le_vinsky

AD doesn't properly handle files open form network locations

Today I lost a couple of hours of work (again!) due to AD's inability to properly handle problems when working on files opened form remote location. This behavior is unfortunately consistent and It has happened to me numerous times before.

I store and open files from my NAS. I do not download them to my computer. I open them directly from remote location. Unfortunately, sometimes when I try to save the file and AD decides to be unable to save the file, instead of offering to for example to save it locally, AD only says that the file has to be closed.

First of all it's strange that AD cannot access remote location because, using Windows File Explorer, I can access it with no problem. Even directly after AD fails to save it.

And then it's an epic failure if, instead of keeping the file open and maybe offering to save it manually to a different location, AD chooses to close the file when I try to save  it. It could just display an error message instead and allow me to save my file!!!

I've lost my work!
Please make AD handle files open from remote locations properly ASAP!

Thank you.

Hey le_vinsky, welcome to the Affinity Forums.

I will pass your feedback on. You are probably already aware that the developers do not recommend saving directly to a network drive without saving locally. I get the impression your post is to give us a bit of a kick as opposed to asking for a workaround/solution—which is fine! 

There are a lot of users who have raised this and it would be great if we could look at managing this better in the future but there's not a lot I can suggest in the meantime :/ 

17 hours ago, le_vinsky said:

And then it's an epic failure if, instead of keeping the file open and maybe offering to save it manually to a different location, AD chooses to close the file when I try to save  it. It could just display an error message instead and allow me to save my file!!!

The reason it cant save the file to a different location is because Affinity only loads part of the file into memory at any one time, so without access to your NAS drive affinity cant load the rest of the file in order to save it elsewhere.

Maybe what is needed is when Affinity detects a file is being loaded from a NAS drive (etc) it copies the entire file as a temp file to your local drive and works on that and when you save it it automatically saves it back to the NAS drive.  It would be slower opening the file initially but maybe a bit faster in on-going operations if your local drive (SSD?) is faster than your NAS drive

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be concerned about.

Thank you for your replies. I wasn't aware I got any, because I didn't get any notification via e-mail. Maybe I should check my forum settings?

Back to the point, anyway.

So it happened AGAIN.

"Access to the file was lost". Annnd AD closes the file in a hurry and work is gone. This time I explicitly checked if network location is accessible a moment before I tried to save the file. And it was.

@carl123 - so you say AD caches just a part of the file in the memory? You must know what you say, but you know what? Files I work on occupy respectively 12 and 65 KILOBYTES on my NAS (they are just some simple technical drawings). So I'm not really tasking AD with anything particularly heavy. Something is very wrong if AD fails to handle files this small.

Strategy you suggest seems to be much more sensible even with much larger files. I fully appreciate and love performance of AD compared to, say Illustrator. But sacrificing reliability to make AD work faster is a VERY BAD IDEA that makes me wish I was working in a resource hog that Illustrator is and NOT loose my work/time.

I wan't AD to succeed and to be a serious Illustrator alternative. Please, please, please make this nasty surprise disappear.
(Oh, and making snapping less basic would be welcome too)