You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What's a good mouse to use with Designer?

Here are some examples of vertical mice: https://www.posturite.co.uk/ergonomic-mice/vertical-mice.html
I think I would have to use one for a couple of weeks before I knew if I could use one "properly".

In case anyone is interested, I went for the G402 in the end.
Some early notes:
* No in-box software or manual, both have to be downloaded. The mouse can be used without the software but you can't configure it without it.
* Software is a bit weird. The UI is strange and doesn't explain most of the jargon. It's nice-looking and funky but if you don't know what a "fusion engine", "heat map" or various other things are then you have to go looking for explanations elsewhere.
* The clicking sound isn't very loud, certainly not as loud as the mouse it replaced.
* Pressing the scroll-wheel and dragging (straight out of the box) does the same thing in AD as keeping SPACE pressed down and dragging, so that's useful.
* You can assign different profiles for different applications - automatically switched - but you need to know where the EXE for each application is. I've configured one button for the AD "Move Tool" and one for CTRL+0 "Zoom all" and they're quite handy so I'll keep playing around.
* The DPI switching works well but I've yet to use it in anger.

All-in-all, it looks like it could be a good mouse for AD use but, as with most things, time will tell.

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

* The DPI switching works well but I've yet to use it in anger.

:o

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

17 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Yes, I remember there could be problems if you were sharing discs between the different types of drives. An 80-track drive squeezed more onto the disc by writing a thinner track, so sometimes the coarser heads on a 40-track drive couldn’t read the data reliably.

Anything that helps you look after your tendons is a good idea, but what do you mean by a “vertical” mouse? :/

Hello dear, it is simply this:

1-

You can buy one from here https://evoluent.com/ but there are couples of vertical mouse manufacturers all around.
this one is also nice to look at ...

Edited by Arnaud Mez
added another link to help

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

@R C-R It's a bit of an archaic expression that isn't used very often these days.
As mentioned in the link given by alfred, it comes from way back when people got new weapons. The would get, for example, a new sword from the blacksmith and swing it about a bit to see how it felt in their hands. It might feel okay but they wouldn't know how it actually performed until they took it into battle: literally "using it in anger" against an enemy.
Basically it now just means: "using it in the circumstances it was designed for".

the most advanced "pointing" device I've been so near to acquire, was a kind of 3D pointer which, by hitting certain dots over a terracota -or sculpey, etc- sculpture or miniature, it'd translate that to a 3D mesh (dots connected by nurbs curves or forming polygons mesh. With some you could even draw the lines over the sculpture, which is key, as you are doing the best wires flow, the best topology for animation or texturing, in the first acquiring/scan) in the computer. Sort of a faster and more controllable "3D scan" . It helps avoiding cleaning the scan, or, more usually, just re-topologizing (is that English? Alfred, help) as we say in 3D niches, which was kind of slow back then by software, but today it does not really worth it. Plus, 3D scan has really evolved, in hardware and software. The price was the issue for me (even when back then I had strong savings).

Another super cool thing is certain gloves with which you model in front of a computer (seen only prototypes) -a principle similar to the points attached to limbs in actors' bodies, for motion capture, I believe- and it gets translated perfectly to what is being modeled in screen. Back then, I mostly was extremely slow modeling by software, like anyone who hasn't done it enough... Today am not sure it'd be a serious improve.... Yes it would be, but if it'd give just the same level of control over detailing as one gets with true terracota or sculpey... I don't think this has been reached yet, but I could be wrong.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

2 hours ago, SrPx said:

or, more usually, just re-topologizing (is that English? Alfred, help)

You know what I’m going to say, of course: it is now! LOL. :D

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

17 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

You know what I’m going to say, of course: it is now! LOL. :D

But how should it be pronounced, with a hard or soft g sound? :35_thinking: We need to decide on this now to avoid endless future debates about the proper pronunciation like for the g in gif!

(The answer for that should be a soft g like in "jif" because its inventor said that was the intent from the beginning. The debate rages on because people incorrectly assumed it was an acronym for graphics image format or graphics interchange format. Technically, that is a backronym but it doesn't matter because people are going to pronounce it which ever way seems right to them.)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

My vote is for a soft "G", like in topology (topolo-jee) and apologising (apolo-jy-zing).
P.S. I say GIF (hard "G") rather than JIF, even though I know it should be JIF. In the UK we have a cleaning product called CIF (with an "S"-sounding "C") that used to be called JIF (as it looks). So asking someone if they've got their JIF ready for the presentation could get very (un)messy.

6 minutes ago, GarryP said:

My vote is for a soft "G", like in topology (topolo-jee) and apologising (apolo-jy-zing).

I can’t imagine an “-ology” being pronounced any other way!

Alfred spacer.png

If we can't use Maureen Lipman's pronunciation of a word as the definitive pronunciation then we might as well just rip it all up and go home.
A classic advert from when adverts had real humour, and not just some bloke sitting on a plastic hippo telling us why he's sitting on a plastic hippo.

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

I hesitate to even mention it is this august, high minded group, but there are problems with soft g's when followed with the American "iz" spelling that immature, low minded folk might try to take advantage of to get a laugh. (Think about how it would sound if the first "i" was pronounced like the second one.)

I know it seems frivolous to consider such things, but that is how ridiculously over-sanitized pronunciations like "hee-lee-oh-cop-ter" entered the language.

