You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Not sure which of the dozens of tutorials you are referring to but in general the modifier keys are those on the keyboard that do not create text characters & instead modify user input, like the Shift, Control, & Alt keys.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

It's worth noting that when you select a tool, what the keys actually "modify" is displayed on the Status bar at the very bottom of the Affinity Photo window.

In this case, (for the Selection Brush) it is displaying that pressing Alt whilst dragging will Subtract from the selection, pressing Ctrl whilst dragging will snap to the edges.

mod1.jpg.d2cac738bc3fd3dac72fe6ab539c1f95.jpg

This is for the Flood Select Tool. Note that in this case, the Right Mouse button also modifies.

mod2.jpg.4cd0a34bd657006dec0392fe63f7707b.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

16 hours ago, toltec said:

It's worth noting that when you select a tool, what the keys actually "modify" is displayed on the Status bar at the very bottom of the Affinity Photo window.

In this case, (for the Selection Brush) it is displaying that pressing Alt whilst dragging will Subtract from the selection, pressing Ctrl whilst dragging will snap to the edges.

mod1.jpg.d2cac738bc3fd3dac72fe6ab539c1f95.jpg

This is for the Flood Select Tool. Note that in this case, the Right Mouse button also modifies.

mod2.jpg.4cd0a34bd657006dec0392fe63f7707b.jpg

Thanks again toltec for your advice and illustrations to show the information given to me. I want to be careful in what I say so let's start by saying how very helpful all the official tutorials are in learning AP. However, I do find the some of these videos are not as sharp as one might wish for. For instance the video on 'Refining Selections' is just one. Following your advice I viewed this video tutorial again and ralised that the important information in the Status Bar at the bottom is far from clear. To be honest, I can't read it at all. Worth a mention that I'm using a 23in monitor and have tried viewing the video in standard size from Vimeo and also full screen.

I printed off your advice as a 'screen shot' and all is very clear what you mean. I then opened one of my own photos in AP and at once I could see the Status Bar with the information you explained to me very clear indeed. It's appreciated that video does loose some qualiy when uploaded, but Vimeo is renowned for being better in this respect than YT.  Perhaps some members of this forum have noticed what I mean and can offer some explanation to us.

Thanks again. Peter

23 minutes ago, Magic Pete said:

Following your advice I viewed this video tutorial again and ralised that the important information in the Status Bar at the bottom is far from clear.

It may depend on the browser & OS you are using but with Safari on Macs, if you hover the pointer near the bottom of Vimeo videos, the play bar will appear. On the right there is a "settings" gear icon. Clicking on that pops up several 'quality' settings, so setting that to the highest resolution should help. There is also a 4 arrow icon on the far right that if clicked enters full screen mode, which should make the video as clear as possible.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks RC-R. I will mention that I’m not a stills man but am into video a great deal and most of my still photos are edited for including into a video or making slideshows using stills supplied to me. Some very old and other quite new. I went from my PC used this morning to my video PC (Win 10 and usually Chrome) this has a 27in monitor. Still the same problem.

I have made a couple of still shots taken from Affinity to illustrate the point I’m talking about I do hope they explain themselves, being the vast difference between the sharpness of the Vimeo video and the live editing of my photo. Hope I have attached these properly as I haven't done this on this forum before.  Thanks for your interest.  Pete.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1V1qFq4gEszCfDrgh5yTITzgmFxVptWjp

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13f_mNAjaWc7x6G1fe4JImNVgqgchggUX

2 hours ago, Magic Pete said:

I want to be careful in what I say so let's start by saying how very helpful all the official tutorials are in learning AP. However, I do find the some of these videos are not as sharp as one might wish for. For instance the video on 'Refining Selections' is just one. Following your advice I viewed this video tutorial again and ralised that the important information in the Status Bar at the bottom is far from clear. To be honest, I can't read it at all. Worth a mention that I'm using a 23in monitor and have tried viewing the video in standard size from Vimeo and also full screen.

A couple of comments:
(1) On my screen, watching that Vimeo video, I can clearly read the text on the status line whether I'm watching the video full-screen or not. I can't explain why you're seeing it blurred.

(2) At the point in the video where the narrator first mentions using the modifier key, that key (Alt) is shown in a box on-screen, to make it clear what key he's talking about. Thus there is no need to read that status line, anyway.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I am not sure what else I can say about the Vimeo videos, other than at full screen with the 1080p setting, on my 27" Mac the status bar text looks like this:

168592562_statusbar.png.c7571548866d5741bddcd479c0f1c11f.png

It isn't quite as clear as the text in the app itself (which is using the OS's text rendering capabilities) but it is more than clear enough for even my old eyes to read.

Affinity Photo 

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

I am not sure what else I can say about the Vimeo videos, other than at full screen with the 1080p setting, on my 27" Mac the status bar text looks like this:

168592562_statusbar.png.c7571548866d5741bddcd479c0f1c11f.png

It isn't quite as clear as the text in the app itself (which is using the OS's text rendering capabilities) but it is more than clear enough for even my old eyes to read.

Well, it seems as if we are all baffled.  I noticed the little white block appear at the bottom when the speaker was explaining the proceedure, but of course I couldn't read what was written!!!!! I'm assuming you have viewed my attachments with no problem? Please don't try to convert me to a Mac!!! :). You mention your aged eyes! Well mine are VERY aged that one of the reasons I use  slightly larger monitors. I really do appreciate you all giving your thoughts on the matter. We will have to see how it goes, but I may well have to come back with other queries if, when trying to view further video, I run into the same problem.

Thanks. Pete.