You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Divide image equally

15 hours ago, Wosven said:

Hi  @dominik, 

When I tried this, I wasn't able to get anything but blank PNGs, sinnce the slices only export the rectangles, not the background image.

For exporting with different image's parts, I would have to copy the background in each rectangle (there's no way to dupplicate a rectangle with a clipped image and this one staying at its original place of 0,0).

Too bad. I must have overseen something. I look into it again. Sorry for the wrong information :(

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

16 hours ago, Wosven said:

When I tried this, I wasn't able to get anything but blank PNGs, sinnce the slices only export the rectangles, not the background image.

I tried various ways. You are right about the fact that the slices created from layers do not include underlying image content. I thought this works different. My bad :(

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

Thanks dominik

I have tried it but I do not get the desired result, it is also very tedious, just to divide an image, it would be helpful if you could record a mini tutorial in my case I try to make 15 horizontal stripes in one of the examples to remove wooden slats from a whole image and I am not capable, only by hand and in the end I have given up and I have, sooooo to my regret that to reinstall photoshop, between this and not being able to create completely vertical or totally straight lines, it is making me lose a lot of time the workflow that the program offers me in that sense.

I hope you listen or rather read what we are talking about because they are nonsense that I do not think it costs anything to implement and that many of us use.

@owenr ,

I'll try again on a desktop computer with a mouse and keyboard, since I couldn't manage shortcuts and dragging with a touchpad, and "lock children" didn't seems to work (but I'm clumsy with a touchpad).

I find the export persona really usefull and interesting, but it needs more features, and perhaps we should work on a list of ideas like :

• Slices from guides
  • Slices for _a_ rows and _b_ columns
  • Dupplicate slices
  • Alignment for slices
  • Easy renaming of slices

@dominik @Txamo Unfortunately the lack of ability to export a slice with its background seems to have been around for a long time. See this post from 2015!

What I have deduced from the help file (which is pretty sparse on this subject to be honest) and experimentation…

•  File > Export explicitly give the option to include or exclude the background.
  • Manually drawing a slice with the Slice Tool is called a "Slice" and exports the background.
  • Automatically creating a slice from an object with Create Slice button is called a "Slice (from item)" and does not export the background.

In addition to other suggestions in this thread, it would be advantageous to add a toggle to "Slice (from item)" that allows export including the background.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

@Aammppaa,

Export persona is thought for web/UI, and in this context rectangles, etc.  are buttons/parts you want to export without background.

But this behavior should be an option, since being able to export projects with different colors but same background, for example, is very usefull (not having to make visible/hidden parts of the project before exporting).

Thanks to all, I hope that in Affinity they pay attention to all this that is being discussed as a result of what we are talking about and they have it in mind, although what I am seeing this is something that takes time and has not been put on yet. remedy.

This together with several things make me have to stop using Affinity Photo, constant falls of the program with simple selections, very basic things to my understanding that it lacks, sometimes tedious ways to achieve others, I expected a little more with everything good that is spoken, but at least for me it is not a tool "even" for the daily work if your flow and orders depend on using daily, unfortunately I turn to Photoshop.

Affinity gentlemen have a program that may be the best and total alternative to Photoshop but I think you have to put your batteries, I do not mean it with bad intentions but with the best of intentions, you can not allow the program to be stable or that basic things are not implemented, is my personal point of view as a user.

Thanks and I hope to return when the problems are solved and features are added to the program.

Sorry to hear this @Txamo,

But a tool should improve productivity, not the other way around.

See you next time,
Wos.

Fore those who need this feature on Windows, they can use IrfanView for exporting images in tiles: Options > Export image tiles (split image) .
(I did some tests on a desktop computer, and Lock Children behave as expected.)

2018-06-23_204537.png

2018-06-23_204217.png

10 hours ago, Aammppaa said:

What I have deduced from the help file (which is pretty sparse on this subject to be honest) and experimentation…

•  File > Export explicitly give the option to include or exclude the background.
  • Manually drawing a slice with the Slice Tool is called a "Slice" and exports the background.
  • Automatically creating a slice from an object with Create Slice button is called a "Slice (from item)" and does not export the background.

In addition to other suggestions in this thread, it would be advantageous to add a toggle to "Slice (from item)" that allows export including the background.

@Aammppaa,

that is exactly what I have found after going through the options systematically. I support the option to export including the background. I was looking in the Export Options for this (like near 'Matte') and was surprised not to find it there :)

d.

9 hours ago, Txamo said:

Thanks to all, I hope that in Affinity they pay attention to all this that is being discussed as a result of what we are talking about and they have it in mind

At least you can be sure that the people from Affinity are monitoring this forum and taking notes. No promises if or when some of the feature requests are implemented. But it is always worth a try.

Good luck with your work and hopefully until someday around here again.

d.

• 2 years later...
On 6/22/2018 at 4:00 PM, Wosven said:

Hi  @dominik, 

For exporting with different image's parts, I would have to copy the background in each rectangle (there's no way to dupplicate a rectangle with a clipped image and this one staying at its original place of 0,0).

I succeeded using affinity designer by making the grid of squares (I made a series of rows, then columns, then used the divide boolean operation), then copy-pasting the background into each to clip it.
It was a fair bit of effort, but easier than many other alternatives.

4 hours ago, Ratty said:

then used the divide boolean operation

I may not understand your workflow well, but why not use a square that is copied with Power duplicate?

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

7 hours ago, Ratty said:

I succeeded using affinity designer by making the grid of squares (I made a series of rows, then columns, then used the divide boolean operation), then copy-pasting the background into each to clip it.
It was a fair bit of effort, but easier than many other alternatives.

There is no need to paste the image into each square.

After creating the array of squares (I would use Pšenda's method because the Boolean Divide can create a mess), select all of them and use the Fill Tool (aka Gradient Tool in AP) set to Bitmap mode to fill all of them simultaneously with an image. Drag the handles of the tool to position and scale the fill as required.

• 5 months later...

As it seems to me that devs are only reading bug forums for the time being and feature requests are more or less ignored entirely I do not hope for a solution soon. Therefore I am afraid workarounds are all we have ...

The aforementioned method from ''' works, although the details took me a while. A short description to save others time:
(In my case I wanted to divide an image in a grid with 10 columns and 7 rows)

1. Open the image to cut
  2. Create a rectangle in the size of one cell of the grid in the upper, left corner (in my case with a width of 1/10 and height of 1/7 of the image size)
  3. Delete the image layer (it just served as an easy method to get a new document with the right size)
  4. With Duplicate and Transform it is quite easy to copy it many times so it covers the whole image as a grid (in my case 70 rectangles)
  5. Select all of them > Gradient tool > Type: Image > Choose the file of the image to cut
  6. Turn Snap on with options: Snap to spread and Include spread mid points
  7. Move the center of the Gradient tool handles to the center of the image, which should be easy with snapping
  8. Disable the "Maintain fill aspect ratio" option of the Gradient tool (strangely enough the image will be distorted when this is enabled; I assume this is due to the extreme scaling we will need to do)
  9. Move the horizontal handle of the Gradient tool to the right border of the image, while holding Shift (again will snap)
  10. Move the vertical handle to the top of the image in the same way
  11. Switch to Export persona and set your export options
  12. On the Layers tab select all rectangles and click "Create Slice"
  13. On the Slices tab click "Export Slices" (below the list of slices (took me a while to find it... 😉)

1 hour ago, DieterW said:

The aforementioned method from ''works", although the details took me a while. A short description to save others time:

Brilliant !!

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.