You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi

I have recently purchased Affinity and delighted with it.  However as a previous Lightroom User I am missing the library /catalogue facility I get with that.  Is there a good software that works well with affinity for managing my photos so that I can catalogue and group them and sort and pull out photos based on the metadata entries in the way I can with Lightroom.

Hi, MikePerk,

I use a Mac program called "NeoFinder." There is a Windows version called abeMeda. You might want to look into that. On the Mac, it is very fast, and one can search on all the meta data, and even has a geolocation map when the data is present.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

If it is just the cataloguing facility you're missing, try Adobe Bridge.  It's free and as far as I can see it reads all adjustments I made with LR before unsubscribing.  You can rate, color code, add keywords, etc. Just no access to any adjustments.

7 minutes ago, Wosven said:

You can tedt DigiKam too, it's free and have a map option.

Last time I looked DigiKam had removed the option to use an external editor.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

On 6/21/2018 at 12:44 PM, MikePerk said:

Hi

I have recently purchased Affinity and delighted with it.  However as a previous Lightroom User I am missing the library /catalogue facility I get with that.  Is there a good software that works well with affinity for managing my photos so that I can catalogue and group them and sort and pull out photos based on the metadata entries in the way I can with Lightroom.

you may want to have a look at iMatch (single user) or Daminion (either single or multiuser) to name just two well-known DAMs.
https://www.capterra.com/digital-asset-management-software/

I am stuck with Lightroom which I do not hesitate to use but hate the idea to have pay for it untill I die) and am looking for the affinity´s DAM even though I believe it will not come out this year.

BTW, Lightroom is a pretty simple DAM (*) excelling in easy of use AND in it´s integration with it´s own development module.
Many other DAMs have more powerfull functionality comparing to Lightroom´s catalogue but lack any development module and sometimes even good enough integration with either CC or AP. Based on your needs, either the Lightroom or the "pure-DAM" approach may be better for you.

* speaking for me: no scripting; rather limited file types (not even PSB!); extremly slow when performing 2 or more concurent tasks; no catalogue sync between 2 computers; no accidental delete protection, ... 

Go tell us what you have opted for (once done with it), I am curious

regards

Juraj

• 1 month later...

I have worked with Lightroom 5 for years and love it. However, I am more and more resentful that Adobe does not allow me to make my own decision about whether to use a stand-alone program or pay a monthly fee for a program which is supported and updated regularly. I prefer stand alone as I am often off line for months at a time. Why pay for something I can't use? Also don't want my stuff in the Cloud, especially when I can't access it. 

I love Affinity Photo and  hope and pray that Affinity will be able to provide a program or upgrade that will be able to import my 15,000 photos from Lightroom with keywords intact. Although I enjoy Lightroom's develop features, I can do without as Affinity does pretty much the same work and sometimes better. 

• 2 years later...

Just wondered if there were any recent changes in recommendations to look at for Library SW to work with Affinity. Currently a LR user but looking at getting off the subscription model, especially as I don’t use the cloud storage. Affinity looks excellent for my editing work but want a library management solution that can import all my keyword tags/catalogue from LR and allow me to continue working much the same way as I do now as far as that goes.

have looked briefly at iMatch but wondering if any more recent Ines worth a look. I am currently a Mac user so will need to run on a Mac at the moment. But not so wedded to Apple that I would rule out swapping back to Windows at some point in the future.

• 1 year later...

It's an old thread, I know, but maybe the digiKam programme is something for you?

digiKam is open source and has a large community.

Here you can get more informations: https://www.digikam.org

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!