks, you have the above mentioned Deco 03.

This model seems to be an old one. The current being sold is the 672.  Also, seems is sold in India, where they made 3 categories, this is a cheaper, lower gamma than an Intuos.  I don't find the One gamma at the other countries' sites and shops. You can get the 671 in Amazon global, at 100 $. Actually, the 672 , too, at 100 bucks as well :)

It has twice the levels of the Graphire, actually, that one had 512 levels. 

I would get the 672, though. It has 2048 levels of pressure, 

I'm surprised this thing comes with nibs replacements and a nib removal.  

Being from Wacom, and medium size, yep, I guess this thing should work well... But the Deco 03 has a lot more better specs, and the 3 seems to cost the same in Amazon, as new, 100 bucks....

comparison with the 672 :

- Deco 03 active area (actually the real drawing size)  254 mm x 142,7 mm

- 672 active area : 216.0 x 135.0 mm

- RPS (reports per second, important for tracking/lag) Deco 03: 233 rps

- 672 : 133 rps

- Resolution: Deco 03, 5080 lpi

- 672 : 2540 lpi

- Pressure sensitivity : Deco 03, whopping 8192

- 672 :  2048 levels (still , way enough ! ) 

- Brand name in tested durability for a bunch of years, Wacom wins by K.O. For only Photo retouch, and if you want to play very very safe, then maybe go with wacom (yet though, the surface of the Deco might be  harder to scratch, and the Deco 03 has passed a lot of labs tests and certifications....  But, with these specifications, the XP-Pen Deco 03 is a total winner.... I'd go for it if my Intuos Pro would break suddenly... I mean, as an illustrator, those specs are too important for the apps that we are having today.

I might be wrong, but I am suspecting the 671/672 are the actual bamboos models, seeing a second life....

Edit: both are good tablets. I'd go RATHER for one of these (672), which are medium size, much better than a current Intuos SMALL size (= price than 672 at Amazon, new). Unless it is only for photo retouch and/or pixel art. If so, any Small size can do.

firstdefence

I couldn't see anything in your last post.

11 hours ago, firstdefence said:

The cable niggle is absolutely not a deal breaker, I don't regret buying this tablet for a second, its a great bit of kit, but I think a simple stick on clip to hold it flat to the work surface would be a nice touch.

I'm on a Windows machine. Could that be it?

All your other posts have been fine (and super interesting, of course!).

R

Affinity Designer & Photo  :  Win 10

3 hours ago, Roger C said:

I don't think so, The video is a animated Gif as I pretty much always make! I can upload it as MP4 if you wish.

Oh the irony...

My Wacom grip pen has just given up the ghost - after 7 years. It's working but there's a lot of travel when I press on the nib. To be honest, it's been a bit flakey for the past couple of years but I've always managed to fix/tighten it. This probably happened because I posted some advice on a forum about pens and tablets.

I've sourced a replacement - coming tomorrow - so another criteria for choosing a tablet might be the availability of spare parts!

Arrrrrghhhhh.

...and total price. Something is not considered often, is that when these things happen, and they happen sooner or later, if one is used to a cheaper device, a pen-tablet, and has all workflows built upon it, using an Intuos/Pro/deco03, etc... those are relatively cheap to replace at a given time... if you are not trained in that (pen-tablets with its hand-eye-screen coordination.), and only can really do stuff with a cintiq 27 (or even 24), then improvising 2 or 3 k is not as easy as 100-500 bucks.... Is why I see lately pen-tablets not just better than pen-displays for ergonomics, allowing more flexibility for having a really pro monitor, but also as more "sustainable", specially for a freelancer, as a hobbyist can sort of be ok with no replacement of the digital tool for drawing for a full month... a full time freelancer is lost if this happens suddenly and can't put together  those 2 or 3k fast.

Edited by SrPx
Typos/wording

5 hours ago, Roger C said:

If it's easily done, then yes. But not if it's a bother.

I don't know why the video(Gif) wasn't recognised. That hasn't happened before.

R

No Bother at all, try this Roger this is an MP4

1 hour ago, SrPx said:

...and total price. Something is not considered often, is that when these things happen, and they happen sooner or later, if one is used to, and has all workflows build upon it, using a Intuos/Pro/deco03, etc... those are relatively cheap to replace at a given time... if you are not trained in that (pen-tablets with its hand-eye-screen coordination.), and only can really do stuff with a cintiq 27 (or even 24), then improvising 2 or 3 k is not as easy as 100-500 bucks.... Is why I see lately pen-tablets not just better than pen-displays for ergonomics, allowing more flexibility for a really pro monitor, but also as more "sustainable", specially for a freelancer, as a hobbyists can sort of be ok with no replace of the digital tool for drawing... a full time freelancer is lost if this happens suddenly and can't put together  those 2 or 3k.

I always have a jar that I put spare change into or just money in my pocket, it's surprising how quickly it mounts up over a couple of years and you generally have more than enough to replace. I generally have a 2-3 year replacement cycle now so that I get a reasonable return on the older gear and get the latest tech without shelling out the full amount, oh! and much to my partners dismay I always save boxes lol!

7 hours ago, firstdefence said:
10 hours ago, Roger C said:

I don't think so, The video is a animated Gif as I pretty much always make! I can upload it as MP4 if you wish.

It's fine here on my Windows 10 laptop. (Tested in Vivaldi and MS Edge.)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)