You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Divide image equally

Hello, good morning, the first post I post here and I hope not to disturb anyone.

I am new with the program, until now I worked with photoshop. The problem is the following, I am looking for the form or the tool to do something as simple as what appears in the link of the video that I have left below, the tool or operation in question is to be able to divide an image into equal parts of way that I cut an image in equal parts, it's simple, I understand that something like that Affinity Photo should do it but I can not find the form. I have seen that in person exports can be created sectors that then exports cutting them, but my intention is to cut a texture in equal parts as in the video, it is something very simple that I do not see the way to do it automatically, because I understand that manually One each sector will not be no?

Min 1:03

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMC6KVt_4vE

Thank you all.

• Staff

Hi Txamo,

We don't have an automatic way to do this.  You could enable the grid (View>Show Grid) and set the grid up to match the size of export you need and then switch to the Export Persona and use the grid as a guide to create each slice and then export them.

Do we have to create each of the cutting sectors ??

It is crazy in my case should do this with each of the textures and each has a different size and create different grids to divide it perfectly, it is extremely tedious something that should be simple, I expected things like this to work here.
What a bad new.

It would be appreciated, frankly.

I did not expect that something so basic in a program that claims to want to be the competition of Photoshop has to make so much effort in something so basic. Even within the person section itself you could only add when you make a selection the options of dividing it into parts of height and width I think it is very simple and it is used many times.

Thank you.

11 minutes ago, Txamo said:

when you make a selection the options of dividing it into parts of height and width I think it is very simple and it is used many times

Hi Txamo

What do you use this for?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

You can create a first slice and resize it to w/a and h/b (a and b being the number of columns and rows you need), and position this slice at 0,0.

Next move, you dupplicate this slice and reposition it as many time as you need for covering your texture.

If you don't need 100x100 parts, it shouldn't take too many time doing it this way.

Hi carl123

I have textures that we take from photogrammetry, for example from wood or other materials that we later interpret in 3D, if we want to take different boards from these floors, for example we take all the texture, we divide it and we have different variants of it, once divided they are separated all the parts and saved to load them as independent elements.

This is 10 sec and I divided them into perfectly proportional parts without any loss of time (this is only a utility but I have used it for other things many times and I think it is basic to be able to split an image)

Hello Wosven

There are 40 textures and not all of the same proportions, it would be rather tedious to have to do it one at a time but if there is no other way ...

I understand that you mean to do what you say in the person section creating a section? I'm sorry but I do not understand your first sentence, could you teach it with a catch? I would appreciate.

Thank you.

3 hours ago, Txamo said:

program that claims to want to be the competition of Photoshop

Can you substantiate this claim?

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

3 hours ago, Txamo said:

I understand that you mean to do what you say in the person section creating a section? I'm sorry but I do not understand your first sentence, could you teach it with a catch?

I'm sorry, but I don't understand any of this! Please feel free to post in your native language.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi Alfred

It was in response to what Wosven had told me, but I did not understand what he told me to do.

In the person export section, can I create a cut size for my texture and copy and paste it to distribute the cuts I want to make in a texture? That's my doubt.

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Txamo said:

it is a personal appreciation, nothing more

In that case, you should have said “seems to claim” rather than “claims”. ;)

Alfred spacer.png

4 minutes ago, Txamo said:

In the person export section, can I create a cut size for my texture and copy and paste it to distribute the cuts I want to make in a texture?

In the Export Persona, you can create whatever slices you need or want. :)

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

In the Export Persona, you can create whatever slices you need or want. :)

Sorry for my bad English Alfred, in that case how should in person export create a form and copy and paste without having to do it one by one?

Thanks Alfred.

1 hour ago, Txamo said:

it is a personal appreciation

But earlier, you said that it was Serif ("a program that claims").
That's why I was wondering where you have any proof for this claim, because I have never registered anything like that.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

7 hours ago, Txamo said:

I understand that you mean to do what you say in the person section creating a section? I'm sorry but I do not understand your first sentence, could you teach it with a catch? I would appreciate.

