You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why is afphoto file so massive when saved?

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, blue_heron said:

Simple files with one background layer and some adjustments become HUGE

What helps is the use of (white) rectangles above each layer, sometimes to delete one afterwards, for example.

And perhaps this.

“Save With History” is off?

“Simple files” with what dimensions?

“HUGE” means exactly what?

• 2 weeks later...

You have to remember that the size of even simple Affinity Photo files were made 4 to 10 times larger with version 1.7 when compared to version 1.6 as a result of last minute file format changes required by Affinity Publisher. Serif does not consider the afphoto file format suitable for longterm storage so file size is not something they are concerned about.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/87912-170380-huge-file-size-when-saving-16-image/&do=findComment&comment=527169

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.2 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

1 minute ago, Granddaddy said:

You have to remember that the size of even simple Affinity Photo files were made 4 to 10 times larger with version 1.7 when compared to version 1.6 as a result of last minute file format changes required by Affinity Publisher. Serif does not consider the afphoto file format suitable for longterm storage so file size is not something they are concerned about.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/87912-170380-huge-file-size-when-saving-16-image/&do=findComment&comment=527169

You have misinterpreted that post, again, Granddaddy.

@Mark Ingram was referring to a specific situation, "The example of loading a jpeg and either saving as-is, or making minor edits" which is why he concluded with "in this instance".

We discussed that before, and he supplied a follow-on comment.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I was amazed at one post that Affinity does not recommend working from external drive.  I believe a lot of Mac users, purchasing new iMac or Mac Pro, buy smaller internal SSD (cost) and buy 1 or 2 TB external drive.  The same applies to RAM, 8 GB Apple and update from online.  As the post did not say this is a bug, is Affinity working on external hard drive processes? 

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

1 hour ago, Cecil said:

I was amazed at one post that Affinity does not recommend working from external drive.

Well external drives here probably meant more in the sense of cloud & net based drives, which can easilier lose their filesystem connection and often don't offer a continiously stable read/write speed throughput.

1 hour ago, Cecil said:

I believe a lot of Mac users, purchasing new iMac or Mac Pro, buy smaller internal SSD (cost) and buy 1 or 2 TB external drive.  The same applies to RAM, 8 GB Apple and update from online.

No need to ask, due to their price politics here for sure. - Though the bad nowadays, mostly everything that was once user changable (RAM, storage) is today firmly glued on MoBos, so internal upgrade chances are from startup often limited to non-existent.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 minute ago, Oval said:

Is not a reason.

I really don’t understand “Is not a reason?”  A reason for what?  If it is not advised to work from external drives and you depend, for cost reasons, to purchase external SSD and if I cannot use it with AP, that is a reason for a problem to “may” occur.  Sorry if I am misreading your post.  Until, they fix AP, Apple Photos Mojave and Catalina, I just export to SSD.  As a hobby and senior citizen, I have no deadlines.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

4 minutes ago, Oval said:

Wrong.

Wrong quote, wrong info from quote, or  quote not correct?  My reason for first post was because I read the thread and later provided the quote.  I really don’t care, export works for me on my SSD, others may have problems, if afphotos file.  

Cecil 

10 minutes ago, Cecil said:

export works for me on my SSD, others may have problems

So again: Why should Affinity work on external hard drive processes? They are working to make the files smaller. At least as small as before 1.7.

Just now, Oval said:

So again: Why should Affinity work on external hard drive processes? They are working to make the files smaller. At least as small as before 1.7.

Proof is in the pudding.  I also read in thread it was not Affinity’s intention for users to long term maintain afphotos files.  Please enjoy your night, not my fight for or against.  

Cecil 

As things stand now, the important thing is to ensure that the connection to the drive where the document file is stored is continuous (not interrupted). Obviously, that is true for internal drives, & it usually is for directly connected USB & Thunderbolt external drives, but not for network ones.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, Oval said:

Which it is in this cad, because Nilla's Photography writes the file again and again (with the same error-free length).

"cad"?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 minutes ago, Oval said:

Which is in this case, because Nilla's Photography writes the file again and again (with the same error-free length).

FWIW, one of the original key features of the Affinity apps was file serialization, chosen for performance reasons because it avoids the need to rewrite the entire file on each save. That is one of the reasons native format files are so large. So I wonder how they can work around that without a major overhaul of the code & the native format.

Affinity Photo 

27 minutes ago, R C-R said:

So I wonder how they can work around that without a major overhaul of the code & the native format.

If the file size changed on average by a factor of 3 from one to the other version, then Serif could change it again and again.