You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @espresso. :)

Which Affinity app are you using, and on what platform? Do you want a photorealistic look, or are you only interested in creating a similar pattern?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

It looks like you found the image here, right? If so, it is the result of a procedural texture applied to a 3D object. The Affinity apps do not support creating or texturing 3D objects. I think the only thing that qualifies as a procedural 2D texture available in Affinity is the Affinity Photo Perlin noise filter, which is not suitable for things like this.

But what might work for you if you have Affinity Photo is to first create a seamless texture from a suitable image, using the methods shown in this or this video tutorial, exporting it as a jpeg or png file, & then applying it as a bitmap fill to a shape. So for example, using something like this image, first crop it to include just enough to create the first repetition of the pattern, make sure it is seamless using the method in the video, & using the Gradient tool apply the exported file with the Extend or Mirror method to tile the shape with as many instances of the repeating pattern as you want.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1.3.2 on Mac, no I don't need a photorealistic look. Yes the image I think was created in SD, I've considered using SD but thought maybe a simple approach might do. The attached image doesn't show clearly enough which  is why I submitted the first one but I think some simple rings will do ...

1761818429_ScreenShot2018-06-15at19_54.03copy.png.185210bfc466435f4c744e7554c45e0d.png

14 minutes ago, espresso said:

1.3.2 on Mac

Why such an old version? You still have not said which app you are using (Photo or Designer) but both have been updated several times & 1.6.x versions are available.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

14 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Why such an old version? You still have not said which app you are using (Photo or Designer) but both have been updated several times & 1.6.x versions are available.

A search on the Interwebs suggests that the retail version of Affinity Photo jumped from 1.3.1 to 1.3.5, so 1.3.2 is almost certainly Affinity Designer,* but it would make sense for the OP to update to 1.6.x unless there’s an OS incompatibility.

____

*Cross-posted!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I've upgraded to 1.6.1, had a go with Symbol creation however it doesn't seem to overlap. I've used Photoshop before and there is a command "offset" which will wrap the canvas so whatever overlaps when offset either up / down / left /right will wrap back the opposite side.

Hope that makes sense.

Hi, espresso,

I'm having some trouble understanding what you are trying to do. I can see traces of the 1st fan design in the image of what I suppose is a knitted surface, but that seems somewhat different. Is it the fan you want, and what sort of shape are you trying to use it on? Could you just draw a loose example to show?

Assuming you want a repeatable tiling, AD handles that if you use a bitmap fill that was already designed to be repeated. The bitmap can be sized to however large or small you need, but it will be across a 2D surface. I haven't come across an auto wrap feature in AD like you describe in Photoshop, and I can only guess at what that does.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

• 4 years later...

It seems the OP question was never fully answered. Please find a designer file with the pattern below.

The shell shaped fan can be build from a circle copied 4 times, put into an compound object to mark the edges.

then add dark red and light red cobble stones.

Create a symbol, and arrange it based on the edges marked by the compound.

this is only a quick draft, far from perfect.

71EC7B20-1A2F-4A08-AD45-286E2AFF9975.png

pflaster fächer.afdesign

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

I would be tempted to do the symbol in greys and then use a pixel layer above it to add colours, use a variety of brushes. Set the pixel layer to Colour blend mode.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.