DocPatock

Ugly looking PNGs

I have a png. If I open this png in let's say irfanview it looks like the attached picture 'SampleIrfan.png'. If I open this in Affinity-Photo it looks like the attached 'sampleAffinity.png'.

After some tries I realized that if I open the png with paint.net it looks the same as in Affinity, so I think it's a windows-feature/bug.

Please help

sampleAffinity.pngSampleAffinity

SampleIrfan.pngSampleIrfan

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @DocPatock. :)

This looks like an image resolution problem. Since IrfanView is a Windows program, it can’t be completely explained away as a Windows feature/bug!

If I understand correctly, you’ve posted screenshots of the image as it appears when opened in Affinity Photo and IrfanView. Can you share the original PNG image here?

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iPadOS 13.2.2 (iPad Air 2)

Doesn't help you much, but just wanted to say that the PNG looks fine in my copy of Photo on Win7.

Also looks fine in Faststone Image Viewer and Windows Paint!

Hope others can shed some light.

Win7 Ultimate x64   |   i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz   |   16 GB RAM   |   120 GB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 660 Ti   |   Huion 1060 Plus

How I make GIFs >>> ScreenToGIF (Windows only, Open Source, Portable, ~600kB)

Perhaps worth updating / reinstalling your graphics drivers on the affected machine?

Win7 Ultimate x64   |   i5-3570K @ 3.4GHz   |   16 GB RAM   |   120 GB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 660 Ti   |   Huion 1060 Plus

How I make GIFs >>> ScreenToGIF (Windows only, Open Source, Portable, ~600kB)

I cannot explain why, but here too it looks fine on all my graphics programs, including Affinity.

Window 10 - 16 Gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

2 things :

1) This case wouldn't match with some of the details explained, but for the looks of the pic... Be sure that you are not exporting sometimes as PNG indexed colors (would force terrible aliasing at reduced sizes). Or somehow forcing the viewer to see it as an indexed color image. (ie: Ensure your export is PNG 24 (or higher if you need it))

2) Irfan has a shortkey and setting you might have changed in some machines, and not on other ones. Please check that you have at Irfan's Menu View / Dsiplay options (Window Mode) / the following features as CHECKED :

- Use resample for fitting 

- Use resample for zooming

And in general Properties Settings (Menu Options / Property settings), at Full Screen/ slidshow options,  be sure to set :

- Use resample for first display of an image

- Use resample  function for zooming

Number 2 would totally match with: Seeing it fine at your sister's comp, but not in yours. And also, that opening in Paint.net is seen well. 

Let's see if is it what's happening...

Edit: In any case, want to leave something clear : This is not a problem, is a feature, in Irfan. We pixel artists love to be able to see pixel art without atempts to smooth the lines. While it is an issue for ppl not aware of the setting, when displaying photos or other stuff.  Really, it looks like one of the 2 things : aliased display, or exported or displaying at less color depth... (ie, exported as PNG indexed, or, in the final viewer, seeing it in a smaller color depth ). About the resample view mode in irfanview, you can change the settings on the fly depending on if you are checking pixel art or photos, etc.

Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo licenses, Windows 7, i7  860 (2009) 2.8 GHz,  8 GB RAM, GTX 1050 2 GB, HD 7200 RPM.  Wacom Intuos 4 XL.

It used to be a common bug in graphics applications. Some applications used to force the first and second palette indexes for PNG to black and white. When PNGs were a new thing, I remember seeing this problem a few times.