You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD - Image color info? Convert RGB images to CMYK?

Corel Draw has several useful features that I cannot find in Affinity Designer. Am I just missing them?

• When you click on an image, in Corel Draw you get information about the image, including the color profile, size and dimensions. The color profile is particularly important when trying to locate all the RGB images in a document, for example.
  • Corel Draw allows the user to convert the color profile of an image in the document on the fly, from RGB to CMYK or vice versa. Does Designer have this feature?
  • If you double-click on an image in Corel Draw, it will open in Corel Paint, allowing for quick image editing. However, it appears you can only open the whole document in Affinity Photo (when you have both, as I do). Am I missing something?
  • In Corel Draw, you can use search or search and replace to find objects, colors, color profiles, font styles, as well as text. Very, very useful.

These are very useful features. Any help with finding these features in Affinity Designer, if they are there, would be appreciated. I have moved from Windows to Mac, so Corel Draw is not a good option for me any longer. 

a) Menu File\Document Setup (Ctrl + Shift + P)
2018-06-21_231700.png.afc64626c590c66fc2761c722ecbe4a0.png

b) Menu File\Document Setup + Tab Colour
2018-06-21_231727.png.1fd07c34bf8dff84b7a64276e44ebfa3.png

Change Colour Profile or Colour Format (RGB to CMYK).

"on the fly, from RGB to CMYK or vice versa"
It is sensible? Every changing the format may cause color degradation.

c) Pixel Persona
2018-06-21_232136.png.e4af290d67afb86bd651c72e87b5e468.png

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• Staff
11 hours ago, whitewolf7070 said:

Corel Draw has several useful features that I cannot find in Affinity Designer. Am I just missing them?

• When you click on an image, in Corel Draw you get information about the image, including the color profile, size and dimensions. The color profile is particularly important when trying to locate all the RGB images in a document, for example.
  • Corel Draw allows the user to convert the color profile of an image in the document on the fly, from RGB to CMYK or vice versa. Does Designer have this feature?
  • If you double-click on an image in Corel Draw, it will open in Corel Paint, allowing for quick image editing. However, it appears you can only open the whole document in Affinity Photo (when you have both, as I do). Am I missing something?
  • In Corel Draw, you can use search or search and replace to find objects, colors, color profiles, font styles, as well as text. Very, very useful.

These are very useful features. Any help with finding these features in Affinity Designer, if they are there, would be appreciated. I have moved from Windows to Mac, so Corel Draw is not a good option for me any longer. 

Hi @whitewolf7070,

Welcome to the forums.

• If you want to get the info, you have to bring up the info panel : View > Studio > Info
  • You can convert a profile by going to Document > Convert ICC ...
  • Not sure what you mean by this "quick image editing". 
  • You can only search for colours in the "Swatches" panel. 
Thanks,
Gabe. 

• Staff

Hi whitewolf7070,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Regarding the third question: If you double-click on an image in Corel Draw, it will open in Corel Paint, allowing for quick image editing. However, it appears you can only open the whole document in Affinity Photo (when you have both, as I do). Am I missing something?

No, you haven't missing anything. Currently you have to send the whole document to Affinity Photo.

16 hours ago, whitewolf7070 said:

If all you want to do is "Quick image editing" is the Pixel Persona not good enough ? Just click on the Pixel Persona button.

I know that Photo is more comprehensive but the Photo Persona in Designer is quite good and it is actually easier to crop an image in Designer using the Vector Crop tool

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.