Anyway, we need to get back to more important, on topic things, like if the plural is "mice" or "mouses." xD

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

I hesitate to even mention it is this august, high minded group

How are you pronouncing the “g” in “august” (and are you stressing the first syllable or the second one)? :P

ridiculously over-sanitized pronunciations like "hee-lee-oh-cop-ter"

I know there’s an argument for pronouncing it “hee-lee” instead of “heh-lee”, but where does the “-oh-“ come from? :/

BTW, if you’re going for the “hee-lee” pronunciation you should really say “co-pter” instead of “cop-ter”. ;)

Alfred spacer.png

Good Heaven's above! I didn't realise that mouse ownership and model type was that important - guess I'm wrong on that one.

I currently use a Logitech M220 silent mouse, works fine as far as I'm concerned. I can use it anywhere and it's not restricted to a mouse pad.

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

5 hours ago, GarryP said:

It makes sense ! I kind of apologize every time I speak or write in English....  

Would you believe me if I told you that a lot of colleagues say that word, in forums, mails, skype, etc... ? "of course it is a word, dude! "  they would reply....

We need to decide on this now to avoid endless future debates about the proper pronunciation like for the g in gif!

I don't have this problem... As I've never needed to "say" it (even if I've produced zillions...I'd avoid always jargon, would say "hey boss, I attached the 'files'"  or....'I've sent u the stuff'.....don't get me wrong, I like to be technical, but is a way of the dodo when the boss (not a golden rule, I've had bosses very tech savvy) refers to a graphic as 'that little blue thing', or, 'send me the flat chunk'....In the times we used more gif files (seems now it has a strong come back, I had my bets on an arcane, 256 color limited, less optimized for compression format to disappear , destroyed in statics by PNG (smaller sizes with same number of colors (palette based)) and APNG or MNG for animated stuff, both waaaay more advanced...go guess) I was not working with people knowing a word of English... and one would use mere Spanish or Spanglish spelling... Also because most ppl I've dealt with back in the times didn't know what was a gif, or even a jpg (ie: They didn't know the "thing", let alone its spelling) .... some have got to know what a jpg is , with the years, I blame the digital cameras... but GIF requires a level of geek that is way beyond the limits of a bunch in my usual environments.... I still remember a delicate moment at a company meeting when spelling F.A.Q. as the f word.... you know, to non English speaking people, spellings and certain meanings are not immediately connected for us, hehe.

I hope I've not created another "did the Balrogs have wings" kind of thing....

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

2 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

I know there’s an argument for pronouncing it “hee-lee” instead of “heh-lee”, but where does the “-oh-“ come from? :/

I am not sure but maybe from the military nickname "hee-low." All I know is that some people say it as a five syllable word, including the stop between the "p" & "t."

Affinity Photo 

As mentioned earlier, I've got the luck to feel most comfortable with the cheapest mice , if they are Logitech....(what I can't deal is with tiny netbook ones, or giant sized (some MS and HP), trackballs, neither with that track pad embedded in most netbooks/laptops), but one thing am thinking it'd be practical with this 65 cm wide wacom would be one of those tiny gaming keyboards, but for using in graphic design/image edit and 3D, for the shortcuts, as the wacom takes the whole table, and I have the keyboard -while drawing, which is a long time in the day- in a side, in a 45º angle. One of these little things would be useful.... I don't use the tablet buttons, I freaking need an actual keyboard... (I use tons of shortcuts to speed up)

1.600x600.jpg.c092b19b04688ec3aa75a42c1463c1fb.jpg1504027107_1(3).jpg.1af60448da6dfb0607d6665aabc2f9ef.jpg

Or even better (seems they are programmable) (but one with actual lettering, I dislike stickers...):

71GAVRp25UL._SL1001_.thumb.jpg.bc7ebefe901cdfe5ce3f4635c7c60cb8.jpg

Choosing a best mouse boils down to 2 things: 

- Personal preference
- Luck.

I have quite a many mouses but the one I like best is some cheap Aliexpress "Delog". Small, exact, great touch, with USB-cord. Unfortunately scroll wheel is faulty :-)

@R C-R In relation to whether the plural is "mice" or "mouses", there's also "meeces" to consider, as in the phrase "I hate those meeces to pieces".
@AffinityJules I think I opened a can of worms with this one. It's been interesting though. You never know what will come up next. How did we get from "what is a good mouse to use" to "how should you pronounce helicopter"?
@SrPx Please tell me that the DeLUX thing isn't also a mouse. That would be a bit too over-the-top for me, but I think it would be fun watching someone trying it.
@Fixx It seems like a lot of people who have replied actually prefer to use something that isn't fancy. Just something that gets the job done without all the extra bells and whistles. Luck, as you say, can play a huge part in getting something that's right for you personally. Maybe someone could open a "mouse lending library" so people can try before they buy.

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

@R C-R In relation to whether the plural is "mice" or "mouses", there's also "meeces" to consider, as in the phrase "I hate those meeces to pieces".

Yes, but ... if you call them that, you might put a jinx on them! :D

Alfred spacer.png

6 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Please stop making these catty remarks!

Affinity Photo 

13 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

In relation to meeces it should be jinks, just trying to be  pedantic for 1 time :D

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma