Pannonia

Copy/Paste Styles bug -> please check

I am not sure if this is a bug or if I am doing something wrong.
Copying a style from one element and pasting it to another always gives different results than the original style.

Same thing happens when I "Create Style" and then assign it to the new element.

Any ideas?

happy.jpg

Hello Pannonia,
it is not a bug.
copy your style as default, in the panel styles.
Sometimes the F1 key can be very helpful. ;)

Cheers

Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 :   Affinity Photo-Beta 1.8.0.532  :    Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 :  Affinity Designer-Beta 1.8.0.532 :

Affinity Publisher-Beta 1.8.0.531 :   Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 :    Windows 10 Pro  (Version  1909 Build 18363.592)

3 hours ago, Gnobelix said:

Hello Pannonia,
it is not a bug.
copy your style as default, in the panel styles.
Sometimes the F1 key can be very helpful. ;)

Cheers

I am sorry, I have no idea what you are trying to tell me.
Putting the styles into a different category has no effect at all.

Also, pasting the style to one object (e.g. a rectangle) might give he exact effect, while pasting it to another (e.g. Curve or Text) turns out completely wrong.
I really think this is a but, or at least inconsistent.

Upon further investigation, I am convinced that this is a bug.

"Paste Style" works on every object but text.
Even if text is converted to curves, it does not work, though it gives a different result.

Please check.

pastestyle.png

I agree that the text doesn’t look right.

As for the text converted to curves, the result is a group. You need to ungroup it before pasting the style.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iPadOS 13.3 (iPad Air 2)

1 hour ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

As for the text converted to curves, the result is a group. You need to ungroup it before pasting the style.

Ungrouping and Paste Style individually gives the same results as Paste Style to text. Still very wrong.
Also it makes no sense, why pasting to a group should be different from pasting individually?

curves.jpg

2 minutes ago, Pannonia said:

I wish you would know, or at least try things, before making false statements.
Ungrouping and Paste Style individually makes ABSOLUTELY NO difference.

curves.jpg

You clearly misunderstood my post, or you wouldn’t (falsely!) accuse me of making false statements. I wasn’t saying that text converted to curves and then ungrouped behaves correctly where unconverted text doesn’t; I was merely explaining why the “Paste Style” Result columns in your earlier post had black text instead of styled text.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iPadOS 13.3 (iPad Air 2)

Talking of grouping, I tried this and it makes no sense to me either.

Pasting Style to a group takes shadow and 3D from the style, but leaves the original colors. 
Pasing individually really copies the style.

In my understanding it should either paste the full style to a group or none at all.

grouping.jpg

6 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

You clearly misunderstood my post, or you wouldn’t (falsely!) accuse me of making false statements. I wasn’t saying that text converted to curves and then ungrouped behaves correctly where unconverted text doesn’t; I was merely explaining why the “Paste Style” Result columns in your earlier post had black text instead of styled text.

Sorry, I actually did and edited it right after.
You are correct that it behaves quite differently (see my post above), but in the case of text still wrong.

17 hours ago, Wosven said:

@Pannonia,

You need to check "Scale with object" if you want yours styles to keep same ratio, and stroke will stay at 8px, etc.

You are right.
In my examples above, it works if I check "Scale with Object" first.

So there is a solution for it, great.
I still think it's counterintuitive though.

Look at the following example.
The source-object where I defined the style is roughly the same size as the target object (text).

One would think that this makes the effects the same scale and it should work without checking the box.This holds true for any object but text.

So I still call it a bug for lack of better word.
Why is the effect different between the letter "I" and a freeform of approximately the same size?

I hope Serif finally chimes in.

scale.jpg

Hello, I can confirm that is a bug, even on Mac.

It stopped working from AD 1.5.3 (July 2016) and the issue was posted several  time here, from me and other users.

As icon pack creator I need to apply the same FX/style to thousand icons and is very time wasting fixing every styles values for each layer/icon.

I started my new iconpack with Sketch, I hate it but I have no choice, sorry.

I apologize for my bad English, I hope you understand what I try to tell you.

Hi Pannonia,
Yes, we do monitor these forums. Sorry the delay getting back to you and thanks for your feedback/report. We are already aware of these bugs/issues. We have them logged and assigned to a developer to be looked at/revised but there wasn't yet time to make progress here. The dev teams have been/are quite busy working on other things at the moment. As you may guess they have quite a huge list of things/improvements to go through. Please bear with us. We are working as fast as possible to address user's issues and still move on with the development plans.

I've bumped our report and added a link back to this thread for reference.

And when did you post your issue?

I guess you wanted it to be addressed yesterday

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Win10(1909)Home / Photo / Designer / Publisher & latest (beta) versions

47 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Pannonia,
Yes, we do monitor these forums. Sorry the delay getting back to you and thanks for your feedback/report. We are already aware of these bugs/issues. We have them logged and assigned to a developer to be looked at/revised but there wasn't yet time to make progress here. The dev teams have been/are quite busy working on other things at the moment. As you may guess they have quite a huge list of things/improvements to go through. Please bear with us. We are working as fast as possible to address user's issues and still move on with the development plans.

I've bumped our report and added a link back to this thread for reference.

I don't expect you to fix everything in a minute, only acknowledgement of the issue.
There should always be time for that.

"We've read it, it's being worked on" is all I ever ask of you.
Silence and ignorance just drive me mad.

I work as an unpaid tester for you, please show me at least the respect of a timely answer.
Surely you can see that I put some time and work into reporting this?

To the trolls who felt the need to chime in:
GET A LIFE!

P.S.: Requesting a block function for members.

Also, I am surprised of the censorship around here.
Comments and posts disappear without any notice or explanation.

REALLY bad style Serif!

And IF you must delete comments, please do so with what Wosven anf hakkoo have vomitted above, thank you!

8 minutes ago, Pannonia said:

Also, I am surprised of the censorship around here.
Comments and posts disappear without any notice or explanation.

REALLY bad style Serif!

And IF you must delete comments, please do so with what Wosven anf hakkoo have vomitted above, thank you!

You were given an explanation through private message your response of mostly swearwords has not helped your situation, I was willing to let bygones be bygones but I have unfortunately had to serve you with a warning as a result. 

Good morning, just to point out that this bug was reported in June 2016 and many other times later, and  that it is a fundamental function. 

I stopped reporting more than a year ago, it has always proved useless.

You say they are involved in other projects, so I guess it will not be fixed. 

Thank you.

Have a great weekend.

To be fair... MEB did say..

'Hi leonerdo,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This issue is logged and assigned but wasn't possible to fix it yet. Please bear with us while we work on it. We have a relatively small dev team already doing their best.

Thank for your support.'....

As in any product development fixes, bugs and new features are managed by the Dev. Team  and they set their timetable based on internal priorities and other constraints..

Enjoy.

P

And that's why I have not reported the bug since the last time. I have always been polite and kind. I did not want to make a drama, but you have to try to think that I had to do a hundred icons a week for 3 different iconpacks, each with more than 3000 icons made them in the last 2 years, having to adjust all the values of the styles for each level of each icon. I had to start my new iconpack with Sketch that I do not like,  but I have no choice. AD is on another level, I supported from the start, I bought AD, AP, ADbook, APipad, all available paid pencil packs, and I would like to go back to using them.

Have a nice weekend.