You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Jpg export garbage, so disappointed...

It looked like a great app - I simply want to edit images and export them as jpgs for the web. Adobe lets you export for the web and creates beautiful files that are tiny - affinity photo creates large, terrible looking images. I see this was brought up in a forum re the Mac desktop app 3 years ago and hasn’t been resolved. Hey gang - are you going to fix this or should we toss it in the trash?

• Staff

Hey Inlancewetrust,

I'm not seeing a visual difference when I compare an export from Photoshop to an export from Affinity Photo.

The only difference I noticed is that Photoshop gave me a file of 570kb and Affinity gave me a file of 628kb. If I uncheck the option to embed metadata for Affinity, the file comes down to about 620kb. I think Photoshop has this option disabled as default (it was on my machine). So we're taking a 50kb difference. You can also uncheck the option to embed the ICC profile which should bring it down even more.

These numbers will of course increase if we begin with a bigger image (especially a raw file). 

What concerns me about your post is that you are saying the export from Affinity looks terrible. Can you provide the original image along with the export so I can look into this for you?

As an FYI, we know our files can be bigger than exports from other apps and we will want to resolve this.

Sorry for the delay. Attached are 2 images, same save settings, one from photoshop save for web and one exported from affinity. The photoshop file is 1.4 meg and the affinity file is 3.6 - when saving things for the web in smaller sizes it’s a bigger problem as to get a reasonable quality comparison the file size is way too big. There is a quality loss in affinity vs photoshop, but the image size issue means I can’t edit images for the web, which I do all day, so it’s a bummer :(

The files are too big for the forum upload so here is a link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7hekac3xgm16u8v/AAAcUIgS8H9l53y8iYUdPmbda?dl=0

On 6/21/2018 at 1:37 AM, Inlancewetrust said:

It looked like a great app - I simply want to edit images and export them as jpgs for the web. Adobe lets you export for the web and creates beautiful files that are tiny - affinity photo creates large, terrible looking images.

I am mostly using Affinity Photo, although I have Photoshop CS6 and Paintshop Pro 2018.

I export my affinity photos to Jpg for my web page. I am an author and post my book cover pages.

I only get a little larger size if I prefer the size to be big. The quality is exceptional. I can define dpi as well. I can assure you Affinity Photo do not have to back down for other apps.

On 6/21/2018 at 1:37 AM, Inlancewetrust said:

or should we toss it in the trash?

That would be rather extreme, lol.

Anyway, you can always use a third party for the final lossy exports. At a number of companies, it was even frequent from me (using the CS suite) to save the file as tiff, PNG or whatever lossless format, and leave the super crunch operation to highly specialized utilities in that : crunching the size. I remember in the days jpegtran, PNGcrush among others. But I know for example Irfanview makes JPG really small with good quality, and surely you have a ton of options for that with two image browsers/converting utilities that are of the likes of many : XNView and ACDSee. And/or use an open source optimizer (haven't tried yet) like FileOptimizer :  https://sourceforge.net/projects/nikkhokkho/

None of those can do the editing that Affinity Photo allows you to do, but can serve you (I mean, doing all work in AP, then export as lossless to open them in the optimizers. Or do bacth convert-optimizing, a full folder in a button touch. All Irfanview, XNview and ACDSee allow this, pretty well ) in the meantime that AP gets such a crazy compression ratio (as IMO, is not that bad for now...)

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Apparently I uploaded one of the incorrect photos - the issue is that when making the exact same export selections photoshop exports a much smaller file size. Creating art in Affinity then having to open it in photoshop to save it at a useful file size is kind of crazy. I believe I saw a message about them having an issue outputting reasonable file sizes. Back soon...