You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am trying to focus merge 4 pictures (tried with different subjects and cameras D5300 and D850)

The output file is a jumble of the content.

Example is using four marker pens.  Focus on each. Run the Merge.  Output shows 8 or more pens at various angles with none of them in focus.

Uploaded one of the pictures, but cannot upload the Jpeg even by itself ??

Mac Laptop. High Sierra 10.13.5.  Affinity 1.6.7.  Purchased.

Thanks for any help.

DSC_0952.NEF

It would help if we could see all four images, preferably as jpegs that we can see within the forum page.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Interesting...  I can upload the NEFs, but not the Jpegs I just converted them too.  (3 meg files)

I get the (There was a problem processing the uploaded file. -200) error.

Update------ I was able to attach TIFF files of the photos.

Focus merge was great in the past..  I gave a demo at a local camera club.  I was to give another demo at a second club, but something has run amok.

I use an Apple and a friend of mine has a windows 10 machine.  We both get similar exports using the same picture files.  We have used different cameras, different subject objects and operating systems.  Watched the tutorials.. looks easy enough.  

Bruce

Pens_01.tiff

Pens_02.tiff

Pens_3.tiff

Pens_merged.tiff

Pens_4.tiff

I tried Photomerging in Photoshop CC and aligned layers turned on and I got this!!

774783707_ScreenShot2018-06-26at08_23_15.thumb.png.daf4ed1b0c7e6b35a35dbb8ca488f1d7.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I'm using Photoshop as a comparison to Affinity and I'm getting poor results.

In Photoshop

• After the stack import in Photoshop (with auto align layers unchecked), If I try to align the images using Edit >  Auto Align Layers... and leave the settings at 'Auto' it knocks out tiffs 1 ,2, 3 and leaves tiff 4 i.e. the layers are there but tiff's 1, 2, and 3 are blanked, only tiff 4 exists as the image.
  • If I don't auto-align and just auto-blend I get this (see image below.)

850280449_ScreenShot2018-06-26at08_37_27.thumb.png.09d2a30222621ce742009d37d3e3aee3.png

In Affinity you can't not auto-align.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thanks for the information..

I believe these photos were manual focus from my D5300.  Obviously a contrived attempt at stacking.  I have other pics from that day, but for what ever reason I (And my friend using a win10 box) are unable to upload .jpg files ????

Many of my other pics are from a D850 using the live view screen for focus point selection. 

I certainly don't understand that spike from the side of that one photo seen in Photoshop...

Greetings all

My first attempts were all contrived in a way to present to a live group.   Failed for whatever reason.

Today I went out and took regular scene.  Nothing fancy, just an old wagon.  I had my (New) D850 do its focus merge thing.  Focused from 5 feet to infinity.  Result was 23 RAWs at about 53 meg each.  Stuck it in Affinity and chose to merge them all.  12 minutes later..  It spat out a reasonably focused picture of the wagon. Woo Hoo....  I still need to improve the way I do this...  I'm sure I didn't require all the files..  I'm new to my camera and Affinity.  Not sure where I went wrong with the Pens shots.. Perhaps DOF was to narrow leaving no overlap of focus.

Anyway.....  I think It is going to work in the real world...  Not sure how I will do the live shot presentation to the group.

My output TIFF attached

Thank you

Wagon_Stack.tiff