You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello!

I've searched around on the forums, but haven't found a clear answer. I'm aware you can rotate the canvas/artboard with the "Rotate Left/Rotate Right" features that move it 15 degrees but is there a smooth rotation option? I've also heard it called continuous rotation. Sorry if this has already been answered.

Yes, just don't hold the Shift Key down while the Artboard is selected and you are rotating it, you can also rotate to accurate angles using the Transform Panel.

1694780202_ScreenShot2018-06-24at08_10_40.thumb.png.71a152fd911bc25b6e4cb78d172f7adf.png

If you don't have a wheel use the up and down arrows on the keyboard

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

10 minutes ago, andreangelo said:

Hm. It didn't let me type after I @'d you. Sorry if this is silly, but how do I even select an artboard? I forgot to mention that I am in Affinity Photo, in case you were thinking that I was in Designer.

There are no Artboards in Photo

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Ah different rules, in Photo, and on Windows. If on Mac and you have a Trackpad the canvas can be rotated with Gestures but otherwise you are resigned to the rotate left or right constraints as far as I am aware.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

23 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Yes, just don't hold the Shift Key down while the Artboard is selected and you are rotating it, you can also rotate to accurate angles using the Transform Panel.

What happens for you if there is something inside the artboard ?

I lose the rotation handles but can rotate it in the Transform panel. It wont move the objects inside though

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

8 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Ah different rules, in Photo, and on Windows. If on Mac and you have a Trackpad the canvas can be rotated with Gestures but otherwise you are resigned to the rotate left or right constraints as far as I am aware.

Thanks! I'm not sure if you have any idea, but are there plans to add that to the Windows version?

Maybe @MEB can answer that one.

12 minutes ago, toltec said:

What happens for you if there is something inside the artboard ?

I lose the rotation handles but can rotate it in the Transform panel. It wont move the objects inside though

I have to select the Artboard Tool to rotate the Artboard which kind of makes sense.

Also if you send the document to be edited in Photo or open it in Photo and there are multiple Artboards it will rotate all Artboards as if it is a single canvas.