You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey Folks!

LOVE the product! I tried a forum search and didn't see anything,  so forgive me if it's been requested already, but can we can get an option to preview LUTs before applying?

As is, implementing a LUT (eg. from cloud storage) just gives me a file name to choose and apply. If I don't like it, I have to redo the process (And try to remember the list of obscure filenames that I've previously tried!) I have no idea what 'Portra 160' looks like, nor if it's going to fit with my image. But if I can see it, I'll know if it works or not.

Maybe a similar implementation to LUT's as in Capture One? Where you hover over a LUT name and it's visually applied to the image, then you can either scroll to another option and the image updates in real time, or you can click the selection to finalise the application. Obviously, it would require remapping 'clicks' to touches, or multiple touches or whatever, but I leave that up to you wizards!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Greg,

Once you have imported your LUT, you can simply click on the plus icon on the menu bar which appears at the bottom of the screen, the simply give it a name and it will then permanently appear in the list of LUTs, showing a preview box.

Hope that helps.

High-End Photographic Prints

43 minutes ago, DesignMeister said:

Greg,

Once you have imported your LUT, you can simply click on the plus icon on the menu bar which appears at the bottom of the screen, the simply give it a name and it will then permanently appear in the list of LUTs, showing a preview box.

Hope that helps.

Hey DesignMeister!

Thanks for the tip! I do have a question (And I freely admit that I'm only 1 cup of coffee in, so my synapses aren't quite firing at the required rate yet) After I load a LUT, give it a name and save it, the LUT icon in the adjustments browser takes on the appearance of the image, which is great! But...where did Affinity save that preset? If I now delete that adjustment layer and try to implement that same process again... I don't see the 'Preset' I just made.

Ideally (and again, I'm just spitballing here) I'm looking for a rapid, visually representative way, of previewing a LUT's potential affect on my image. Something viable when your LUT options are in the 100s.

Blackmagic has recently (thank goodness) implemented a version of this in Resolve 15. Theo from Miesner Media does a quick walkthrough of it below. What I like about their implementation is the LUT icons give you a 'Default' representation of the LUT's colour feel on a human skin tone, and yet you still have the ability to replace that default icon with an image from you project, or revert back to the default with a button click. Granted, I'm aware that we're talking DaVinci Resolve -VS- an iPad app, but hey, a man can dream.

Capture One Pro 11's implementation is also very useful (And fast!). I use it daily:

Very strange. I just tried it and my installed LUTs were still there after I deleted the adjustment layer. Depending on the amount or RAM your iPad has, you may just have to wait for the preview image to appear.

I have no idea where Affinity Photo stores the LUT information which describes each LUT, you would have to ask the developers that.

Sorry I couldn’t help any further.

High-End Photographic Prints

2 minutes ago, DesignMeister said:

Very strange. I just tried it and my installed LUTs were still there after I deleted the adjustment layer. Depending on the amount or RAM your iPad has, you may just have to wait for the preview image to appear.

I have no idea where Affinity Photo stores the LUT information which describes each LUT, you would have to ask the developers that.

Sorry I couldn’t help any further.

Odds are I'm just doing it wrong. (I'm going to blame my low coffee levels). I'm on the 12" iPad Pro, so it should be just fine.

I'll take another look. Thanks!