You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Greetings everyone!

I just purchased Affinity Designer yesterday and I'm slowly learning how to use it. I do have a specific set of questions though. I've searched the internet high and low for the answer and I'm just not finding anything specific to the artwork I want to do. I love the comic/anime style of art however I'm trying to translate that to AD since I would like to incorporate the vector style. 

Right now I'm experimenting on the image I have included. I have a general idea of the line arts composition but not sure how to go about it with AD. I've started with the hair but I'm not sure if I should do each curve separate, or do the bangs in one go? I want to mimic the style in the image as close as possible. All the line art videos I've been able to dig up show different styles and much simpler drawings. 

Any help getting me started would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to reading your comments. 

Thank in advance!

yande.re 460299 sample arcueid_brunestud harukon_(halcon) sweater tsukihime.jpg

• Staff

Hi Comanche Sam,

Welcome to the forume

I would try your best to picture the image as the shapes it is made up of. This takes a long time to get used to however for me at least, I have been working here for 5 years and only recently have I gotten better at trying to do it. A good way to learn is to trace over the image and block it out into individual shapes and look at how to arrange them to get the image and perspective you want. This may sound confusing so I have done a very very rough version you can find attached below the gaps in the red are due to me rushing and messing up one of my curves and due to where I left space for the line art in her hair parting. Once you have gotten better at this you can make the individual shapes more advanced then experiment with blend modes etc for the shading on the hair for this part I recommend drawing a circle on your canvas to represent the sun so you always know what angle the light should be hitting the figure.  I hope this helps.

Edit: I will say these tips are more catered towards helping you create your own manga anime style by studying images like this.

Thanks

Callum

2105823919_yande.re460299samplearcueid_brunestudharukon_(halcon)sweatertsukihime.jpg.8bc38fe92af3393cd70a2b4a780f2cb0.afdesign

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• Staff

I would first group them into shapes then lower the opacity to say 30% then trace over them with a pressure tablet or simulated pressure strokes. This will give you full line art as opposed to just shapes. Then you can add detail as necessary.

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

20 minutes ago, ComancheSam said:

Could this also be mimicked in AD? This is about the level of detail I'm wanting to achieve.

Not to imply that I have the skill to do it myself (far from it!) but for the leaves, I would use custom brushes. Otherwise, it would take forever to draw each leaf individually.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7