You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Rectangular marquee tool forms an ellipse

I am running Affinity Photo 1.6.4.104 on Windows 10. Recently I have noticed that when I use the rectangular marquee selection tool, it draws a rectangle but when I release the mouse, it changes to an ellipse. I'm sure it didn't do this at one time and am wondering if an upgrade has caused this. The Elliptical marquee tool also forms an ellipse, so they aren't somehow reversed.

Has anyone had this problem too, and is there a cure for it?

Thanks,

Nancy

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Nancy. :)

You’ll get an elliptical selection outline if the ‘Feather’ value is large. Go to the Context toolbar and set it to zero if you want the rectangle to have sharp corners and sharp edges.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thank you. I never would have thought about that. In fact, I can't understand why I would have put a feather value in the rectangular marquee. I had one other strange setting that baffled me for quite a while too, and I wondered if there was any way that an upgrade would have changed my settings. On my paint brush, the "Wet edges" box was checked and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have done that, since I didn't know what that meant. I've been painting on a mask with 'wet edges' checked and having to go over the strokes 2-3 times to make them solid. It's always good to learn something new!

Nancy

Canada

2 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Nancy. :)

You’ll get an elliptical selection outline if the ‘Feather’ value is large. Go to the Context toolbar and set it to zero if you want the rectangle to have sharp corners and sharp edges.

That's a new one on me. You learn something every day thumbs.png.0dd587c7a46815dc883ed0e7b50468fb.png

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

8 minutes ago, toltec said:

That's a new one on me.

You’re full of surprises, you are! :o

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)