Sorry Txamo,

Since my first answer (and it's "she"), I had time to check in Designer and Photo, and wasn't able to dupplicate a slice... It's a case of bad memory ! :S 

I did a lot of slices some weeks ago for creating brushes and I suspect I used the same document to reuse the slices, moving and resizing them around for similar files, or I did use some other tricks...

But nothing as fast as what you are doing in few seconds on another program (which program is it ?).

Sorry again, I usually test first before answering.

Being able to dupplicate, align and rename slices in bulk (instead of slice1, slice2..) would be uefull.

25 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

That's why I was wondering where you have any proof for this claim, because I have never registered anything like that.

25 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

Hi Psenda I have not come to discuss that, if you have sat wrong forgive.

On the other hand I just want to know if there is an option to generate cuts of the same proportions to an image without having to generate all the cuts by hand, one by one.
Thank you.

21 minutes ago, Wosven said:

Sorry Txamo,

Since my first answer (and it's "she"), I had time to check in Designer and Photo, and wasn't able to dupplicate a slice... It's a case of bad memory ! :S 

I did a lot of slices some weeks ago for creating brushes and I suspect I used the same document to reuse the slices, moving and resizing them around for similar files, or I did use some other tricks...

But nothing as fast as what you are doing in few seconds on another program (which program is it ?).

Sorry again, I usually test first before answering.

Being able to dupplicate, align and rename slices in bulk (instead of slice1, slice2..) would be uefull.

Hello Wosven

Thanks for answering, the program I refer to is Photoshop

Min 1:03

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMC6KVt_4vE

As you can see in the example, it is as simple as telling you how many segments you want to divide and their percentage, section them and you already have each independent section ready to export. Having to divide or create each segment and move it, placing it manually seems to me to be impractical, unless somebody knows in some way how to create a proportion and copy it several times with the same result.

Thank you.

5 minutes ago, Wosven said:

Thanks for the link, @Txamo, I don't use slices in Photoshop, and didn't know this was possible. 

Wosven, I use this frequently and I'm surprised I can not do it more easily or something more automated, it seems a very useful tool, imagine if I have to do this with 30-40 images of textures that I have to divide.

It would be helpfull to add scripts or plugins, since some already exists and can do this, depending on guides, for example. 

We just need to wait a little bit for this feature or for scripting possibility.  I only use scripts with inDesign, but being able to do my own scripts to resolve repeatitive tasks and problems that can happen on specific documents, for limited use is really a time saver and some fun that can give a new boost while doing the "same" (sort of) work for years.

On 6/21/2018 at 10:24 AM, Txamo said:

Do we have to create each of the cutting sectors ??

Hello @Txamo,

I want to bring your attention to a function called 'Create Slice' that you find in the 'Export Persona' at the bottom of the 'Layers' palette.

The idea is that you can create any number of slices from layers with one click. Then you can use those slices to export as segments of your image.

What you have to do one time beforehand is to create a grid that consists of a number of rectangles, e.g. 9 rectangles in a 3x3 pattern. You can 'Group' these rectangles and give their borders a distinct colour. The rectangles have no fill.

This group of rectangles works like a split grid. You can transform it to the size of your photo by just dragging the handles.

When you are ready to create your export slices you switch to the 'Export Persona' and 'open' the group of rectangles in the 'Layers Panel' so that you can see them all. Mark all of them and then click on 'Create Slice'. This creates (in this example) nine slices at once and they are ready for export. Switch to the 'Slices Panel' to set your export preferences.

I just hope you can follow my explanation. I'm not able to make a video at the moment even though this certainly would help :)

This is not the tool you are looking for but a way to set up a basic grid that you can use over and over and that offers some sort of a 'one click operation'.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Hi  @dominik, 

When I tried this, I wasn't able to get anything but blank PNGs, sinnce the slices only export the rectangles, not the background image.

For exporting with different image's parts, I would have to copy the background in each rectangle (there's no way to dupplicate a rectangle with a clipped image and this one staying at its original place of 0,0).