You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi all. I'm having a mare with getting photo on windows to export to jpg correctly. I'm getting a huge red cast on skin. The images are edited in Adobe rgb, converted to srgb before exporting . The first image is from photo. The second is jpg export and the third is from a On1 photoraw export ...1 and 3 are as expected yet 1 and 2 differ...help

20180623_192850.jpg

2 hours ago, DWright said:

Can you please provide me with details of the source image format and the setting that where used to export as a jpg

The original file comes in from On1 Photo Raw as a TIFF file, is edited in Affinity Photo and converted to SRGB then exported by going into the file menu and selecting export jpg. The settings keep the same document size, 100 % quality, the resampling is the second to last option (though I believe I've had issues with other resampling methods also). I've used the allow document settings for the color profile and also manunally overridden to select srgb but have similar incorrect color results.

The odd thing is that I also export to PNG for smaller web versions of the same original TIFF and the results are what they should be.

It doesn't look like a colour-cast problem as the backgrounds all look very similar.

In No 3 the editing has warmed up the subject though the middle photo is a lot warmer.

Are you absolutely sure that the On1 and Affinity Photo images have the same colour profile?

3 hours ago, jegog said:

It doesn't look like a colour-cast problem as the backgrounds all look very similar.

In No 3 the editing has warmed up the subject though the middle photo is a lot warmer.

Are you absolutely sure that the On1 and Affinity Photo images have the same colour profile?

I've checked a number of times to ensure the profiles are consistent with each programs export and they are. 

@Roger C nothing back from Affinity officially yet. I had a play with another image and exported it twice out of Photo. - One exported as Adobe RGB, the other as SRGB. The Adobe version looks more like the original when viewed through Windows 10 photo viewer, the SRGB again still exhibits the redness.

The kicker is that when I load the SRGB version back into Photo it looks correct, and some people on other windows forums have indicated that it could be an issue with Windows 10 apps not acknowledging ICC profiles, and the effect is more prevalent on wide gamut monitors. The strange thing is that On1 Photo Raw's exporting of a SRGB JPG doesnt have this issue, I realise that different programs do things differently to get the same result but it does seem a drastic difference.

That leads me on to another question.......if one supplys images to clients as jpg files who wont necessarily be using a calibrated system and may be using Windows 10. How should we export files to ensure they receive what we as photographers see

14 minutes ago, lmphotoz said:

That leads me on to another question.......if one supplys images to clients as jpg files who wont necessarily be using a calibrated system and may be using Windows 10. How should we export files to ensure they receive what we as photographers see

Quite simply—you can't! :)

All you (we) can do is calibrate and keep our fingers crossed...

It looks to me that you have the Dell profile, not your Spyder profile, set for the device. Otherwise I would expect to see the Spyder name selected for Display1 in the dropdown.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

But why, then, do you also have a Spyder profile associated with the device. The lower listing says you have two distinct profiles, the Dell and the Spyder, and it's the Dell that is in use. At least for troubleshooting purposes it would be less confusing if you switched to the profile actually named Spyder, as otherwise it's impossible to be sure which one you're really using.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

to avoid any possible issue with two profiles being presented I've deleted the unused one, rebooted the pc to ensure the profile loads correctly and have retried an export. The left is On1s export opened in Win10 Photos the right version is the equivalent Affinity Photo SRGB export. 

I think that rules out any ICC clashes 

comparison.PNG

sRGB has a smaller colour swatch compared to Adobe RGB but sRGB has a brighter colouring hence the "blushing" Wouldn't it be better to set the camera to sRGB and eliminate the Translation away from Adobe RGB to sRGB that way you fix the "blushing" in ON1 RAW or actually on the camera. Or just keep everything in Adobe RGB. and keep the image slightly muted compared to sRGB.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

34 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

sRGB has a smaller colour swatch compared to Adobe RGB but sRGB has a brighter colouring hence the "blushing" Wouldn't it be better to set the camera to sRGB and eliminate the Translation away from Adobe RGB to sRGB that way you fix the "blushing" in ON1 RAW or actually on the camera. Or just keep everything in Adobe RGB. and keep the image slightly muted compared to sRGB.

@firstdefence I perfer the wider gamut of Adobe RGB which is why my camera and subsequently On1 Raw + Affinity Photo all use this setting. The only reason for the final conversion is that when I provide digital images to clients. When I convert for web publishing or social media I use png as an export via Affinity and the colouring is spot on,  its only jpg exporting that for me at least is finiky. I guess if theres no way around I'll just need export client shots in On1 instead which, while not the end of the world, is an additional step.

When viewing the images side by side in affinity and on1 they all match so it doesnt appear to be any file generation issues.

The strangest thing for me is that this is happening when it hasnt previously with others software - case in point exporting via Photoshop Elements (before I left adobe) was perfect.

• 5 months later...