You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"Don't export layers hidden by Export persona"

When you choose File/Export you get a dialog box.  You can choose various things, then you see a box that you can tick (or not) with these words 'Don't export layers hidden by Export persona'.  

I have watched the official 'Exporting' Tutorial by James Ritson.  Likewise, I have watched two tutorials on the subject by Lynda.com.  None of these three videos try to explain what this means, or even tick or untick it.   Now by Export persona - I presume that means exactly what it says and refers to that particular persona?  So I would guess that unless you use the Export persona, you can safely ignore the option.   

What does the box mean please?

Jafa - Just Another Fantastic Aucklander

(Jim)

Windows 11

Affinity Photo 2.4

Lightroom 6

Nik Collection and Topaz Denoise AI

Intel Core i7 9700K @ 3.60GHz    32 °C
Coffee Lake 14nm Technology

General settings

The following general settings can be adjusted from the Export dialog:

• Format—select the format thumbnail for your exported file. Export formats include PNG, JPEG, GIF, TIFF, PSD, PDF, SVG, EPS, EXR and HDR.
  • Preset—sets predefined export options for the selected file format. Select from the pop-up menu.
    As well as the default application presets, this pop-up menu can contain custom presets.
  • Area—instead of exporting the Whole document, you can either export any document artboards or the currently selected object. For the latter you can export an object with or without its background using the Selection with background or Selection without background options.
    To export drawn slices or specific layers, use Export Persona.
  • Don't export layers hidden by Export persona—when selected, layers which have been hidden while in Export persona are excluded from the exported file even if they display on the page. If this option is off, all objects on the page (which are within the Area selected above) will be exported regardless of whether they are hidden in Export persona.
  • More—accesses advanced settings for the chosen file format. For more information on these settings, see the Export Options panel topic.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Hi firstdefence - rather than regurgitating what you have found in some explanatory vehicle,  an elucidation would be much more helpful.  Thanks for the effort! 

In other words, if you, or I, knew what the hell this meant, then I would not have asked the question in the first place!  :-(

(Jim)

Windows 11

Affinity Photo 2.4

Lightroom 6

• Staff

Hi Jaffa,

As firstdefence posted and also highlighted in red:

'Don't export layers hidden by Export persona—when selected, layers which have been hidden while in Export persona are excluded from the exported file even if they display on the page. If this option is off, all objects on the page (which are within the Area selected above) will be exported regardless of whether they are hidden in Export persona.'

So if you hide a layer in the Export Persona and have that option enabled, that layer will not be exported.  If you hide a layer in the Export Persona and don't have the option enabled, then it would be exported.

Hope that clears it up

1 hour ago, Jaffa said:

Hi firstdefence - rather than regurgitating what you have found in some explanatory vehicle,  an elucidation would be much more helpful.  Thanks for the effort! 

In other words, if you, or I, knew what the hell this meant, then I would not have asked the question in the first place!  :-(

If you take a document with 3 objects

03.jpg.a214fe5e2558608e9f89e9c5aa99bed5.jpg

and hide one layer in the Export Persona

hide.jpg.48811e2ae4c174f43451709e2fb41c7a.jpg

02.jpg.fc32df1946968dcd57e434ea7e883773.jpg

If you output with "Don't export layers hidden by Export persona" ticked"

unt.jpg.1f7cfbdc60a840dc3fb354cac2e28ce0.jpg

You get this when exported.

If "Don't export layers hidden by Export persona" is unticked

ut.jpg.a9c9f6e6b1e2af8e4e5fb47903557e94.jpg

You get this

03.jpg.a214fe5e2558608e9f89e9c5aa99bed5.jpg

Even if it is hidden in the layers panel.

hide.jpg.48811e2ae4c174f43451709e2fb41c7a.jpg

Basically, if unticked, it ignores the fact you hid the layer in the layers panel and outputs it anyway.

A bit like telling a child "don't touch that". They will anyway 9_9

P.S. This has absolutely nothing to do with slices, even although it is in the Export Persona.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Hi toltec, so a document with 3 objects is purely an Export persona 'conception'?   It has nothing to do with, say, three or more, layers in Photo persona? So if, one or more, layers is hidden in Photo persona, that is of no relevance in this decision?

(Jim)

Windows 11

Affinity Photo 2.4

Lightroom 6

5 minutes ago, Jaffa said:

Hi toltec, so a document with 3 objects is purely an Export persona 'conception'?   It has nothing to do with, say, three or more, layers in Photo persona? So if, one or more, layers is hidden in Photo persona, that is of no relevance in this decision?

Not 100% sure what you mean. They are the same layers and the same document.

If you hide something in the Photo Persona, it is definitely hidden in the Export Persona and wont output, although you can retrieve it (make it visible) using the buttons on the layer in the Export Persona.

If you hide it in the Export Persona, it is still visible in the Photo Persona, but wont output if "Don't export layers hidden by Export persona" is ticked". Which might lead to a bit of head scratching which is why it is unticked by default, I guess.

Like a lot of options, somebody will find a use for it.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

@Jaffa You are over-complicating something that is in essence a very simple thing. You can create any amount of layers and turn them off or on at your leisure to extract a desired result.

As an example, you have a logo and that logo will have a different slogan depending on whether it is on a van, truck, car, plane or a helicopter. You can have each of the slogans on 5 different layers and all of the slogans can be sited in the same position. In all other ways the logo is the same. To produce each logo for each vehicle you would turn off (Hide) all the other slogans and leave the slogan meant for the vehicle of your choosing. You can turn the slogans off (hide) in Photo Persona or In the Export Persona on the Layers Panel in both Persona's.

All slogans occupy the same location.

256069490_ScreenShot2018-06-22at19_41_16.png.d204ecd200ddfd5601594797f485f145.png

Slogan for car active, all other slogans are hidden.

1918658822_ScreenShot2018-06-22at19_40_50.png.36905fed6ad0c3e90db2635f6ef3a964.png

atoz.afphoto

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions